Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF

Posted by ChrisO on 4/26/00 at 13:08 (019421)

Lori - heel spurs usually are caused by the Plantar Fascia (AKA the arch tendons) 'pulling' on the heel bone at it's attached site. Sometimes the heel spur hurts, some times it doesn't. Lots of people have them and don't even know it. But if the Plantar becomes inflammed i.e., Plantar Fasciitis, then both the heel spur and the 'arch' (Plantar) can start to hurt. The fairly common reasons for the inflammation are; overpronation (Flat feet), supanation (High arches), and/or constant use on hard surfaces - like running on concrete or standing on a hard surface all day. While those are pretty common, some people develop the inflammation from other causes. Anyway, as everyone here will tell you, the MOST IMPORTANT thing for you to do in these early stages is stay off your feet as much as possible. It's just like if you have a pulled quad or tennis elbow - they too are inflammations and one avoids using them until the inflammation clears up. So if you normally exercise on your feet, like running or walking, you should stop that for awhile. That's really critical. Never go barefoot (too much stress on the arch), see whichever Doc you're most comfy with and follow a strong course of treatment immediately so you don't end up in the chronic stage. I know where of I speak!
Good Luck

Re: PF

WANDA on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007269)

Its so good to hear that someone has good luck with the surgey. The way I'm looking thats in the future for me ,again good luck and still be careful with your feet.My husband always says(your feet is your money and your money is your feet.)

Bea on 8/17/99 at 00:39 (009818)

It seems to me thqat your doctor has been concentrating on pain relief and not cure. A second opinion might be a good idea.

Lee on 8/17/99 at 22:32 (009836)

I know exactly what you are feeling. The pain impacts your life in a way that most people do not understand. Most of my pain is gone but some still lingers and I still have some bad days. I just started physical therapy to try to get rid of all of the pain. I've done anti-inflam. pills & cream, 3- injections(never again), orthodics, stretching, icing, taping, heat, herbal remedies, Atkins diet, Anti-yeast pills, Mind over matter-Dr. Sarno and now physical therapy. The best of all of these for me has been orthodics, piroxicam cream and Atkins diet. The pain is tolerable now, but I want to be cured as I'm sure all of us do. When the pain was intolerable I was devastated by it every day and with every failed remedy it seems less hopeful. Keep trying different things on this board. You will find what works for you. Something will make your foot better, you just haven't found it yet. Keep at it, I went thru a phase in the beginning thinking that if I ignored it it would just go away. Dr's will tell you 'try this, and come back in two weeks'. Well that two weeks is like two years when your foot is killing you. They just don't understand how painful and depressing it is. Good luck to you.

Debra on 8/18/99 at 11:47 (009849)

I've just received my first Cortisone injection this morning. I'm waiting to see how it works. I've experienced foot pain in my left foot only. I know you are frustrated. This is my third visit to the podatrist. So far I think he has been pretty conservative in his approach based on what I have read here at this site. I asked him are we going to 'cure' this? I have to go back to teaching in a few weeks and will be on my feet almost all day. He is optimisitic. I think each case is different and has to be approached as such. Keep working on what feels good and eliminate the rest. Good Luck!

Cathy in NY on 8/18/99 at 20:49 (009870)

I first visited the DR. for PF pain mainly in my right foor. The left was only slightly tender. Well, I received only 1 cortisone injection and was sent for physical therapy, which I have not heard much about at this message board yet. It worked wonders on that foot. Unfortunately, now my left is even more problemsome, and the 2 cortisone shots I have received have done little to help. I am now looking for a new Dr. for another reason, and am hoping to go for physical therapy on my left foot, and that it will also be successful. This consisted of 6 half hour visits in which the therapist did ultrasound, some type of contractng of the muscle by hooking up an electronic stimulus to my foot, exercises, and muscle massage. Hope your case is improving, but if the cortisone is only a coverup, this may help you, too.

vicki on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010239)

Pat,
It was explained to me by a physical therapists that if you walk on the outer edge of your foot with the ankle turned inward in order to lessen the pain and pressure on the heel and/or arch; then the nerve running down the back of the leg and on the inside of the foot below the ankle may become compressed. This is why many people with PF wind up with tarsus tunnel sundrome-which is the same as carpal tunnel except in the ankles. Is this what you mean?

WANDA on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007269)

Its so good to hear that someone has good luck with the surgey. The way I'm looking thats in the future for me ,again good luck and still be careful with your feet.My husband always says(your feet is your money and your money is your feet.)

Bea on 8/17/99 at 00:39 (009818)

It seems to me thqat your doctor has been concentrating on pain relief and not cure. A second opinion might be a good idea.

Lee on 8/17/99 at 22:32 (009836)

I know exactly what you are feeling. The pain impacts your life in a way that most people do not understand. Most of my pain is gone but some still lingers and I still have some bad days. I just started physical therapy to try to get rid of all of the pain. I've done anti-inflam. pills & cream, 3- injections(never again), orthodics, stretching, icing, taping, heat, herbal remedies, Atkins diet, Anti-yeast pills, Mind over matter-Dr. Sarno and now physical therapy. The best of all of these for me has been orthodics, piroxicam cream and Atkins diet. The pain is tolerable now, but I want to be cured as I'm sure all of us do. When the pain was intolerable I was devastated by it every day and with every failed remedy it seems less hopeful. Keep trying different things on this board. You will find what works for you. Something will make your foot better, you just haven't found it yet. Keep at it, I went thru a phase in the beginning thinking that if I ignored it it would just go away. Dr's will tell you 'try this, and come back in two weeks'. Well that two weeks is like two years when your foot is killing you. They just don't understand how painful and depressing it is. Good luck to you.

Debra on 8/18/99 at 11:47 (009849)

I've just received my first Cortisone injection this morning. I'm waiting to see how it works. I've experienced foot pain in my left foot only. I know you are frustrated. This is my third visit to the podatrist. So far I think he has been pretty conservative in his approach based on what I have read here at this site. I asked him are we going to 'cure' this? I have to go back to teaching in a few weeks and will be on my feet almost all day. He is optimisitic. I think each case is different and has to be approached as such. Keep working on what feels good and eliminate the rest. Good Luck!

Cathy in NY on 8/18/99 at 20:49 (009870)

I first visited the DR. for PF pain mainly in my right foor. The left was only slightly tender. Well, I received only 1 cortisone injection and was sent for physical therapy, which I have not heard much about at this message board yet. It worked wonders on that foot. Unfortunately, now my left is even more problemsome, and the 2 cortisone shots I have received have done little to help. I am now looking for a new Dr. for another reason, and am hoping to go for physical therapy on my left foot, and that it will also be successful. This consisted of 6 half hour visits in which the therapist did ultrasound, some type of contractng of the muscle by hooking up an electronic stimulus to my foot, exercises, and muscle massage. Hope your case is improving, but if the cortisone is only a coverup, this may help you, too.

vicki on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010239)

Pat,
It was explained to me by a physical therapists that if you walk on the outer edge of your foot with the ankle turned inward in order to lessen the pain and pressure on the heel and/or arch; then the nerve running down the back of the leg and on the inside of the foot below the ankle may become compressed. This is why many people with PF wind up with tarsus tunnel sundrome-which is the same as carpal tunnel except in the ankles. Is this what you mean?

Sue S on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018275)

Congratulaltions for your dedication and results. How long have you been doing your program? Thanks

ChrisO on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018296)

Hi Sue - I've been on my little program for only 4 weeks or so - which is one reason I'm so shocked about my success. I started being pain-free for a good half a day within two weeks. Then of course I really gave myself a hard time for letting my PF be in charge of me for two years! I could have had control, more or less, such a long time ago! Guess I'll just cop a 'human' plea!

Sue S on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018275)

Congratulaltions for your dedication and results. How long have you been doing your program? Thanks

ChrisO on 4/04/00 at 00:00 (018296)

Hi Sue - I've been on my little program for only 4 weeks or so - which is one reason I'm so shocked about my success. I started being pain-free for a good half a day within two weeks. Then of course I really gave myself a hard time for letting my PF be in charge of me for two years! I could have had control, more or less, such a long time ago! Guess I'll just cop a 'human' plea!