Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Hi Jill & everyone else whose responded

Posted by Beverly on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019147)

Hi Jill & to everyone who has responded to this heading:
Well, I'm thinking about this night splint. I am now at the one month mark. (I know, no time at all really, but feels like an eternity.)
I have an appointment with doc first week in May (to get fitted for custom orthodics.) So, I'll ask about it. Still curious to hear from you all about your experience with custom orthotics - especially nonrigid ones. Like I said, my doc's are made of some kind of foam that smushes down over a couple of weeks as it molds to your foot.

Keep in mind, my pain is as bad in arches as in heels - actually worse.

I have stayed away from anti-inflammatories because taking them for Endometriosis started bothering my stomach. Ice seems to be good for me/combined with wet heat afterwards. At least, I get tempoarary relief. I am afraid of cortizone and given what I've read here about it, I'm not likely to give into that.

My current shoes are Aasics GT12050. Doctor and shoe store both like them for my narrow foot with a high arch. I'm only about 20-25 lbs overweight, but I wonder if loosing 20 lbs would help. (That was what I was trying to do to begin with when I hurt myself on the track - walking, not running but in poor quality sneakers.)

I'm trying my 'rest cure' next week. And it has occured to me my June vacation I've been planning with my Dad -- far away to the middle of nowhere could be altered. It will be a hard trip (even if I fly, I'd have to change planes and then rent a car for a three hour drive.I'm picturing all the lines.) The main thing I want is to get away on vacation and spend quality time with Daddy. I'm thinking about seeing if we could find someplace closer to home.

Well, at least one good thing has come for me out of this. I preached without a manuscript, walked the platform, the ailse, and sat on a stool with just a few notes - felt like a regular TV preacher! The congregation loved it. Never, never would I have been brave enough to leave my safe manuscript and pulpit if this had not happened.
Beverly
Vote for or against this post. vote=0

Jill P on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019192)

Beverly, one thing that I read here which I hadn't thought much about before and is good to keep in mind is that you should replace your shoes often enough to keep the cushioning from becoming worn out. I've heard every 3 to 6 months, but I imagine how much you wear them makes the difference. Something to keep in mind. :) Jill P

Helene M on 4/23/00 at 16:48 (019270)

It's not just the cushioning which wears out. My sneakers lose their support after 3 months of continous wearing. I've tried replacing the insole with a more cushioned one but it doesn't work. If the shoe has broken down & the support is gone, it's best to buy a new pair of shoes.

Jill P on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019192)

Beverly, one thing that I read here which I hadn't thought much about before and is good to keep in mind is that you should replace your shoes often enough to keep the cushioning from becoming worn out. I've heard every 3 to 6 months, but I imagine how much you wear them makes the difference. Something to keep in mind. :) Jill P

Helene M on 4/23/00 at 16:48 (019270)

It's not just the cushioning which wears out. My sneakers lose their support after 3 months of continous wearing. I've tried replacing the insole with a more cushioned one but it doesn't work. If the shoe has broken down & the support is gone, it's best to buy a new pair of shoes.