Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The most insidious characteristic of pf...

Posted by VickiJ on 4/20/00 at 00:00 (019051)

is what you have just discovered....there are no two experts that can agree on the cause, let alone the best treatment.

Scott's document is the best treatise on the subject that I have been able to find and I have been looking for three years. The most important factor in healing is to get to know your own body. And study Scott's book and the success stories you will find here. But The most important tool you have is your own brain and intuition. For example...Bob G's posting just below COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS what worked for me. I was on crutches and could not put any weight on my feet at all until after I had iced, massaged and stretched (10 'mini' sessions per day...using methods that go against the 'prevailing attitudes' on this board right now) FOR SEVERAL MONTHS...then I graduated to a cane...and now I can walk for about 6 blocks without either. I still have pain and I'm trying MikeW's PFTs (which I am suspicious would have healed me right away if I could have used them in the early days of my PF). Robin who has had success never used stretching! Others swear by night splints.

You have to try everything...and discover what gives you relief. And yes, you have to be careful with any type of exercising or stretching or weight lifting etc.There are dozens of 'streching' methods out there...because no human body is the same and you have to find the one that feels best and works best for your muscles. Stop reading so much and pick which method you feel most comfortable trying and then LISTEN TO YOUR BODY while you teach yourself and you'll learn what works for you.

Re: The most insidious characteristic of pf...

Bob G. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019075)

Hi, Vickie! I just don't understand how if you cannot put any weight on your foot you can do so AFTER stretching, icing, etc...this just baffles me...to my understanding, there is no instant cure...mine took lots of rest without stretching.
You are right, each person is different and each much search for a cure as such.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy for your progress - as I am sure you are mine. This just goes to show that we are different - what works for me may not work for you - and vice versa.
Best wishes for your recovery.

alan k on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019149)

I hope my posts recently haven't overdone it and contributed to the 'prevailing attitude' you were speaking of. I hope was clear that I was recommending gentle stretching for those for whom stretching has not helped or has made things worse. Others should proceed straight to continue with regular and vigorous stretching as recommended by their medical professional.

Thanks for keeping up the variety of info, Vicky. It is important that the message board does not settle into any kind of consensus on something so variable, whether that consensus be about the benefits of stretching or the evils of surgery, whatever...

I already know you agree. I look forward to a post from someone who disagrees and thinks we should all agree.

alan k
Vote for or against this post. vote=0

Bob G. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019075)

Hi, Vickie! I just don't understand how if you cannot put any weight on your foot you can do so AFTER stretching, icing, etc...this just baffles me...to my understanding, there is no instant cure...mine took lots of rest without stretching.
You are right, each person is different and each much search for a cure as such.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy for your progress - as I am sure you are mine. This just goes to show that we are different - what works for me may not work for you - and vice versa.
Best wishes for your recovery.

alan k on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019149)

I hope my posts recently haven't overdone it and contributed to the 'prevailing attitude' you were speaking of. I hope was clear that I was recommending gentle stretching for those for whom stretching has not helped or has made things worse. Others should proceed straight to continue with regular and vigorous stretching as recommended by their medical professional.

Thanks for keeping up the variety of info, Vicky. It is important that the message board does not settle into any kind of consensus on something so variable, whether that consensus be about the benefits of stretching or the evils of surgery, whatever...

I already know you agree. I look forward to a post from someone who disagrees and thinks we should all agree.

alan k
Vote for or against this post. vote=0