Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics

Posted by VickiJ on 4/25/00 at 17:30 (019368)

My orthotics are rigid and I have high arches...so this could make a difference, don't know...I had to leave one doctor who never got it right...he cast me twice and readjusted countless times both sets...and I paid him only half of what he would normally charge (I had paid the first half when I got my feet cast and refused to pay the balance until they fit...which they never did).

The second doctor got them nearly perfect the first time! A couple of readjustments and they were fine.

Hope this helps....and I'll be very interested to hear about yours when you get them. I often wish mine were softer, even if I did have to get new ones every year.

Good Luck!

Re: Orthotics

Raleigh on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010347)

Hi Lynn! Hope those Nike Airs are helping! The orthotics I have are custom-made by my orthopedic doctor. $$$. They take a plaster mold of your feet and design a wedge pad system that helps to support your foot and to keep you from rolling (pronating, supinating) through your stride so that you don't irritate the fascia any further. I didn't find that the ones from the store helped. Ask your doctor. If you have an hmo like mine, they will pay for the doctor's visits but not the orthotics. Worth the $$, though.
Scott provides directions on how to tape feet on his website. You have to use athletic tape for support though. Good luck!

Re: Orthotics

Raleigh on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010347)

Hi Lynn! Hope those Nike Airs are helping! The orthotics I have are custom-made by my orthopedic doctor. $$$. They take a plaster mold of your feet and design a wedge pad system that helps to support your foot and to keep you from rolling (pronating, supinating) through your stride so that you don't irritate the fascia any further. I didn't find that the ones from the store helped. Ask your doctor. If you have an hmo like mine, they will pay for the doctor's visits but not the orthotics. Worth the $$, though.
Scott provides directions on how to tape feet on his website. You have to use athletic tape for support though. Good luck!