Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My doc says stretch/My PT says don't stretch

Posted by Helene M on 4/18/00 at 00:00 (018914)

I've been told the exact opposite by my dr.(physiatrist)& by the PT he referred me to. PT said if it's hurting, don't stretch. Dr. said stretch. The more opinions I get, the more confused I am! I've decided it's just trial & error. I've set myself back too many times in the past few months by doing the classic wall stretches which were apparently too agressive for the state I was in. Now I'm stretching very gently while sitting. Then,I wait until the next day to see if I'm any worse for it. If not I stretch a tiny bit more. I've learned (the hard way)you can't really do much harm if it's very gentle. The hard part is to try not to be overanxious & overstretch. Hope this helps.

Re: My doc says stretch/My PT says don't stretch

Bob G. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018954)

Helene, I agree with what you are doing. The hard part is the patience and not over-stretching.

I found that I could begin stretching gently after wearing the night splint for some time. The night splint lessoned the first-step syndrome and I healed rather quickly with that.

What worked was convincing myself to be patient.

Re: My doc says stretch/My PT says don't stretch

Bob G. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018954)

Helene, I agree with what you are doing. The hard part is the patience and not over-stretching.

I found that I could begin stretching gently after wearing the night splint for some time. The night splint lessoned the first-step syndrome and I healed rather quickly with that.

What worked was convincing myself to be patient.