Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I take a 2nd Cortizone Shot?

Posted by Shawn C. on 4/24/00 at 02:39 (019295)

My 1st shot eliminated my heel pain but 6 months later it came back with a much more sever pain. My fear is that the cortizone injection has side effects and also the pain may come back again only in a few months and my problem gets even worse. Is that true?

Does the cortizone actually heal the imflamation or does it just mask the pain and when the drug diminishes the pain will later creep back? Have you had similar experience or you had the shot for over 1 year and have not experienced subsequent pain.

Please only answer if you have either (a) taken the shot and got good results at first or permanantly or (b) are a medical professional.

Re: Should I take a 2nd Cortizone Shot?

Bob G. on 4/24/00 at 04:11 (019297)

yes, i think you should should do a dozen cartwheels!

Welcome to the Board, Shawn.

Jan R. on 4/24/00 at 06:43 (019298)

NO! My first cort. shot worked for a few months too and the pain came back with a vengence!!! I had 3 more shots in my heel and they did NOT work!!!! There are many suggestions on this web page you should try. What helped me with my heel pain was physical therapy and orthotics. Good luck!

Re: Should I take a 2nd Cortizone Shot? - long and graphic

Lori E. on 4/24/00 at 17:23 (019322)

Multiple coritsone shots can be very damaging. Here is a testament to why too many cortisone shots are harmful. I got this info from the book Pain Free by Peter Egoscue, he wrote: Corisone can be potent as a pain-killer, but repeated doses have serious side effects. This man, Gil, apparently had shopped around for doctors who would agree to give him the shots without asking too many questions....Eventually, the excess cortizsone caught up to him. When I first saw Gil,...he admitted he had had many cortisone shots and that he was turning to me because no doctor would agree to administer another one.
'Why not?' I asked.
'Feel my elbow.'
I took his right elbow and squeezed it. As I did so, my thumb slid up and into the joint, pushing the skin before it as thought I were slipping into a glove....Gil's elbow joint mechinism, thanks to the cortisone, had collapsed.
This is the reason why everyone should be careful of overusing cortisone. Hope this info was helpful, sorry it was so graphic. It does paint a clear picture as to why you should be wary of multiple cortisone shots.

dfeet on 4/24/00 at 17:44 (019325)

Hi shawn. I've had multiple(4) corticosteroid injections-The type of drug used was a combination of dexamethasone,a corticosteroid similar to cortisone, and lidocaine,local anesthetic. These were not effectivefor me. I got perhaps 5 days relief. I do not recommend the injections due to the risk of damage to the surrounding soft tissue. The achilles tendon is very vulnerable to the corticosteriods and can weaken even with minute administration of the drugs. The corticosteroid is, however, a very good anti-inflamatory, and this may give the healing process a head start. For some the corticosteroid is a great adjunct to therapy. i have a few friends who have had a couple injections and were completely cured. I personally would not have another, for I fear the weakening of my other tissues. I guess you must weigh the risks and benefits for youself-Good Luck-dfeet

Stephanie S. on 4/25/00 at 07:48 (019345)

Ummmm....I took 1 cort. shot in 1 heel. (It was horribly painful).
It was a temp. pain reliever for me. My doc. said there was another
option verses the cort.shot in heel....a steriod shot in the hip.
Sounds crazy,huh? Well, it wasn't as painful and it truely has helped
with the pain. It's not near as bad now. I haven't read of anyone here
on the board who took a steriod shot in the hip...I must be the only
one.Keep in mind...there is alot of useful tips and advice throughout
this website. It's wonderful. I also believe in the nightspints. Good
luck to you...and welcome aboard. Steph

john h on 4/26/00 at 10:01 (019407)

i gather that among other things a cortisone shot is a diagnostic tool. if you get relief you can probably rule out various conditions. i have never had a shot but was told by dr. zuckerman that i probably should have one to see if that provided any releif. if i did not receive any relief then i might not be a candidate for the orbasone.

john h on 4/26/00 at 10:08 (019408)

i am somewhat confused about cortisone shots. many are posting about receiving shots in the 'heel'. the doctors i talked to wanted to inject the tender area where the fascia attaches to the heel. injection through the side of the foot. when you say injection into the heel where exactly are they injecting. i had a lady who sent me an email recently who estimated she had 25 shots!!!!!!! i also met a man who had 12 myleograms ouch ouch!

Re: Shot in the hip...

Shawn C. on 4/28/00 at 02:30 (019541)

Thanks Stephanie for the input. Regarding the shot in the hip...hmm...my guess is you must be a beautiful girl so the doctor offer the alternative:)

Bob G. on 4/24/00 at 04:11 (019297)

yes, i think you should should do a dozen cartwheels!

Welcome to the Board, Shawn.

Jan R. on 4/24/00 at 06:43 (019298)

NO! My first cort. shot worked for a few months too and the pain came back with a vengence!!! I had 3 more shots in my heel and they did NOT work!!!! There are many suggestions on this web page you should try. What helped me with my heel pain was physical therapy and orthotics. Good luck!

Re: Should I take a 2nd Cortizone Shot? - long and graphic

Lori E. on 4/24/00 at 17:23 (019322)

Multiple coritsone shots can be very damaging. Here is a testament to why too many cortisone shots are harmful. I got this info from the book Pain Free by Peter Egoscue, he wrote: Corisone can be potent as a pain-killer, but repeated doses have serious side effects. This man, Gil, apparently had shopped around for doctors who would agree to give him the shots without asking too many questions....Eventually, the excess cortizsone caught up to him. When I first saw Gil,...he admitted he had had many cortisone shots and that he was turning to me because no doctor would agree to administer another one.
'Why not?' I asked.
'Feel my elbow.'
I took his right elbow and squeezed it. As I did so, my thumb slid up and into the joint, pushing the skin before it as thought I were slipping into a glove....Gil's elbow joint mechinism, thanks to the cortisone, had collapsed.
This is the reason why everyone should be careful of overusing cortisone. Hope this info was helpful, sorry it was so graphic. It does paint a clear picture as to why you should be wary of multiple cortisone shots.

dfeet on 4/24/00 at 17:44 (019325)

Hi shawn. I've had multiple(4) corticosteroid injections-The type of drug used was a combination of dexamethasone,a corticosteroid similar to cortisone, and lidocaine,local anesthetic. These were not effectivefor me. I got perhaps 5 days relief. I do not recommend the injections due to the risk of damage to the surrounding soft tissue. The achilles tendon is very vulnerable to the corticosteriods and can weaken even with minute administration of the drugs. The corticosteroid is, however, a very good anti-inflamatory, and this may give the healing process a head start. For some the corticosteroid is a great adjunct to therapy. i have a few friends who have had a couple injections and were completely cured. I personally would not have another, for I fear the weakening of my other tissues. I guess you must weigh the risks and benefits for youself-Good Luck-dfeet

Stephanie S. on 4/25/00 at 07:48 (019345)

Ummmm....I took 1 cort. shot in 1 heel. (It was horribly painful).
It was a temp. pain reliever for me. My doc. said there was another
option verses the cort.shot in heel....a steriod shot in the hip.
Sounds crazy,huh? Well, it wasn't as painful and it truely has helped
with the pain. It's not near as bad now. I haven't read of anyone here
on the board who took a steriod shot in the hip...I must be the only
one.Keep in mind...there is alot of useful tips and advice throughout
this website. It's wonderful. I also believe in the nightspints. Good
luck to you...and welcome aboard. Steph

john h on 4/26/00 at 10:01 (019407)

i gather that among other things a cortisone shot is a diagnostic tool. if you get relief you can probably rule out various conditions. i have never had a shot but was told by dr. zuckerman that i probably should have one to see if that provided any releif. if i did not receive any relief then i might not be a candidate for the orbasone.

john h on 4/26/00 at 10:08 (019408)

i am somewhat confused about cortisone shots. many are posting about receiving shots in the 'heel'. the doctors i talked to wanted to inject the tender area where the fascia attaches to the heel. injection through the side of the foot. when you say injection into the heel where exactly are they injecting. i had a lady who sent me an email recently who estimated she had 25 shots!!!!!!! i also met a man who had 12 myleograms ouch ouch!

Re: Shot in the hip...

Shawn C. on 4/28/00 at 02:30 (019541)

Thanks Stephanie for the input. Regarding the shot in the hip...hmm...my guess is you must be a beautiful girl so the doctor offer the alternative:)