Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lyme Disease

Posted by Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019165)

I've been researching Lyme Disease that past few days, and I ran across this reference to heel pain. Thought I'd share it with you guys just incase it is a missing puzzle piece for someone.

From 'The When to Suspect Lyme Disease Essay' located at http://cassia.org/essay.htm

'Lyme patients very often complain of heel pain. This may be due to an underlying plantar fasciitis, with or without a heel spur, or periostitis of the heel. Epicondylitis (tennis elbow) is another complication. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can also develop in untreated LD.'

Kim B.

Re: Lyme Disease

Helene M on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019171)

Thanks for posting the link on Lyme. I've known for a while there could be a connection between Lyme & PF but there hasn't been too much interest about it on this board (I think I posted on it a year ago without much response). When I had my first bout with PF 9 years ago, I tested positive for Lyme & was treated with an antibiotic for 8 weeks. If you are pursuing this diagnosis, please bear in mind that you can test negative, yet still have Lyme. Most drs, unless they are Lyme-literate, will base their diagnosis strictly on the blood test results, not the symptoms.

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019181)

Helene,

Did the anibiotic therapy get rid of the Lyme Disease? Has it recurred? Is your PF an idication that it is back? Or, is it possible that the Lyme Disease perminately damaged the Plantar tissues. Hmm. This is very interesting.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019182)

I wonder if it is possible to present heel pain as the only symptom of Lyme disease.

alan k

john h on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019184)

kim: just what i need- another disease to consider. i am about to the point that if it looks like a rabbit, hops like a rabbit., has ears like a rabbit then it must be a dam rabbit or better know as PF.

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019194)

I doubt it Alan, but I can't say for sure. Lyme Disease seems more akin to the symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia, MS, Arthritis, etc. where there is widespread body pain and a lot of system disfuntion. (bowels, heart, nervous system etc.) I just thought it interesting that this article specifically mentions PF as a side effect of untreated Lyme Disease. You see, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 6 years ago, and once they slap that diagnoses on you, they quit looking for anything else.

To my horror, I was walking through the living room yesterday when on The Today Show, a dermotologist was showing pictures of rashes and what they can mean. Sure as hell, there was a picture of the Lyme Disease tick bite rash, that looks almost identical to an unexplained rash I had for a while many years ago. I thought it was a spider bite at the time, and I never saw a doc about it. After several weeks, it finally went away on it's own. That means, if I do have Lyme Disease, I've had it for a very long time, which means a lot of damage has already been done and will make treatment less effective for me.

From what little I understand, Lyme Disease is an infection from a tick bite, (the tick is the size of poppy seed, btw), The infection runs rampant in the body, damaging organs and body systems. The tick bite usually presents a large circular rash, up to 8' in diameter. (Mine was about 4' wide, clear center, with a red ring around it.)However, according to this article, the rash is sometimes not detected and does not occur in every case.

Incase I didn't make it clear, that post was only a small portion of a larger essay entitled, 'The When to Suspect Lime Disease Essay'. I provided a link for those interested in reading the whole thing. (14 pages) The portion I copied was somewhere near the end.

So I guess I need new tests, workups and such. Which I dread like the plague. (Pun intended.) If this pans out, what this could mean to us is that Sever PF pain is a result of severe damage to the PF muscles. Which theoretically could happen in a number of different ways, not just from Lyme Disease. Mild damage = mild PF, and so on. Anybody following my line of thinking?

Regards, Kim B.

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019197)

Hi John,

You may have misunderstood the reason for my post.

I look at it this way, just as diabeties should be ruled out when unexplained foot pain is present, so should Lyme Disease.

You don't need to consider Lyme Disease as the culprit for your foot pain unless you have some of the other problems associated with it like widespread body pain, numbness in the extremities, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc.

Read the article, hopefully, it will put your mind at rest. I sure wish I could rule it out as a possibility for me. Unfortunately, today I can't.

Regards, Kim B.

Helene M on 4/23/00 at 14:54 (019264)

When I first got unremitting PF 9 years ago, Lyme was one of the first things suspected, along with RA, which was ruled out. However, the dr. hesitated to oficially diagnose me with lyme, in spite of the positive test. I was told there are a lot of false positives. That was 7 years ago. Perhaps the tests are better now. I was given the antibiotic as a result of the tests, though. I don't know if I ever had Lyme or not. You raised an interesting point about permanent PF damage, though. I don't know the answer to that or how to find out. I do know that this PF comes & goes. I've had many flare-ups over 9 years but most of the drs I've seen attribute it to a biomechanical problem. I don't think anyone knows for sure.

alan k on 4/23/00 at 17:47 (019271)

Are you sure you had that rash? Was it red on the outside with a less red part in the middle?

I live in Lyme country and always think about it, but I don't seem to have enough extra symptoms to consider it. I think if you had that rash and then 'FM' diagnosis you may indeed have Lyme.

At least it is something more treatable than the mysterious FM. At tleast you know what it is even if it has been there a while.

alan k

Kim B. on 4/24/00 at 09:20 (019307)

Hi Alan, Yes, that rash stands out SO much in my mind. It was sometime between the ages of 20-30, It was probably when I was living in Tennesse. (I've now been in Texas for 10 years.) I can't remember much about where and when but that odd red ringed rash stands out in my mind.

It was on the top my left thigh, about 4 inches above the knee. That's probably why I remember it so well. It was in such an obvious place. I probably shaved the tick off when I shaved my legs. Who knows... I wish I had seen a doctor about it, at least it would be documented. But I was young, on my own, and probably uninsured at the time. Never went to doc. Never needed to back then.

We'll see how this pans out. I am scared. I read some horror stories about Lyme, but we shouldn't believe everything we read on the net... right? I still hope for the best.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 4/24/00 at 13:01 (019313)

That is such a classic place on the body to get a lyme related rash.

There is wide variation in the presentation of symptoms and much disagreement about use and amount of anti-biotics, etc. Probably you have done a good job of fighting it off without them and I wouldn't assume that there have been any consequences beyond what you have now. On the other hand, you might direct therapy to Lyme and lose some of the symptoms you have now.

alan k

Helene M on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019171)

Thanks for posting the link on Lyme. I've known for a while there could be a connection between Lyme & PF but there hasn't been too much interest about it on this board (I think I posted on it a year ago without much response). When I had my first bout with PF 9 years ago, I tested positive for Lyme & was treated with an antibiotic for 8 weeks. If you are pursuing this diagnosis, please bear in mind that you can test negative, yet still have Lyme. Most drs, unless they are Lyme-literate, will base their diagnosis strictly on the blood test results, not the symptoms.

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019181)

Helene,

Did the anibiotic therapy get rid of the Lyme Disease? Has it recurred? Is your PF an idication that it is back? Or, is it possible that the Lyme Disease perminately damaged the Plantar tissues. Hmm. This is very interesting.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019182)

I wonder if it is possible to present heel pain as the only symptom of Lyme disease.

alan k

john h on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019184)

kim: just what i need- another disease to consider. i am about to the point that if it looks like a rabbit, hops like a rabbit., has ears like a rabbit then it must be a dam rabbit or better know as PF.

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019194)

I doubt it Alan, but I can't say for sure. Lyme Disease seems more akin to the symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia, MS, Arthritis, etc. where there is widespread body pain and a lot of system disfuntion. (bowels, heart, nervous system etc.) I just thought it interesting that this article specifically mentions PF as a side effect of untreated Lyme Disease. You see, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 6 years ago, and once they slap that diagnoses on you, they quit looking for anything else.

To my horror, I was walking through the living room yesterday when on The Today Show, a dermotologist was showing pictures of rashes and what they can mean. Sure as hell, there was a picture of the Lyme Disease tick bite rash, that looks almost identical to an unexplained rash I had for a while many years ago. I thought it was a spider bite at the time, and I never saw a doc about it. After several weeks, it finally went away on it's own. That means, if I do have Lyme Disease, I've had it for a very long time, which means a lot of damage has already been done and will make treatment less effective for me.

From what little I understand, Lyme Disease is an infection from a tick bite, (the tick is the size of poppy seed, btw), The infection runs rampant in the body, damaging organs and body systems. The tick bite usually presents a large circular rash, up to 8' in diameter. (Mine was about 4' wide, clear center, with a red ring around it.)However, according to this article, the rash is sometimes not detected and does not occur in every case.

Incase I didn't make it clear, that post was only a small portion of a larger essay entitled, 'The When to Suspect Lime Disease Essay'. I provided a link for those interested in reading the whole thing. (14 pages) The portion I copied was somewhere near the end.

So I guess I need new tests, workups and such. Which I dread like the plague. (Pun intended.) If this pans out, what this could mean to us is that Sever PF pain is a result of severe damage to the PF muscles. Which theoretically could happen in a number of different ways, not just from Lyme Disease. Mild damage = mild PF, and so on. Anybody following my line of thinking?

Regards, Kim B.

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019197)

Hi John,

You may have misunderstood the reason for my post.

I look at it this way, just as diabeties should be ruled out when unexplained foot pain is present, so should Lyme Disease.

You don't need to consider Lyme Disease as the culprit for your foot pain unless you have some of the other problems associated with it like widespread body pain, numbness in the extremities, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc.

Read the article, hopefully, it will put your mind at rest. I sure wish I could rule it out as a possibility for me. Unfortunately, today I can't.

Regards, Kim B.

Helene M on 4/23/00 at 14:54 (019264)

When I first got unremitting PF 9 years ago, Lyme was one of the first things suspected, along with RA, which was ruled out. However, the dr. hesitated to oficially diagnose me with lyme, in spite of the positive test. I was told there are a lot of false positives. That was 7 years ago. Perhaps the tests are better now. I was given the antibiotic as a result of the tests, though. I don't know if I ever had Lyme or not. You raised an interesting point about permanent PF damage, though. I don't know the answer to that or how to find out. I do know that this PF comes & goes. I've had many flare-ups over 9 years but most of the drs I've seen attribute it to a biomechanical problem. I don't think anyone knows for sure.

alan k on 4/23/00 at 17:47 (019271)

Are you sure you had that rash? Was it red on the outside with a less red part in the middle?

I live in Lyme country and always think about it, but I don't seem to have enough extra symptoms to consider it. I think if you had that rash and then 'FM' diagnosis you may indeed have Lyme.

At least it is something more treatable than the mysterious FM. At tleast you know what it is even if it has been there a while.

alan k

Kim B. on 4/24/00 at 09:20 (019307)

Hi Alan, Yes, that rash stands out SO much in my mind. It was sometime between the ages of 20-30, It was probably when I was living in Tennesse. (I've now been in Texas for 10 years.) I can't remember much about where and when but that odd red ringed rash stands out in my mind.

It was on the top my left thigh, about 4 inches above the knee. That's probably why I remember it so well. It was in such an obvious place. I probably shaved the tick off when I shaved my legs. Who knows... I wish I had seen a doctor about it, at least it would be documented. But I was young, on my own, and probably uninsured at the time. Never went to doc. Never needed to back then.

We'll see how this pans out. I am scared. I read some horror stories about Lyme, but we shouldn't believe everything we read on the net... right? I still hope for the best.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 4/24/00 at 13:01 (019313)

That is such a classic place on the body to get a lyme related rash.

There is wide variation in the presentation of symptoms and much disagreement about use and amount of anti-biotics, etc. Probably you have done a good job of fighting it off without them and I wouldn't assume that there have been any consequences beyond what you have now. On the other hand, you might direct therapy to Lyme and lose some of the symptoms you have now.

alan k