Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what does scar tissue feels like?

Posted by alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018973)

I wonder if Laurie you could ask the PT or if anyone could ask or knows how to describe what scar tissue feels like when you massage. My wife and I are doing self-massage religiously and have our own ideas about the scar tissue (and what it feels like when pressed) but I would like to hear from others. I think we used to talk about this on the board way back when but I have forgotten now.

alan k

Re: what does scar tissue feels like?Re Alan

Laurie R on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018984)

Hi Alan,
Ok I will try to do my best to explain scar tissue,in my case this is what my PT has told me .When I first started going back to PT last week when I got my hard cast off he felt my fascia and said your foot is so tight so at that point he did not feel any scar tissue I went back yesterday and when he felt my foot (4 days later) he said there is so much scar tissue when he presses on my fascia you can feel little bumps and it hurts like hell.I knew I had scar tissue built up again when he was rubbing my foot.Before the cast I only had a little bit deep in my foot now it isn't so deep which cause more pain when I walk.I think it is due to the little micro tears I now have in my fascia .Alan can you feel any little bumps in your foot that hurt?Trust me if you have it you will feel it,in my case anywyas.

I hope I answered your question.My very best to you.Laurie R

alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018999)

Thanks Laurie,

I have things that kind of crinkle and squoosh but they don't hurt and aren't bumps. MAssaging is like ironing out wrinkles sort of.

Re: what does scar tissue feels like?

john h on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019002)

it just feels hard alan. not spongy and not much give. you must have a scar somewhere on your magnificent body.

laurie R on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019007)

Alan,
The crackle you have mentioned is scar tissue ,you can hear it when you massage right? I also have that but mine is very painful the reason it is so painful now is my therapist worked my foot very hard yesterday.Laurie R

ChrisO on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019011)

Hey Alan! No Fair! You never told US you had a magnificent body!

alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019019)

no, I can't hear it but it is what I have been calling scar tissue. Just wanted to see if that is what you and your therapist are calling scar tissue.

alan

Laurie R on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018984)

Hi Alan,
Ok I will try to do my best to explain scar tissue,in my case this is what my PT has told me .When I first started going back to PT last week when I got my hard cast off he felt my fascia and said your foot is so tight so at that point he did not feel any scar tissue I went back yesterday and when he felt my foot (4 days later) he said there is so much scar tissue when he presses on my fascia you can feel little bumps and it hurts like hell.I knew I had scar tissue built up again when he was rubbing my foot.Before the cast I only had a little bit deep in my foot now it isn't so deep which cause more pain when I walk.I think it is due to the little micro tears I now have in my fascia .Alan can you feel any little bumps in your foot that hurt?Trust me if you have it you will feel it,in my case anywyas.

I hope I answered your question.My very best to you.Laurie R

alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018999)

Thanks Laurie,

I have things that kind of crinkle and squoosh but they don't hurt and aren't bumps. MAssaging is like ironing out wrinkles sort of.

john h on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019002)

it just feels hard alan. not spongy and not much give. you must have a scar somewhere on your magnificent body.

laurie R on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019007)

Alan,
The crackle you have mentioned is scar tissue ,you can hear it when you massage right? I also have that but mine is very painful the reason it is so painful now is my therapist worked my foot very hard yesterday.Laurie R

ChrisO on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019011)

Hey Alan! No Fair! You never told US you had a magnificent body!

alan k on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019019)

no, I can't hear it but it is what I have been calling scar tissue. Just wanted to see if that is what you and your therapist are calling scar tissue.

alan