Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RSD

Posted by Jo N on 4/26/00 at 09:27 (019405)

Wendyn reply, Thanks so much for the info on RSD. NOW, I know what is going on with the PF. You must be spending a fortune and , so far, no results...BUMMMMMER! I've had Pf for about 16 months, the past 3 being HORRIBLE. Went to POD and had 2 cort. shots at different times, then was in so much pain, I allowed the DR. to numb my heel and then, use wide gauged needle to make 50, yes, 50 probes into my heel to 'create scar tissue'! I was on crutches for a week and the progress has been very slow. Bought Naot shoes which helped, do Yoga, swim. bike, but NO walking very much. Now the pain is like yours. It is climbing from my heel up through my calf with 'charlie horses' and then to the thigh and hip socket. Oh, God, this is scary! Massage by therapist is next and acupuncture. Please keep me posted. E-mail me if you can. We both need answers. Later Jo N

Re: RSD

Dan W on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017004)

Dear Wendy, as you must know by now doctors are so unwilling to make a diagnosis about anything. I still have it, and it has been nearly two years now. I will never forget the face of my podiatrist, when he first made his diagnosis of rsd. He turned an ashen gray, as though he had just seen a ghost. He felt the cold temperature change in my foot that was a tomato red color.I then spent all of the last year fighting the blowtorch burning that always accompanied my anguished attempts at walking. After walking 1/4 of a mile I would have to immerse the foot in ice cube water to stop the burning pain. I am better these days, and know exactly when to curtail activity to avoid the intensity of the attacks, which are fewer,as the years go by. The tight rubber band feeling around my toes has decreased but might not ever go away completely, I received interdigital neuromas as a result of my original injury due to the cortisone injections into my heel for PF, which the doctor feels was the cause of my RSD. Please dont be too afraid, getting total bedrest for several years helps the RSD. I also swim everyday to keep the blood flow circulating. There are certain drugs that bring on the color change that would illustrate your condition to your doctors. Keep getting better Wendy. Your friend Dan.

Re: RSD

Dan W on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017004)

Dear Wendy, as you must know by now doctors are so unwilling to make a diagnosis about anything. I still have it, and it has been nearly two years now. I will never forget the face of my podiatrist, when he first made his diagnosis of rsd. He turned an ashen gray, as though he had just seen a ghost. He felt the cold temperature change in my foot that was a tomato red color.I then spent all of the last year fighting the blowtorch burning that always accompanied my anguished attempts at walking. After walking 1/4 of a mile I would have to immerse the foot in ice cube water to stop the burning pain. I am better these days, and know exactly when to curtail activity to avoid the intensity of the attacks, which are fewer,as the years go by. The tight rubber band feeling around my toes has decreased but might not ever go away completely, I received interdigital neuromas as a result of my original injury due to the cortisone injections into my heel for PF, which the doctor feels was the cause of my RSD. Please dont be too afraid, getting total bedrest for several years helps the RSD. I also swim everyday to keep the blood flow circulating. There are certain drugs that bring on the color change that would illustrate your condition to your doctors. Keep getting better Wendy. Your friend Dan.