Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone been harmed by switching from a carpet to hard floor?

Posted by Scott R on 4/23/00 at 15:52 (019269)

Someone emailed me recently decribing how it started when they took out the carpet in his house.

Re: Has anyone been harmed by switching from a carpet to hard floor?

Pat M on 4/23/00 at 18:45 (019274)

For ten years I taught 5th grade students in a carpeted classroom. This school year on August 7, I went to work and switched grade levels and classrooms. No carpet. In September I began to feel the stone bruise feeling in my left heel. I didn't know what it was. Just thought I had stepped on something. It has not gone away, and in the last month and a half has gotten much worse with the morning pain and all. I don't know if the flooring had anything to do with it, but it does seem coincidental.
Pat M

Scott R on 4/23/00 at 18:53 (019278)

It sounds like you need some padding of some sort in your most common areas of standing. They are commonly used in industrial settin where there's a lot of concrete floor and assembly line workers.

Pat M on 4/23/00 at 18:45 (019274)

For ten years I taught 5th grade students in a carpeted classroom. This school year on August 7, I went to work and switched grade levels and classrooms. No carpet. In September I began to feel the stone bruise feeling in my left heel. I didn't know what it was. Just thought I had stepped on something. It has not gone away, and in the last month and a half has gotten much worse with the morning pain and all. I don't know if the flooring had anything to do with it, but it does seem coincidental.
Pat M

Scott R on 4/23/00 at 18:53 (019278)

It sounds like you need some padding of some sort in your most common areas of standing. They are commonly used in industrial settin where there's a lot of concrete floor and assembly line workers.