Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Testing ability to vote for messages

Posted by Scott R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019077)

If I can get this to work, the following will be added to the end of each message:

vote=-3
Voter identities: aol.com cable.mindspring.com Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.'.

Re: Testing ability to vote for messages

Scott R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019078)

test
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=0 Voter identities: aol.com mindspring.com

Scott R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019079)

test2
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=-1 Voter identities: mindspring.com mindspring.com mindspring.com

Nancy S. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019080)

Hi Scott, I don't know what to make of this. My first reaction was that it might be good to have a Best of Heelspurs.com section. But I started this morning to respond to a couple of other posts -- for example, I wanted to cheer on Suzanne for her good attitude and havng the smarts and guts to use a wheelchair at her job in order to rest her feet -- but personally I found the 'audition' feeling of 'Best of . . .' and voting to be kind of paralyzing. Makes me self-conscious. I don't know if it will others, but thought I'd register my discomfort. If you decide to keep it, maybe I'll get used to it and be able to put it out of my mind. I don't know. --Nancy
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=0

VickiJ on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019088)

I also have reservations....what exactly IS 'the best of heelspurs.com'?? After all, there is a search option for this site. Just because people may be lazy or 'time impaired' and not use it doesn't mean a 'popularity' contest should determine the value of the content.

I am afraid it would set up a false sense of security for new visitors to the site. Such as: 'Gee, a lot of people like what this guy says so this must be the cure'.

john h on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019119)

i have no problem with the best messages vote. if scott can gather the best post and condense them into a book or whatever it may provide relief to some poor soul with pf.
Vote for or against this post. vote=5
Voter identities: snfca060-0251.splitrock.net snfca060-0251.splitrock.net snfca060-0251.splitrock.net snfca060-0251.splitrock.net solar.sky.net

wendyn on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019130)

Scott, I like the idea of expanding and empahsizing the search function - and perhaps adding a Frequently Asked Questions section.(as I believe Kim mentioned)..suggested questions...

What kind of shoes help and or look good? (Recommendations and direct to search function.

Are most people helped by orthotics/nightsplints/shots?

What kind of exercise can people with PF do to help keep off extra weight?

These questions (and I'm sure other people can think of lots) seem to come up quite often and it might be helpful to address them for everyone that comes to the board.

I don't have much of an opinion on the voting....I would like to see a 'Best of' section. Some posts have been paricularly moving or humorous or helpful. That said, I find the voting info on each post to be very distracting and it does remind me a bit of a popularity contest.

Whatever works though - makes no huge difference to me.
Vote for or against this post. vote=0

Bob G. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019142)

I think this is a good idea. Time will tell. If it helps someone get over the pain, why not.

If it works, it works. If not, it doesn't work. Well worth the try.

Even if it pans out to be a popularity contest...who do you vote for?

alan k on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019148)

I wonder if it might be intimidating to new visitors knowing that their post might be voted against.

alan k

dfeet on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019170)

To vote or not to vote? Well, I think many have expressed excellent points concerning the good/bad of the voting Idea. Maybe you can change the nomenclature by stating it is a survey or the like, rather than a vote.
Scott, I think the range of reactions may have to do with the issue that voting, though unintentionally, connotes good or bad and a seemingly competitive atmosphere. Perhaps changing the nomenclature will dispell any deterent to accumulating 'best of' data and info. Also, it may be less intimidating to the 'posters' in that they wouldn't have that 'pressure' of writing a stellar post.
I agree that I don't use the archives as often as I probably could. But I do like the spontaneity of the board. Thanks for all your efforts on this site. You are helping a great deal of people.-dfeet

Scott R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019078)

test
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=0 Voter identities: aol.com mindspring.com

Scott R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019079)

test2
Vote for or against this post to be in 'The best of heelspurs.com.' vote=-1 Voter identities: mindspring.com mindspring.com mindspring.com

Nancy S. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019080)

Hi Scott, I don't know what to make of this. My first reaction was that it might be good to have a Best of Heelspurs.com section. But I started this morning to respond to a couple of other posts -- for example, I wanted to cheer on Suzanne for her good attitude and havng the smarts and guts to use a wheelchair at her job in order to rest her feet -- but personally I found the 'audition' feeling of 'Best of . . .' and voting to be kind of paralyzing. Makes me self-conscious. I don't know if it will others, but thought I'd register my discomfort. If you decide to keep it, maybe I'll get used to it and be able to put it out of my mind. I don't know. --Nancy

VickiJ on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019088)

I also have reservations....what exactly IS 'the best of heelspurs.com'?? After all, there is a search option for this site. Just because people may be lazy or 'time impaired' and not use it doesn't mean a 'popularity' contest should determine the value of the content.

I am afraid it would set up a false sense of security for new visitors to the site. Such as: 'Gee, a lot of people like what this guy says so this must be the cure'.

john h on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019119)

i have no problem with the best messages vote. if scott can gather the best post and condense them into a book or whatever it may provide relief to some poor soul with pf.
Vote for or against this post. vote=5
Voter identities: snfca060-0251.splitrock.net snfca060-0251.splitrock.net snfca060-0251.splitrock.net snfca060-0251.splitrock.net solar.sky.net

wendyn on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019130)

Scott, I like the idea of expanding and empahsizing the search function - and perhaps adding a Frequently Asked Questions section.(as I believe Kim mentioned)..suggested questions...

What kind of shoes help and or look good? (Recommendations and direct to search function.

Are most people helped by orthotics/nightsplints/shots?

What kind of exercise can people with PF do to help keep off extra weight?

These questions (and I'm sure other people can think of lots) seem to come up quite often and it might be helpful to address them for everyone that comes to the board.

I don't have much of an opinion on the voting....I would like to see a 'Best of' section. Some posts have been paricularly moving or humorous or helpful. That said, I find the voting info on each post to be very distracting and it does remind me a bit of a popularity contest.

Whatever works though - makes no huge difference to me.

Bob G. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019142)

I think this is a good idea. Time will tell. If it helps someone get over the pain, why not.

If it works, it works. If not, it doesn't work. Well worth the try.

Even if it pans out to be a popularity contest...who do you vote for?

alan k on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019148)

I wonder if it might be intimidating to new visitors knowing that their post might be voted against.

alan k

dfeet on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019170)

To vote or not to vote? Well, I think many have expressed excellent points concerning the good/bad of the voting Idea. Maybe you can change the nomenclature by stating it is a survey or the like, rather than a vote.
Scott, I think the range of reactions may have to do with the issue that voting, though unintentionally, connotes good or bad and a seemingly competitive atmosphere. Perhaps changing the nomenclature will dispell any deterent to accumulating 'best of' data and info. Also, it may be less intimidating to the 'posters' in that they wouldn't have that 'pressure' of writing a stellar post.
I agree that I don't use the archives as often as I probably could. But I do like the spontaneity of the board. Thanks for all your efforts on this site. You are helping a great deal of people.-dfeet