Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who wants a new message board design?

Posted by Scott R on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019185)

I found a jazzercise site that doesn't get as many visitors as this site, but it gets twice as many posts. Let me know if you like their design better:
http://www.physical.com/jchatter/jchatter.htm

Re: Who wants a new message board design?

Jill P on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019190)

Scott, these boards you keep up here are just great first of all. I am so glad I found them recently! Unless I haven't figured something out here on the current boards, I have to use the browser's back button and then click on the next post so it takes longer to get through them with my slow connection.

I went and visited the link you posted and the boards there look great. One thing I really liked about the Jazzercise boards is that you can easily move to the next message from the first one. For some reason you it doesn't give you the 'Next in thread' button once you start reading the responses so then you have to go back again just as you do here. (I tried reading through a few threads just to see how I liked it and how easy it was to follow the talk.)

Could you add something to the current boards or if we change to the new boards so that we could easily read through the whole thread without having to go back and then forward. If you could either list the other posts as links at the bottom of each page as they do on the first post in a thread at the jazzercise site or but a 'next post' button it would be nice. It still looked very easy to post which is nice.

Another thing which might or might not be feasible and you would have to see if people like would be to move the thread with the most recent posting to the top of the stack (top of the boards). That way if someone misses a few days and comes back to read through and wants to respond to an older thread, it would pop up to the top and we wouldn't miss the new post to the older thread which otherwise would be a few pages back and would likely not be seen. The Parenthood Web uses this within each topic (such as Parenting & Everything Else or any of the other topic if you want to look at their format) so that the threads most recently posted to are at the top of the stack.

Another neat thing about the threads at the PHW is that all the posts appear on the same page once you are into a thread. You just scroll down to read through all of the posts. It does take a while to load which is a drawback and the names of posters and the subject headings don't appear until you click on the thread heading and wait for it to load. I don't think that part of those boards would work well here as it's nice to see the names of those responding to the post on the first page here because sometimes I will see a familar name and read through that topic thread because of that.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful site up! Jill P

Jill P on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019191)

Another thing that would be nice and they have at the PHW boards is an Edit post button that allows the poster to go back and edit his or her own post (but no one elses). I just was reading my post above and saw a mistake but can't go back to correct it. :)

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019195)

I followed the link and like that style very well. It is user friendly. So is this. Keep user friendly as a key element and I'll be happy with whatever you decide on.

Kim B.

ChrisO on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019198)

Not me! Hope I'm not being too simplistic. I used your board at first to get as much info as I could - I spent hours, days - a week or two to compile what seemed like consistent information from these board contributors. Now, I use the board for enlightenment, continuing education and comraderie. The function I like the most is the 'posts since your last visit' - it let's me catch up in a flash. Let me add my 'thank you' to those already posted!

Nancy S. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019200)

I checked it out, Scott, and thought it was ok. But I would definitely miss 'view messages since your last visit' -- I count on it, use it every time. Also, that board's design doesn't keep much available for very long before posts and threads get relegated to the 'crypt.' I like being able to go back farther and look again at threads from a month or three ago that I remember and need to see again for some reason.
I've always liked your board's design, Scott. I've seen many others on the web and none compares to this. (One of them that I visited moved the threads according to most recent post, as Jill mentions, and I couldn't stand it {sorry, Jill!}. Everything moved all over the place from moment to moment and I couldn't keep track of anything.) Bottom line is, I like your design better than any other I've ever seen. It's straightforward, clear, easy to get around. --Nancy

Scott R on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019203)

Thanks to her suggestion, I've thought of a new design. It doesn't change this design. I'll add link next to the intial post of any particular new subject that leads to a file that has all the responses in one message. This also solves my long-time problem of being limited in number of messages: I can just delete old messages but keep the compiled list. This will help topics other than PF rank high on search engines.

I forgot about my poll feature. So here's a demonstration.

Who wants me to keep working on the message board design?

1 - Leave it alone, dammit
2 - Scott, don't you have anything better to do?
3 - I'm really tired of you screwing up the message board.
4 - Sure, go ahead and knock yourself out
5 - huh?

Please select your response to the above survey question:
Results
.option 1 = 3 votes . . . voters: wlbo-202ppp156.epix.net, uu.net, att.net,
.option 2 = 1 votes . . . voters: fix.net,
.option 3 = 1 votes . . . voters: mindspring.com,
.option 4 = 5 votes . . . voters: uu.net, home.com, psi.net, aol.com, webtv.net,

Bob G. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019205)

I like your design/format better, Scott. Way better than other sites I've visited. I also prefer the 640 x 480 setting.

I also would fear losing some visitors and posters over the change (some people don't change well).

This is the best message board; only my opinion and may not work for others :-)

Jill P on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019190)

Scott, these boards you keep up here are just great first of all. I am so glad I found them recently! Unless I haven't figured something out here on the current boards, I have to use the browser's back button and then click on the next post so it takes longer to get through them with my slow connection.

I went and visited the link you posted and the boards there look great. One thing I really liked about the Jazzercise boards is that you can easily move to the next message from the first one. For some reason you it doesn't give you the 'Next in thread' button once you start reading the responses so then you have to go back again just as you do here. (I tried reading through a few threads just to see how I liked it and how easy it was to follow the talk.)

Could you add something to the current boards or if we change to the new boards so that we could easily read through the whole thread without having to go back and then forward. If you could either list the other posts as links at the bottom of each page as they do on the first post in a thread at the jazzercise site or but a 'next post' button it would be nice. It still looked very easy to post which is nice.

Another thing which might or might not be feasible and you would have to see if people like would be to move the thread with the most recent posting to the top of the stack (top of the boards). That way if someone misses a few days and comes back to read through and wants to respond to an older thread, it would pop up to the top and we wouldn't miss the new post to the older thread which otherwise would be a few pages back and would likely not be seen. The Parenthood Web uses this within each topic (such as Parenting & Everything Else or any of the other topic if you want to look at their format) so that the threads most recently posted to are at the top of the stack.

Another neat thing about the threads at the PHW is that all the posts appear on the same page once you are into a thread. You just scroll down to read through all of the posts. It does take a while to load which is a drawback and the names of posters and the subject headings don't appear until you click on the thread heading and wait for it to load. I don't think that part of those boards would work well here as it's nice to see the names of those responding to the post on the first page here because sometimes I will see a familar name and read through that topic thread because of that.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful site up! Jill P

Jill P on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019191)

Another thing that would be nice and they have at the PHW boards is an Edit post button that allows the poster to go back and edit his or her own post (but no one elses). I just was reading my post above and saw a mistake but can't go back to correct it. :)

Kim B. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019195)

I followed the link and like that style very well. It is user friendly. So is this. Keep user friendly as a key element and I'll be happy with whatever you decide on.

Kim B.

ChrisO on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019198)

Not me! Hope I'm not being too simplistic. I used your board at first to get as much info as I could - I spent hours, days - a week or two to compile what seemed like consistent information from these board contributors. Now, I use the board for enlightenment, continuing education and comraderie. The function I like the most is the 'posts since your last visit' - it let's me catch up in a flash. Let me add my 'thank you' to those already posted!

Nancy S. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019200)

I checked it out, Scott, and thought it was ok. But I would definitely miss 'view messages since your last visit' -- I count on it, use it every time. Also, that board's design doesn't keep much available for very long before posts and threads get relegated to the 'crypt.' I like being able to go back farther and look again at threads from a month or three ago that I remember and need to see again for some reason.
I've always liked your board's design, Scott. I've seen many others on the web and none compares to this. (One of them that I visited moved the threads according to most recent post, as Jill mentions, and I couldn't stand it {sorry, Jill!}. Everything moved all over the place from moment to moment and I couldn't keep track of anything.) Bottom line is, I like your design better than any other I've ever seen. It's straightforward, clear, easy to get around. --Nancy

Scott R on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019203)

Thanks to her suggestion, I've thought of a new design. It doesn't change this design. I'll add link next to the intial post of any particular new subject that leads to a file that has all the responses in one message. This also solves my long-time problem of being limited in number of messages: I can just delete old messages but keep the compiled list. This will help topics other than PF rank high on search engines.

I forgot about my poll feature. So here's a demonstration.

Who wants me to keep working on the message board design?

1 - Leave it alone, dammit
2 - Scott, don't you have anything better to do?
3 - I'm really tired of you screwing up the message board.
4 - Sure, go ahead and knock yourself out
5 - huh?

Please select your response to the above survey question:
Results
.option 1 = 3 votes . . . voters: wlbo-202ppp156.epix.net, uu.net, att.net,
.option 2 = 1 votes . . . voters: fix.net,
.option 3 = 1 votes . . . voters: mindspring.com,
.option 4 = 5 votes . . . voters: uu.net, home.com, psi.net, aol.com, webtv.net,

Bob G. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019205)

I like your design/format better, Scott. Way better than other sites I've visited. I also prefer the 640 x 480 setting.

I also would fear losing some visitors and posters over the change (some people don't change well).

This is the best message board; only my opinion and may not work for others :-)