Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3rd ART

Posted by ChrisO on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019199)

Well, don't quote me (been there, done that!) but I think there's been, at least some, progress via the ART. It really hurts in the process of treatment but this time I was able to take a little more before pulling my foot out of the Chiro's grasp! As we all do, I've changed a couple of other things too. My foot is beginning to be slightly less stiff in the AM's. I wore a pair of Nikes with my softer orthotics for several hours the other day and was crippled - you know the feeling. So I spent the last two days in Birks with not nearly as much discomfort. (yes Nancy, I owe you....) Last, and maybe most important, I stopped letting the PF rule my attitude - which I think in turn magnified the PF pain. I stopped taking Ibuprofen because it just makes me sleepy and cranky which in turn torked my attitude and it didn't really relieve the soreness. Sort of a catch-22. What I've been trying to do for two days is consciously relax my feet when the nasty arch pain starts. Can you believe this - I'm talking to them and telling them that they don't really HAVE to hurt! (yeah yeah I know - I need to get a life.....) Then I just sit down with a gentle massage and a few minutes of ice. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm working at not letting the PF rule my whole attitude. Maybe if I can get me to relax when the PF gets me uptight, I'll in turn add to the healing. I don't know, but, as you all know, it's worth a shot! I've been away from the Board for a couple of days and I can't believe the amount of new information that's been contributed in such a short time. Thanks!

Re: 3rd ART

Nancy S. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019202)

Hi Chris, that's great that the ART seems to be helping, and also the Birks. Credit Robin with the Birks -- she had posted so much about them that I went and bought a pair the very first day after I found this site, and my feet have been thanking me ever since (you talk to your feet, mine talk to me!). Actually I'm trying to send mine relaxation messages too -- it never occurred to me until I tried it how much tension had built up in them over the past year of hobbling, walking on my toes, overcompensating with my so-called good foot, and in general being sad and mad at the pain. My Buddhist-oriented husband has been cautioning me against 'the pain of pain' -- multiplying the physical pain by allowing the accompanying psychological pain to go unattended to and fester. Even as I'm getting better, I find I have to work on the attitude anew every couple of weeks. It's easy to slip back into thinking 'I hate this,' 'when is this ever going to go away,' 'what if I can't ever get totally better,' etc. -- all tension producers if I just settle in there and make a nest. So Chris, I understand what you're saying, and I believe in what you're doing, even we are nuts (but I don't think we are).
Then there are those glimpses of never again taking what we thought of as basics for granted, which is one of the biggest lessons I see coming out of this. There's an old Chinese saying:

When God wants to make a poor man happy,
he lets him lose his donkey and then find it again.

--Nancy

Re: 3rd ART

Nancy S. on 4/22/00 at 00:00 (019202)

Hi Chris, that's great that the ART seems to be helping, and also the Birks. Credit Robin with the Birks -- she had posted so much about them that I went and bought a pair the very first day after I found this site, and my feet have been thanking me ever since (you talk to your feet, mine talk to me!). Actually I'm trying to send mine relaxation messages too -- it never occurred to me until I tried it how much tension had built up in them over the past year of hobbling, walking on my toes, overcompensating with my so-called good foot, and in general being sad and mad at the pain. My Buddhist-oriented husband has been cautioning me against 'the pain of pain' -- multiplying the physical pain by allowing the accompanying psychological pain to go unattended to and fester. Even as I'm getting better, I find I have to work on the attitude anew every couple of weeks. It's easy to slip back into thinking 'I hate this,' 'when is this ever going to go away,' 'what if I can't ever get totally better,' etc. -- all tension producers if I just settle in there and make a nest. So Chris, I understand what you're saying, and I believe in what you're doing, even we are nuts (but I don't think we are).
Then there are those glimpses of never again taking what we thought of as basics for granted, which is one of the biggest lessons I see coming out of this. There's an old Chinese saying:

When God wants to make a poor man happy,
he lets him lose his donkey and then find it again.

--Nancy