Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need help creating a FAQ

Posted by Scott R on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019131)

What are some good questions for a Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ) page? What are the answers?

wendyn suggested these questions:

What kind of shoes help and or look good?
Are most people helped by orthotics/nightsplints/shots?
What kind of exercise can people with PF do to help keep off extra weight?

Vote for or against this post. vote=9
Voter identities: intercom.com aol.com aol.com aol.com aol.com snfca020-0265.splitrock.net snfca020-0265.splitrock.net snfca020-0265.splitrock.net att.net

Re: Need help creating a FAQ

Bob G. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019135)

How do you know if you really have PF?
How do you find a good Podiatrist?
What is a Pedorthist?
How important is rest?
When should I stretch and what are the proper exercises?

Vote for or against this post. vote=-1
Voter identities: solar.sky.net

Jill P on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019136)

What is the commonly recommended treatment protocol (in what order do most doctors try what) if there is one?

How will treatment vary if there is a heel spur present along with the PF?

Also you have a good list of what people have found to be the most helpful, but it is really long and some things are listed several times in different places due to incorrect spellings or other brand names such as Advil, Motrin, or Ibuprofen (sp?). Maybe there could be more concise list which would categorize things such as pain relievers or anti-inflamatory drugs and then list those names together. There might be other things that could be categorized together such as shoes and some things that would not fit in a category and so listed separately.
Vote for or against this post. vote=0

Nancy S. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019137)

Scott, here are some more questions ideas. (For me, answers would be step 2, once the questions are decided upon.)

o Should I wait out this pain, or seek treatment now?

o I have cut my running down from 6 miles a day to 3 miles a day. Is this enough?

o What are some non-weight-bearing stretches I can do while I have inflammation or pain?

o What are some good questions to ask the foot doctor at the first appointment?

o What are the usual noninvasive conservative treatments that I should expect a good foot doctor to offer me or inform me about?

o How long should I try conservative treatments before considering surgery?

o How can I rest my feet when I lead such a busy life?

o Do anti-inflammatories help, and what kinds (natural and not) help people the most?

o Do dietary changes help people with PF?

o Are custom orthotics worth the money?

o How do people with foot pain deal with the depression it sometimes brings about?

o Should I try ESWT before considering surgery?

o What tests should I expect the doctor to do in order to diagnose my problem?

o Is physical therapy helpful to most people with PF?

o Why do people say that I shouldn't go barefoot? How about in the shower?

Just thoughts off the top of my head so far. --Nancy

Kim B. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019138)

Q: What causes PF? A: The exact cause is unknown, though a variety of things could contribute... (Scott you'll have to figure out the best answer for this one. I'm clueless. 'Bad luck' is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.)

Q: How long will I have this? A: It varies. Some have had it for a few weeks or months, while others develop chronic cases that are with them throughout their lives. The key to remission may be early detection and finding the right therapy combination for your unique situation.

Q: Is PF caused by being overweight? A: Not specifically, thin people get PF too. However, excessive weight can exasperate the condition.

Q: Should I see a Medical Doctor? What kind? A: Medical attention is needed to rule out other illness and complications that can occur and to receive certain treatments that can help with this condition. Doctors that treat this condition include Orthopedists, Podiatrists, General Practioners, (Scott, you know the correct answers, I'm just taking a stab at it.)

Q: What therapies are used to treat persons with this condition? A: Anti-inflammatory medication, lots of foot rest, casting, cortisone injections, prescription or 'over the counter' (OTC) orthodics, massage and foot reflexology, surgery,... (Scott, you'll have to finish this up I really don't know the answers offhand.)

Scott: These are merely suggestions to help you get the ball rolling. I will not be offended if you decide against using any of them. Please feel free to correct my answers.

Regards, Kim B.

Martha B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019151)

You guys and gals are a genius!!!KEEP THINKING!! You are making Scotts effort much less effortless.

john h on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019186)

1. does accupuncture or reflexology help PF?
2. do i need custom orthotics?
3. should i see a poditrist, family doctor, or orthopedic surgeon?
4. Is rest ing the feet important for my recovery?
5. can a chiropractor help me?
6. what are the best kind of shoes to wear?

Lori E. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019189)

The questions suggested so far are great! I also thing that if you wanted to add links to drnorthrup.com with her healing thought for the day, or askdrweil.com and even a low carb diet page would be helpful additions. I know that when I first came here my most pressing questions were:
What kinds of shoes would work for my kind of feet and situation (low, high arch, flat feet, cement floors at the workplace, )?
What kinds of supplements are useful?
Is PT, massage, acupuncture helpful?
What kinds of orthodics are effetive?
What exercises/stretches are helpful?
What how long will the average recovery take?
What kinds of lifestyle changes will speed my recovery? (rest, avoiding going barefoot,low carb diet, etc.)
Questions to ask your doctor about conservative and alternative treatments?
What can a PF sufferer do about the depression resulting from chronic pain?
Where can I find alternative medical information?

Scott, thanks for all you effort to maintain and improve this site. I check it almost everyday, and it has sustained me through some pretty dark times. I for one appreciate all you hard work. eom.

Re: Need help creating a FAQ -- a few more

Nancy S. on 4/23/00 at 00:00 (019232)

o What is TTS?

o What is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical' plantar fasciitis?

o Many people on this board seem to have really serious PF. Is it likely that I'm going to be in that situation too?

o Exactly how does the search function on the message board work best?

Bob G. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019135)

How do you know if you really have PF?
How do you find a good Podiatrist?
What is a Pedorthist?
How important is rest?
When should I stretch and what are the proper exercises?

Jill P on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019136)

What is the commonly recommended treatment protocol (in what order do most doctors try what) if there is one?

How will treatment vary if there is a heel spur present along with the PF?

Also you have a good list of what people have found to be the most helpful, but it is really long and some things are listed several times in different places due to incorrect spellings or other brand names such as Advil, Motrin, or Ibuprofen (sp?). Maybe there could be more concise list which would categorize things such as pain relievers or anti-inflamatory drugs and then list those names together. There might be other things that could be categorized together such as shoes and some things that would not fit in a category and so listed separately.

Nancy S. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019137)

Scott, here are some more questions ideas. (For me, answers would be step 2, once the questions are decided upon.)

o Should I wait out this pain, or seek treatment now?

o I have cut my running down from 6 miles a day to 3 miles a day. Is this enough?

o What are some non-weight-bearing stretches I can do while I have inflammation or pain?

o What are some good questions to ask the foot doctor at the first appointment?

o What are the usual noninvasive conservative treatments that I should expect a good foot doctor to offer me or inform me about?

o How long should I try conservative treatments before considering surgery?

o How can I rest my feet when I lead such a busy life?

o Do anti-inflammatories help, and what kinds (natural and not) help people the most?

o Do dietary changes help people with PF?

o Are custom orthotics worth the money?

o How do people with foot pain deal with the depression it sometimes brings about?

o Should I try ESWT before considering surgery?

o What tests should I expect the doctor to do in order to diagnose my problem?

o Is physical therapy helpful to most people with PF?

o Why do people say that I shouldn't go barefoot? How about in the shower?

Just thoughts off the top of my head so far. --Nancy

Kim B. on 4/21/00 at 00:00 (019138)

Q: What causes PF? A: The exact cause is unknown, though a variety of things could contribute... (Scott you'll have to figure out the best answer for this one. I'm clueless. 'Bad luck' is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.)

Q: How long will I have this? A: It varies. Some have had it for a few weeks or months, while others develop chronic cases that are with them throughout their lives. The key to remission may be early detection and finding the right therapy combination for your unique situation.

Q: Is PF caused by being overweight? A: Not specifically, thin people get PF too. However, excessive weight can exasperate the condition.

Q: Should I see a Medical Doctor? What kind? A: Medical attention is needed to rule out other illness and complications that can occur and to receive certain treatments that can help with this condition. Doctors that treat this condition include Orthopedists, Podiatrists, General Practioners, (Scott, you know the correct answers, I'm just taking a stab at it.)

Q: What therapies are used to treat persons with this condition? A: Anti-inflammatory medication, lots of foot rest, casting, cortisone injections, prescription or 'over the counter' (OTC) orthodics, massage and foot reflexology, surgery,... (Scott, you'll have to finish this up I really don't know the answers offhand.)

Scott: These are merely suggestions to help you get the ball rolling. I will not be offended if you decide against using any of them. Please feel free to correct my answers.

Regards, Kim B.

Martha B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019151)

You guys and gals are a genius!!!KEEP THINKING!! You are making Scotts effort much less effortless.

john h on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019186)

1. does accupuncture or reflexology help PF?
2. do i need custom orthotics?
3. should i see a poditrist, family doctor, or orthopedic surgeon?
4. Is rest ing the feet important for my recovery?
5. can a chiropractor help me?
6. what are the best kind of shoes to wear?

Lori E. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019189)

The questions suggested so far are great! I also thing that if you wanted to add links to drnorthrup.com with her healing thought for the day, or askdrweil.com and even a low carb diet page would be helpful additions. I know that when I first came here my most pressing questions were:
What kinds of shoes would work for my kind of feet and situation (low, high arch, flat feet, cement floors at the workplace, )?
What kinds of supplements are useful?
Is PT, massage, acupuncture helpful?
What kinds of orthodics are effetive?
What exercises/stretches are helpful?
What how long will the average recovery take?
What kinds of lifestyle changes will speed my recovery? (rest, avoiding going barefoot,low carb diet, etc.)
Questions to ask your doctor about conservative and alternative treatments?
What can a PF sufferer do about the depression resulting from chronic pain?
Where can I find alternative medical information?

Scott, thanks for all you effort to maintain and improve this site. I check it almost everyday, and it has sustained me through some pretty dark times. I for one appreciate all you hard work. eom.

Re: Need help creating a FAQ -- a few more

Nancy S. on 4/23/00 at 00:00 (019232)

o What is TTS?

o What is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical' plantar fasciitis?

o Many people on this board seem to have really serious PF. Is it likely that I'm going to be in that situation too?

o Exactly how does the search function on the message board work best?