Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have learned....

Posted by VioletD on 4/19/00 at 00:00 (019030)

that not all treatments are absolutely right for everyone. Scott's information allowed me to educate myself more completely about pf and the mechanics of my foot. I weigh the pros and cons of what is said on the board, and use what makes sense to me. I learned here that at first I approached stretching much too strenuously, but I also learned that I must stretch more faithfully than I had been. I threw out icing as a treatment for me, even though most people swear by it, since my heels seemed to ache more for days afterward. Everyone is an individual and should do what helps them.

Re: I have learned....

Bob G. on 4/20/00 at 00:00 (019034)

I agree, Viotet, icing is out for the sake of icing. It hurts me, also, and I discovered it was doing more harm than good.

With that said, I do ice AFTER jogging or a long day 'pushing the envelope', but only for 5 to 8 minutes. That's when it seems to contribute (lessens swelling or inflamation, I forget which). But after about 5 minutes I get ready to stop icing depending on how it feels, then at about 8 minutes I know that's enough.

I also am taking ibuprofen before jogging, but hope to phase that out over time. I feel okay with icing after a workout, but guardedly.

Regarding stretching I would suggest, when in doubt, don't. Better to rest it. When it stops hurting you can begin gentle brief stretches. Stretching has worked better, I've noticed, for new sufferers early on; but once PF gets its hold on ya I have noticed more need to stop or go very very gentle.
(I don't want to have to start over again, I'm almost out of E tickets.)

This is just my opinionated opinion which is sauteed with mushrooms in garlic.

dfeet on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019083)

MMMmmmm,Bob, sounds delicious! You're right. What works for one does not always work for another. For me Icing is key. After about 20 mins it alleviates some of the pain. But then I have PF and TTS, so perhaps most of my pain is generated by the TTS.-dfeet
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=-1
Voter identities: att.net

Bob G. on 4/20/00 at 00:00 (019034)

I agree, Viotet, icing is out for the sake of icing. It hurts me, also, and I discovered it was doing more harm than good.

With that said, I do ice AFTER jogging or a long day 'pushing the envelope', but only for 5 to 8 minutes. That's when it seems to contribute (lessens swelling or inflamation, I forget which). But after about 5 minutes I get ready to stop icing depending on how it feels, then at about 8 minutes I know that's enough.

I also am taking ibuprofen before jogging, but hope to phase that out over time. I feel okay with icing after a workout, but guardedly.

Regarding stretching I would suggest, when in doubt, don't. Better to rest it. When it stops hurting you can begin gentle brief stretches. Stretching has worked better, I've noticed, for new sufferers early on; but once PF gets its hold on ya I have noticed more need to stop or go very very gentle.
(I don't want to have to start over again, I'm almost out of E tickets.)

This is just my opinionated opinion which is sauteed with mushrooms in garlic.

dfeet on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019083)

MMMmmmm,Bob, sounds delicious! You're right. What works for one does not always work for another. For me Icing is key. After about 20 mins it alleviates some of the pain. But then I have PF and TTS, so perhaps most of my pain is generated by the TTS.-dfeet
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=-1
Voter identities: att.net