Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Nancy, have you tried rigging your own?

Posted by Robin B. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018956)

Hi Nancy. When I started walking again last December, I went looking for an athletic shoe that I could wear for a mile or two on pavement. (Birks just don't cut it for walking -- hard to admit for a Birk lover, and I couldn't wear the inserts either.) I am so glad you can wear the Birk inserts -- and I do hope they continue to give you the strength and support you need. If ever you decide you want to have a little change, here is what I did. Maybe it will spawn more creative ideas for you.

I tried and tried and tried. NB, Reebok, Nike, Etonic -- I must have tried a dozen types, maybe more. But what I needed was arch support a la Birk and I couldn't find anything that approached that.

I had 2 pairs of Reeboks at home that had a lot of foam support at the arch. I can't call it arch support -- it was just foam. But a lot of it, a real 'hump' where the arch was. Foam is cheap of course, but it was better than nothing. I went out and bought some equally cheap Dr. Scholl's foam arch supports and layered them on top. Maybe I was just very lucky -- but all the 'arch support' is exactly where I need it I've tried using OTC inserts (3 or 4 different kinds) in my atheltic shoes and nothing feels as good as all my cheap foam. The ticket, I have discovered, is getting that support in just the right place, and in pretty much the same shape as my Birks.

I guess I am lucky. I can walk up to 3 miles now, although I am happier in the 2 or 2.5 range -- and these are the shoes doing it for me. I sure don't generally advocate foam as a support, but I am fortunate that my rigging up some degree of support has worked well for me. I'm even thinking of putting ANOTHER layer of Scholl's foam support in and seeing if it's better.

Anyway, happy hiking, Nancy.

Nancy S. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018960)

No, I've never tried that. But now that you mention it, I know I have a pair of Reeboks (that reach my ankles) someplace, and I might as well fool around with some foam support for the arch, since they're no good alone and I doubt the Birk insert would fit well in them. I just want something besides Birks to wear when working in the barn, so actually the hiking boots are overkill for me, since I don't hike. If they feel good I'll keep using them, tho. I'll try the foam in the Reeboks too. Sometimes it seems like a shoe change helps just based on the change. I'd always meant to ask you if you do your walking in Birks. . . Thanks for the tip, Robin. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018960)

No, I've never tried that. But now that you mention it, I know I have a pair of Reeboks (that reach my ankles) someplace, and I might as well fool around with some foam support for the arch, since they're no good alone and I doubt the Birk insert would fit well in them. I just want something besides Birks to wear when working in the barn, so actually the hiking boots are overkill for me, since I don't hike. If they feel good I'll keep using them, tho. I'll try the foam in the Reeboks too. Sometimes it seems like a shoe change helps just based on the change. I'd always meant to ask you if you do your walking in Birks. . . Thanks for the tip, Robin. --Nancy