Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update & Questions

Posted by ChrisO on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018830)

Well I'm feeling a little silly now because I've relapsed - and I was so tremendously excited about the routine I'd developed and it's success! But I went off it for about a week while I had house guests, moved around with them alot and now I'm back in the doldrums.
Thing is, I don't really have nearly as much heel pain as before and one foot is definately better. It's the other foot that has become significantly more severe so I have a couple of questions. One, when I used a rigid pair of orthotics, then a hard cast, I developed a whole new soreness. This one very high at the crest of the arch which makes me think it's not the PF but rather an 'itis' created by the rigid foot gear. (Pod says treatment is the same anyway). My husband had TTS for a long time but my soreness doesn't seem to match what he describes. It's really freaking me out and I'm wondering if I should ask about an MRI.
I found a Chiro who does ART - had my first treatment the other day. I was not happy when the VERY FIRST THING he did was try to talk me into replacing my custom orthotics (softer than those other rigid ones) with an $80.00 pair of Alzners. Although I haven't had relief yet from the softer orthotics, I resented what seemed to be an immediate sales pitch. My question about that is - he explained that the custom orthotic merely supports an existing mechanical problem while the Alzner actually changes the shape/mechanics of the foot. It doesn't make sense to me that changing something that is a natural part of my structure would be a good thing - seems to me it would create lots of new problems. Anyway, The ART treatment was brief but very painful, as expected. My feet felt sort of sore and warmish after but a tad more comfortable for the first several hours after. I go tomorrow for the 2nd treatment. Sorry to be so negative here - but I know ya'll will have some positive input for me!

Re: Update & Questions

Nancy S. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018846)

Chris, some other posters have wondered about that -- whether molding orthotics to injured feet can be a good idea. Maybe your dr. is on to something, even if he did act like a crass salesman. I've wondered it myself, since the rigids(only ones I've ever had) provided minimal relief at best (at first), and then started hurting the non-PF foot. What are Alznacs? (sp.--can't remember from your post). I'm starting to get suspicious of all orthotics and wish I could find shoes that require none (in addition to my Birks).
My condolences on your relapse. I remember you were worried about the houseguests beforehand; you said so here.
I think you should stop feeling silly right now. Happens to the best and worst of us! I myself had three absolutely great days last week, and since then it's been up and down, and the only thing different is how I feel about it: I'm refusing to get panicked or depressed over it, and so far so good. And today happens to be a good day painwise. Why? I don't know. A while back I was keeping a pain journal and stopped. I'm starting it up again tonight, to see if I can figure out what makes a good day, a not so good day, or a bad day. The routine is fairly stable now, so I think any variations (and I always have some) may teach me something. Are you staying back on your old routine, which was working for you, despite the new development? --Nancy

ChrisO on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018855)

Nope, I'm not on the little program. As of today I'm going to spend at least a week doing only minimal massage, stretch, ibuprofen and ice - plus the ART stuff. I'll spend the week catching up on my computer work (wonder what PF sufferers did B4 PC's...) I vaguely remember that I did that before I started my little rehab and I suspect it made a world of difference.
Nancy, you are such a star! I knew that if I was going to get a lift it would most certainly be from you! Thanks

Nancy S. on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018846)

Chris, some other posters have wondered about that -- whether molding orthotics to injured feet can be a good idea. Maybe your dr. is on to something, even if he did act like a crass salesman. I've wondered it myself, since the rigids(only ones I've ever had) provided minimal relief at best (at first), and then started hurting the non-PF foot. What are Alznacs? (sp.--can't remember from your post). I'm starting to get suspicious of all orthotics and wish I could find shoes that require none (in addition to my Birks).
My condolences on your relapse. I remember you were worried about the houseguests beforehand; you said so here.
I think you should stop feeling silly right now. Happens to the best and worst of us! I myself had three absolutely great days last week, and since then it's been up and down, and the only thing different is how I feel about it: I'm refusing to get panicked or depressed over it, and so far so good. And today happens to be a good day painwise. Why? I don't know. A while back I was keeping a pain journal and stopped. I'm starting it up again tonight, to see if I can figure out what makes a good day, a not so good day, or a bad day. The routine is fairly stable now, so I think any variations (and I always have some) may teach me something. Are you staying back on your old routine, which was working for you, despite the new development? --Nancy

ChrisO on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018855)

Nope, I'm not on the little program. As of today I'm going to spend at least a week doing only minimal massage, stretch, ibuprofen and ice - plus the ART stuff. I'll spend the week catching up on my computer work (wonder what PF sufferers did B4 PC's...) I vaguely remember that I did that before I started my little rehab and I suspect it made a world of difference.
Nancy, you are such a star! I knew that if I was going to get a lift it would most certainly be from you! Thanks