Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Endoscopic Plantar Faciotomy

Posted by Joopie on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018834)

Had my left foot operated on in March - still getting a little pain but much better than when I had to rock while standing because of the pain. The surgery was easy. Just slept through it all. Off my feet for a while, but weightbearing within about 10 days. I'm going to have the other one done on May 4. WHile I'm not looking forward to yet more down-time, I am pleased with the prospect of being able to take a walk again before fall. If anyone wants to know details or just check in, please feel free to email me. I recommend this surgery if you have tried all else, like I did. - Joopie

Re: Endoscopic Plantar Faciotomy

caryne on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018867)

I too had surgery march 30th..went back to work last week and had cast taken off Fri. Still tender and i try not to put to much pressure on heel (using crutches if i'm up on foot for very long0. I think it's going to feel a lot better once the initial soreness if over with.

Re: Endoscopic Plantar FaciotomyRe Joopie

Laurie R on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018875)

Hi ,
I tried to e-mail you but the address came back wrong.I would like to talk to you is this your right address?Thanks Laurie R

Nancy M on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018915)

I have posted here many times and it's usually after I read about someone thinking about having Endoscopic Plantar Faciotomy (EPF) or they have had the surgery. So, here is the story of my feet.

My heel pain first started in September/October 1997. I first went to my PCP and after anti-inflammatories from him and then a shot. When neither one if these helped I went to a podiatrist. When I first saw my 'friendly foot doctor' as I call him, I had several things going on in my left foot PF, neuroma, and a stress fracture. I was in a soft cast for the stress fracture for about 7-8 weeks and during that time my PF didn't brother me that much, but I think that was because my foot was in the soft case. After the soft cast came off for the stress fracture the pain was back in my heel.

While trying to get my PF under control I had my first foot surgery (left foot) for a neuroma June 1998.

After trying all the usual stuff to get the PF under control (shots, anit-inflammatories, PT, orthotics, taping, etc.) in September 1998 I decided to have EPF 1/3 release surgery on my left foot. After surgery I was in a hard cast up to my knee on crutches with no weight for one week. Stitches out in one week and then wearing tennis shoes.

March 1999 EPF 1/3 release on my right foot. I was in a cam boot after surgery and able to walk the same day. Stitches out in one week and in the cam boot for about another 6 weeks and then tennis shoes. I asked my doctor why the difference - he changed his procedure.

July 1999 I had neuromas removed from my right and left foot.

So, since 1997 when all this pain started I've had surgery on my feet 4 times and I'm glad to say I'm 100% pain free from the EPF and the neuroma surgeries.

I am having pain in my left foot on the top, side and ankle, but from what my friendly foot doctor and I can figure out, it's not from any of the surgeries I've had. Have tried several things and nothing is helping so tomorrow it's a bone scan.

Like Joopie, please feel free to email me with any questions.

Nancy in AZ

caryne on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018867)

I too had surgery march 30th..went back to work last week and had cast taken off Fri. Still tender and i try not to put to much pressure on heel (using crutches if i'm up on foot for very long0. I think it's going to feel a lot better once the initial soreness if over with.

Re: Endoscopic Plantar FaciotomyRe Joopie

Laurie R on 4/17/00 at 00:00 (018875)

Hi ,
I tried to e-mail you but the address came back wrong.I would like to talk to you is this your right address?Thanks Laurie R

Nancy M on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018915)

I have posted here many times and it's usually after I read about someone thinking about having Endoscopic Plantar Faciotomy (EPF) or they have had the surgery. So, here is the story of my feet.

My heel pain first started in September/October 1997. I first went to my PCP and after anti-inflammatories from him and then a shot. When neither one if these helped I went to a podiatrist. When I first saw my 'friendly foot doctor' as I call him, I had several things going on in my left foot PF, neuroma, and a stress fracture. I was in a soft cast for the stress fracture for about 7-8 weeks and during that time my PF didn't brother me that much, but I think that was because my foot was in the soft case. After the soft cast came off for the stress fracture the pain was back in my heel.

While trying to get my PF under control I had my first foot surgery (left foot) for a neuroma June 1998.

After trying all the usual stuff to get the PF under control (shots, anit-inflammatories, PT, orthotics, taping, etc.) in September 1998 I decided to have EPF 1/3 release surgery on my left foot. After surgery I was in a hard cast up to my knee on crutches with no weight for one week. Stitches out in one week and then wearing tennis shoes.

March 1999 EPF 1/3 release on my right foot. I was in a cam boot after surgery and able to walk the same day. Stitches out in one week and in the cam boot for about another 6 weeks and then tennis shoes. I asked my doctor why the difference - he changed his procedure.

July 1999 I had neuromas removed from my right and left foot.

So, since 1997 when all this pain started I've had surgery on my feet 4 times and I'm glad to say I'm 100% pain free from the EPF and the neuroma surgeries.

I am having pain in my left foot on the top, side and ankle, but from what my friendly foot doctor and I can figure out, it's not from any of the surgeries I've had. Have tried several things and nothing is helping so tomorrow it's a bone scan.

Like Joopie, please feel free to email me with any questions.

Nancy in AZ