Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

overdoing foot strengthening exercises

Posted by alan k on 4/24/00 at 07:18 (019301)

Imformational favor:

I was wondering if people who over-eagerly started a foot strengthening regimen with too much gusto could describe to me the adverse effects they experienced. Or those who did it slowly but also experienced adverse effects. I remember some people posted about this and I would like to know specifically:

1. What the pain felt like.

2. Whether it was new or added to the old pain, in the same place on the foot or in other places, etc.

3. Whether the extra pain showed up immediately or how long after the over-doing it session.

4. if it was like a set-back from walking too much or if it felt different.

5. How the situation resolved (got better with time; gave up on exercises, etc.)

Thanks so much for your info, which I and others can think about when doing exercise. I am back on my strength regimen after a 3 hour walking setback (which was also after a few weeks of slacking).

alan k

Re: overdoing foot strengthening exercises

VickiJ on 4/24/00 at 08:11 (019303)

I guess you might be referring to one of my posts, and my main problem was with my elbow and shoulder! I have tendonitis in my elbow and an old car injury in my shoulder...so when I was too aggressive with the PFT exercises I irritated those injuries.

Nancy S. on 4/24/00 at 08:14 (019304)

Alan,
After my lengthy rest, I began a regimen that involved too much too soon -- probably in strengthening but also definitely in stretching. The regimen involved ankle rolls (which I had never done before), more and longer calf stretching (both weight-bearing and non), and taking 10-minute walks on the road during which I put full weight on my heel for the first time in a long while. (Also continued swimming 2 or 3 times a week.)
After about 3 days of this, I felt the effects of overdoing it. It was not only the usual pain -- there was more general pain all over the bottom of the heel, plus a sort of painful stiffness at the back of my heel and around the sides under the ankles.
So I cut out the road walks and only do shorter, intermittent versions (in the house, and while working in the barn). I cut out the ankle rolls. I do less calf stretching, and don't hold it, as you suggested. I added some light massage in the morning. I've gotten lazy and am not swimming enough, which I have to change because I am certain swimming helps me. The Futuro ankle support has helped (however, I need a bigger size, I've decided). I think bromelain is helping (started March 30).
I don't feel I had a major setback; just that I need to build up strength and flexibility very slowly and very carefully, and I decided not to rush it in any way.
Hope this helps. --Nancy

john h on 4/24/00 at 08:40 (019305)

alan: when i first received my pft i was very aggressive in my exercises. my normal pain which is very localized where the fascia attaches to the heel, became worse. nothing different just worse. as i have said many times i have my feet get worse for no apparent reason on occasion. at other times i think i know the reason my feet get worse such as walking to much or being on my feet to much.

Mike W on 4/24/00 at 15:38 (019320)

Hello John,

Could you please email me at (email removed) as I have a few questions.

Thanks

Mike W

dfeet on 4/24/00 at 17:58 (019326)

Hi, Alan! I too was on a strengthening regimen-the Theraband. Inversion/eversion, dorsoflexion/plantar flexion. I had to give it up for a while.
1. The pain was an acute burning in the medial malleolus region, and then a general gnawing pain in my arches.
2. More acute than old pain. Lingered longer
3.Immediately and afterward. The nights I did the Theraband I would have more burning.
4. It was different. More acute.
5. Gave up. has not resoved yet. I just the other day tried it, but same results.

Alan, This developed about3 mos. into doing the exercises consistently. I cannot seem to figure out why. Activities hadn't changed much, so I cannot attribute the problem to that.I'll have to access the cobwebs in my mind. Things sometimes run into each other, but I'm now trying to be very analytical. Thanks for the great questions. They allow me to focus on a more systematic approach to my feet 'thing'-dfeet

Re: tts and excercise

gil on 4/28/00 at 00:12 (019540)

Alan,
what kind of excercises did you do to work around you tarsal tunnel syndrom? I am currently suffering from a lot of tingling and numbing from the bottom of my feet all the way up to the knees. this happens mostly when I sit down for more than 10 minutes or if I stand for more than 15 minutes.

I have been active, I go to the gym 4 times a week usually will do some overall body strengthning and no impact excercise. just trying to keep active.

I think you have a good point about increased the blood flow in the tts region during excercise. I would like to try the exercises that helped you

gil

VickiJ on 4/24/00 at 08:11 (019303)

I guess you might be referring to one of my posts, and my main problem was with my elbow and shoulder! I have tendonitis in my elbow and an old car injury in my shoulder...so when I was too aggressive with the PFT exercises I irritated those injuries.

Nancy S. on 4/24/00 at 08:14 (019304)

Alan,
After my lengthy rest, I began a regimen that involved too much too soon -- probably in strengthening but also definitely in stretching. The regimen involved ankle rolls (which I had never done before), more and longer calf stretching (both weight-bearing and non), and taking 10-minute walks on the road during which I put full weight on my heel for the first time in a long while. (Also continued swimming 2 or 3 times a week.)
After about 3 days of this, I felt the effects of overdoing it. It was not only the usual pain -- there was more general pain all over the bottom of the heel, plus a sort of painful stiffness at the back of my heel and around the sides under the ankles.
So I cut out the road walks and only do shorter, intermittent versions (in the house, and while working in the barn). I cut out the ankle rolls. I do less calf stretching, and don't hold it, as you suggested. I added some light massage in the morning. I've gotten lazy and am not swimming enough, which I have to change because I am certain swimming helps me. The Futuro ankle support has helped (however, I need a bigger size, I've decided). I think bromelain is helping (started March 30).
I don't feel I had a major setback; just that I need to build up strength and flexibility very slowly and very carefully, and I decided not to rush it in any way.
Hope this helps. --Nancy

john h on 4/24/00 at 08:40 (019305)

alan: when i first received my pft i was very aggressive in my exercises. my normal pain which is very localized where the fascia attaches to the heel, became worse. nothing different just worse. as i have said many times i have my feet get worse for no apparent reason on occasion. at other times i think i know the reason my feet get worse such as walking to much or being on my feet to much.

Mike W on 4/24/00 at 15:38 (019320)

Hello John,

Could you please email me at (email removed) as I have a few questions.

Thanks

Mike W

dfeet on 4/24/00 at 17:58 (019326)

Hi, Alan! I too was on a strengthening regimen-the Theraband. Inversion/eversion, dorsoflexion/plantar flexion. I had to give it up for a while.
1. The pain was an acute burning in the medial malleolus region, and then a general gnawing pain in my arches.
2. More acute than old pain. Lingered longer
3.Immediately and afterward. The nights I did the Theraband I would have more burning.
4. It was different. More acute.
5. Gave up. has not resoved yet. I just the other day tried it, but same results.

Alan, This developed about3 mos. into doing the exercises consistently. I cannot seem to figure out why. Activities hadn't changed much, so I cannot attribute the problem to that.I'll have to access the cobwebs in my mind. Things sometimes run into each other, but I'm now trying to be very analytical. Thanks for the great questions. They allow me to focus on a more systematic approach to my feet 'thing'-dfeet

Re: tts and excercise

gil on 4/28/00 at 00:12 (019540)

Alan,
what kind of excercises did you do to work around you tarsal tunnel syndrom? I am currently suffering from a lot of tingling and numbing from the bottom of my feet all the way up to the knees. this happens mostly when I sit down for more than 10 minutes or if I stand for more than 15 minutes.

I have been active, I go to the gym 4 times a week usually will do some overall body strengthning and no impact excercise. just trying to keep active.

I think you have a good point about increased the blood flow in the tts region during excercise. I would like to try the exercises that helped you

gil