Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bromelain info?

Posted by sherrimc on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018974)

Several people have had good results using Bromelain for the inflammation instead of anti-inflammitories. I have bought some and would like some feed back on how much people are using. The bottle says 1-3 tablets a day with meals. I have alot of pain without anti-inflammitories, should I take 3?

Re: Bromelain info?

Nancy S. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018976)

Hi Sherri, the bottle is wrong unless you're using bromelain for digestion. For anti-inflammatory effect, you need to take it between meals, on an empty stomach.
How many gdu's are in each tablet? According to Robin, who has been helped for a quite while now by bromelain, between 1800 and 2400 gdu is the top daily dosage. I take a 600 gdu tablet 3 or 4 times a day. I think it is helping me also. --Nancy

sherri mc on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018978)

Only 100 gdu per tablet is what I have. Did you take anti-inflammitories prior to taking Bromelain? If so, did you wean yourself off anti's while taking Brom. or did you just quit anti's and start Brom.
Thanks Nancy.

Nancy S. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018979)

Hmmm, Sherri, you'll have to pop a lot of those bromelains at 100 gdu. (vitaminshoppe.com has them in 600 gdu tablets at a good price.) Many months ago my pod put me on rx Daypro, but my stomach couldn't take it. After that I didn't take any anti-inflam. at all -- was afraid of stomach damage -- so I didn't have to wean myself off anything else to start the bromelain (about 3 weeks ago). Anyone know how to handle this? Is there any conflict between bromelain and other anti-inflams? --Nancy

LynnB on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018982)

I've been wondering this also. I had heard 1500 GDUs. However, I found a good web site yesterday run by some holistic medical doctors. As you can see from the information I'm pasting below, they recommend a much higher dosage. From my experience, different brands have different effects. I actually got sick from taking a lower dosage of a cheaper brand and seem to be fine with a higher dosage of a better one. (Can't remember either brands but I bought them from a non-chain health food store.)

--Bromelain's activity is measured in GDUs (gelatin digesting units) or MCUs (milk clotting units). One GDU equals roughly 1.5 MCUs. To figure your bromelain dosage, use a product's GDUs or MCUs as a guideline. Although milligram (mg) dosages are listed below, be aware that these amounts can vary greatly from brand to brand.

For inflammation, muscle and joint pain, and injuries: Take 500 mg three times a day between meals; this 1,500 mg should supply 6,000 GDU or 9,000 MCU daily.

Nancy S. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018976)

Hi Sherri, the bottle is wrong unless you're using bromelain for digestion. For anti-inflammatory effect, you need to take it between meals, on an empty stomach.
How many gdu's are in each tablet? According to Robin, who has been helped for a quite while now by bromelain, between 1800 and 2400 gdu is the top daily dosage. I take a 600 gdu tablet 3 or 4 times a day. I think it is helping me also. --Nancy

sherri mc on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018978)

Only 100 gdu per tablet is what I have. Did you take anti-inflammitories prior to taking Bromelain? If so, did you wean yourself off anti's while taking Brom. or did you just quit anti's and start Brom.
Thanks Nancy.

Nancy S. on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018979)

Hmmm, Sherri, you'll have to pop a lot of those bromelains at 100 gdu. (vitaminshoppe.com has them in 600 gdu tablets at a good price.) Many months ago my pod put me on rx Daypro, but my stomach couldn't take it. After that I didn't take any anti-inflam. at all -- was afraid of stomach damage -- so I didn't have to wean myself off anything else to start the bromelain (about 3 weeks ago). Anyone know how to handle this? Is there any conflict between bromelain and other anti-inflams? --Nancy

LynnB on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (018982)

I've been wondering this also. I had heard 1500 GDUs. However, I found a good web site yesterday run by some holistic medical doctors. As you can see from the information I'm pasting below, they recommend a much higher dosage. From my experience, different brands have different effects. I actually got sick from taking a lower dosage of a cheaper brand and seem to be fine with a higher dosage of a better one. (Can't remember either brands but I bought them from a non-chain health food store.)

--Bromelain's activity is measured in GDUs (gelatin digesting units) or MCUs (milk clotting units). One GDU equals roughly 1.5 MCUs. To figure your bromelain dosage, use a product's GDUs or MCUs as a guideline. Although milligram (mg) dosages are listed below, be aware that these amounts can vary greatly from brand to brand.

For inflammation, muscle and joint pain, and injuries: Take 500 mg three times a day between meals; this 1,500 mg should supply 6,000 GDU or 9,000 MCU daily.