Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Update

Posted by BJC on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019099)

I feel so bad reading the messages from the past few days, that I feel I must give my perspective to give you some options and some hope. I had endoscopic PF surgery 3 months ago, which has been chronicled on this board. After 3 months, I am able to EVERYTHING I used to be able to do, and I'm pain-free. I've been gardening, can shop all day - I do these things in Reeboks with orthotics (rigid). I am also able to wear regular shoes for a few hours at a time, but have not reached the point where I am really comfortable in them all day. I also walk barefoot for a few hours each day, and am using more heel strike. No pain meds whatsoever. All in all, my foot keeps getting stronger, and I hope the next three months will bring about a complete recovery. Also, I had a cortisone shot in the other foot at the same time as my surgery. With the post-surgical rest, it really helped my foot, although the PF is still there. I just want to let you know that you do have options that can work, and you can take back some control of your life. Good luck to all of you!
Vote for or against this post. vote=4
Voter identities: solar.sky.net home.com home.com

Re: Surgery Update

Nancy S. on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015946)

BJC, that's terrific -- congratulations to you. As I think you noted earlier, many of us here are leery of surgery, which I think is natural and not without reason. But I know there are many successful surgeries out there too, and we do need to hear about them, so I hope you will keep posting. Some of us may end up going that route at some point, if all else fails, including time. Hope you have pain-free days forever! --Nancy S.

BJC on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015948)

Thanks! Just want to encourage those of you who may be fearful...it's not necessarily as bad as you have been led to believe! I feel very badly for those who seemingly are chasing treatments that are 'unusual', i.e., grape seed extract, cherry juice, etc. They may seem to help, but can you honestly expect this to change your feet completely? As a medical professional I have a litle expertise, and have spent my life helping others. If my encouragement helps, that's great! Good luck to you all!

Re: Surgery UpdateRe BJC

Laurie R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019102)

Hello BJC,
I am so glad to hear you are doing so well.Keep up whatever you are doing we know their is hope just sometimes it is hard to think like that when you are in so much pain and have a set back but you just made it easy to see. Thank you so much for your wonderful post.My very best to you.Laurie R
Vote for or against this post. vote=-1
Voter identities: home.com

BJC on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019116)

I know you've had a rough time, Laurie, and also know how you can think you will never get better, but YOU WILL! Just keep looking for those things that work for you, and have faith that the answer will be there. We will be here for you, too. Good Luck!
Vote for or against this post. vote=0

Nancy S. on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015946)

BJC, that's terrific -- congratulations to you. As I think you noted earlier, many of us here are leery of surgery, which I think is natural and not without reason. But I know there are many successful surgeries out there too, and we do need to hear about them, so I hope you will keep posting. Some of us may end up going that route at some point, if all else fails, including time. Hope you have pain-free days forever! --Nancy S.

BJC on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015948)

Thanks! Just want to encourage those of you who may be fearful...it's not necessarily as bad as you have been led to believe! I feel very badly for those who seemingly are chasing treatments that are 'unusual', i.e., grape seed extract, cherry juice, etc. They may seem to help, but can you honestly expect this to change your feet completely? As a medical professional I have a litle expertise, and have spent my life helping others. If my encouragement helps, that's great! Good luck to you all!

Laurie R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019102)

Hello BJC,
I am so glad to hear you are doing so well.Keep up whatever you are doing we know their is hope just sometimes it is hard to think like that when you are in so much pain and have a set back but you just made it easy to see. Thank you so much for your wonderful post.My very best to you.Laurie R
Vote for or against this post. vote=-1
Voter identities: home.com

BJC on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019116)

I know you've had a rough time, Laurie, and also know how you can think you will never get better, but YOU WILL! Just keep looking for those things that work for you, and have faith that the answer will be there. We will be here for you, too. Good Luck!
Vote for or against this post. vote=0