Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I go for treatment?

Posted by Pauline K on 4/20/00 at 00:00 (019049)

I have had PF on and off since 1993. It never really goes away but gets better with Physical Therapy treatments. I do not have bone
spurs on either foot. My pain is located directly up the entire length of the plantar fascia and slightly ahead of the attachment point in the heel toward the arch side of the foot. I cannot do
any extended walking or the pain gets worse. I exercise, splint
and ice everyday since 1993. I am most comfortable barefoot. I am scheduled for OssaTron next week on both feet. I know the pain I am experiencing now and don't want it to get worse especially when I know with about 12 to 14 weeks of Physical Therapy will get rid it it for a short time.

Has anyone had both feet done at the same time. Should I go for
the stronger Ossa Tron or try the weak ones since my pain is concentrated over the entire fascia.

Would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Since reading the other entries I am worried because some of the others seem worse after treatment. We have a trip scheduled in May to Europe and that means walking. The Dr. in Toronto said no problem, but since reading the other entries I really wonder. They seem eager to get Americans in for treatment but not too eager to answer follow up problems. I want the truth. Thank You
posted to the eswt board

Re: Should I go for treatment?

GinaC on 4/20/00 at 00:00 (019054)

I can't advise you about going for treatment, but treatment coupled with going to Europe and lots of walking so soon might be a concern. Everyone is different and you might do just fine with it, but for me, walking one-half mile around the block 5 weeks after treatment caused a setback and temporary increase in pain. That walk lasted about 10-12 minutes! Also, during the first month post-treatment I was advised to take it easy and limit activity, plus I was in physical therapy having ultrasound treatments as requested by treating MD. It seems really difficult to predict how much pain, where the pain will be, and for how long, etc. beforehand. It also surprises me that I can feel fine during an activity, but then have more pain the next day; sometimes you don't find out something was 'too much' till it's too late! By the way, I only had one foot treated. Good luck with whatever you decide. Gina
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019211)

If you are having pain the entire width of the plantar fasica and the length then ESWT isn't going to resolve the entire problem Please read my e-mail message about the best clinical and physical examination for heel spur surgery and ESWT

john h on 4/26/00 at 00:00 (019413)

i also have bilaterial PF. for 6 years or so. i plan on an orbasone treatment in the near future. i personally have decided to do one foot at a time. since the focal point of all these machines is narrow if you have pain all up & down your fascia i will be interested to know where they focus the treatment. my pain is very much centered where the fascia attaches to the heel and is probably the size of a half dollar. with any pain in the feet you can unknowingly change the way you walk and the way your foot strikes the ground in order to avoid pain. in so doing you can create new pains at various points on your foot. my office manager asked me why i was limping yesterday. i did not know or still do not know that i am limping. my wife has never has mentioned me limping.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

GinaC on 4/20/00 at 00:00 (019054)

I can't advise you about going for treatment, but treatment coupled with going to Europe and lots of walking so soon might be a concern. Everyone is different and you might do just fine with it, but for me, walking one-half mile around the block 5 weeks after treatment caused a setback and temporary increase in pain. That walk lasted about 10-12 minutes! Also, during the first month post-treatment I was advised to take it easy and limit activity, plus I was in physical therapy having ultrasound treatments as requested by treating MD. It seems really difficult to predict how much pain, where the pain will be, and for how long, etc. beforehand. It also surprises me that I can feel fine during an activity, but then have more pain the next day; sometimes you don't find out something was 'too much' till it's too late! By the way, I only had one foot treated. Good luck with whatever you decide. Gina
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019211)

If you are having pain the entire width of the plantar fasica and the length then ESWT isn't going to resolve the entire problem Please read my e-mail message about the best clinical and physical examination for heel spur surgery and ESWT

john h on 4/26/00 at 00:00 (019413)

i also have bilaterial PF. for 6 years or so. i plan on an orbasone treatment in the near future. i personally have decided to do one foot at a time. since the focal point of all these machines is narrow if you have pain all up & down your fascia i will be interested to know where they focus the treatment. my pain is very much centered where the fascia attaches to the heel and is probably the size of a half dollar. with any pain in the feet you can unknowingly change the way you walk and the way your foot strikes the ground in order to avoid pain. in so doing you can create new pains at various points on your foot. my office manager asked me why i was limping yesterday. i did not know or still do not know that i am limping. my wife has never has mentioned me limping.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: