Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Beverly re: shoes vs. barefoot, And Alan re: achilles tendon

Posted by Nancy S. on 4/26/00 at 16:17 (019459)

Hi Beverly, I didn't know I was that scary, but if so and it got you off your bare feet, I'm glad I'm scary! Good for you for getting right out there and finding something. I hope the Eccos work out well for you. I don't have any myself but have read good things about them. It's so much trial and error, and the arch of one's foot seems to make a BIG difference. Actually, I learned more about it just today -- I was out there again trying to find something to wear in my good hiking boots while working. Last week I bought $55 Birk inserts -- after three days, pain. Yesterday I bought a drugstore pair of insoles that I jammed on top of my too-rigid orthotics, so I was clumping around today in that awkward sculpture, not doing too well. And I've been anxious to find something besides Birkenstocks to work on my feet in (I still love Birks around the house or for short journeys) -- but as Alan and I were discussing, it seems for some of us that the low heel can put stress on the achilles tendon. A perfect stranger told me, 'Go to Black Bear Medical Supply,' and I just came back from there. A great and helpful and knowledgeable guy spent an hour and a half with me, trying to find over-the-counter orthotics for my hiking boots that would address both my PF and recent achilles trouble. And I think we found them! They're called BioSoles, and as soon as I put them on I felt NO pain. I walked and walked in the store (the guy said, 'She needs a boulevard'), and so far they feel really wonderful -- the key is, just the right amount of arch support (I have normal arches, and I can just feel the touch of the support against my arch, but no pushing) and good material (unlike in those I've found in drugstores). This guy also believes the rigid orthotics are the PITS. These ones I bought today ($25) feel better for longish walking than anything else I've tried -- including $300 custom orthotics, Birks inserts, Dr. Scholl's (too high arch for me) and numerous other over-the-counter gadgets; I could start a museum. So now I plan to wear my Boston style Birks around the house and other little jaunts, and these BioSoles in my hiking boots for work in my barn and longer walks (when I reach that point). Hope I don't have to eat my words in a few days. But if so, Chris O. can say, 'Ah ha, I'm not the only one.' Alan, if you are reading this, the get-up I have on today is giving me no tight feeling at all around the achilles tendon. So far.
So Beverly, I guess you really sent me off on a tangent! Again, I'm glad you found shoes, and I truly hope your PF turns out to be a short case. --Nancy

Re: To Nancy. Thanks/insert combinations/Born

Beverly on 4/26/00 at 18:05 (019461)

Nancy,

Thanks for your chatty note. I'll be curious to hear how the biosoles do after a week or two.

It sounds like most of the people here have become very inventive with insert combinations. I've never been very inventive or daring with gadgets or mechanical, but I'm trying. I have researched this shoe thing alot on the web. Happy Feet has a podiatrist one can write on their web. I asked him which shoes for PF. He said, 'Birks or Mephisto.' But my personal pod gave me a choice of: Birks, Mephistos, Eccos, or in some cases Teva's. What I notice so far about the Ecco sandals - trying one pair at a time so I'll know which work, is that they take the pain away from my arch but not my heel. But at the moment, every step I take hurts no matter what shoes I have on; so it's hard to know.
My Aasics running shoes have a very built-up arch. I am looking forward to trying my custom orthodics when I get fitted for them next week.
As I've said before, they are not the rigid kind. Instead, they mold to my foot over time.

Funny what you said about getting the arch to fit right. On the store bought inserts (3/4 length) my pod gave me, he asked, 'Can you feel the arch support?' I said, 'I can feel it so well it hurts.' He seemed to think that meant they were giving me the proper support - taking it off my heel. Didn't make sense to me, but he is one of the top pod's in town and works with alot of runners. Maybe I misunderstood him. I'm going in with a list of questions when I see him next week.

While my foot hurts so much with this injury being so fresh it is hard if not impossible to know if a shoe or orthodic is a good fit. Am I understanding you all right: it sounds like several of you all wear more than one orthodics at the same time.

How long did it take to get used to Birks? Also, Nancy, you keep mentioning the barn. Maybe you'll be a good one to ask about cowboy boots. In June, when I go on vacation with Daddy, it will involve a trail ride. I have a pair of Justin cowboy boots (riding heel).
How do cowboy boots work? Most of the time I'll be on the horse.

Has anyone tried Born sandals or clogs? They look like they have alot of support.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 4/26/00 at 23:39 (019476)

Hi Beverly. Well, I'll be interested in what I say about the biosoles after a week or two, too -- because right now, only about 8 hours later, both my feet hurt. Already I am eating those words I wrote, and they don't taste good! I'm trying not tox I will give them more tries, but . . . I'm back in my Birks at the moment. (Took me a week or two to get used to the Birks; actually, I felt relief right away, but didn't get really comfortable until a week or two had passed.)
It's true, in an acute stage, it's hard for you to figure out what feels good -- because probably nothing feels REALLY good. So you just have to go by comparison, by relative pain. I've got so many orthotics and inserts now (and am starting to feel like a real fool), and each of them hurts me in a different way or place. I wish this type of variety could be interesting.
My achilles area feels tight again tonight.
Beverly, you have a lot of info now, and I'll be interested in what your dr. has to say about all this next week. Especially about the arch issue. I'm glad you're not getting rigid orthotics, I think they're a big mistake.
I hope I don't sound too too crabby tonight, but I do feel crabby (certainly not at you, though!).
I'm considering getting a really stable lace-up ankle brace for general foot stability. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
The barn I talk about is my barn full of antiques and other old stuff, which is my living -- but it's being neglected most days, I'm afraid. It haunts me out there, I love my work but feel cut off from it for the most part. Sorry, I'm not a true cowgirl so I can't advise you! But I hope you have a wonderful time with your dad and I bet you will. I guess tonight I'm letting off a little steam -- thank you for listening! --Nancy

Re: biosoles

alan k on 4/27/00 at 08:59 (019482)

Is that the name of the brand, the company, and is it a common thing in stores or where might one find it?

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 09:47 (019483)

Alan: I'm looking at the package. The company is Orthofeet Inc. in Northvale, New Jersey. The product is BioSole-Gel,
'self-conforming orthotics.' It's full-length, choose by shoe size, and the picture shows 'self-conforming foam' under the arch and viscoelastic gel in the center of the heel. I got them at a medical supply store and haven't seen them anywhere else -- so I would check med. sup. stores, and if they don't have them maybe they can order.
I'm afraid I got a little wound up and impatient last night. I've got the biosoles in my hiking boots this morning and they feel better again. (Think I was looking for 'perfect' last night, don't mind me.) They definitely do relieve stress on the achilles tendon, no question about it. The PF I can still feel a little bit sometimes, but of all the orthotics I've got, so far I would rate these the best. And now I will keep quiet, give them some time, and offer a more full experience-based opinion on them in a week or two. Do you have a normal arch? --Nancy

Re: To Nancy. Hope today is a better day/My Eccos

Beverly on 4/27/00 at 12:31 (019489)

Nancy,

I hope today is a better day for you.

An antique barn... I used to be in the antique business. I did it about five years. Never made any money, but I had a good time... specialized in glassware.

These Ecco shoes I'm wearing are the 'Ecco Soft' line. (Specific style name: 'Delight.') These are the ones I'm wearing around the house.
The other ones I wrote about, 'New Cosmos' have more heel (made of cork). Both are sandals.

I'm having to pace how much I'm on the computer for at least the next week, because if I were not enough of a klutz with my foot, I banged my elbow last week and so I'm going light on the computer. (Very old tendonistis case trying to flair up). My massage therapist said, 'What's this bruise and bump?' (ie: 'What have you done now!'). So, I'll have to be brief. (Not easy for a chatty person like me.)

It's too soon to say how the Eccos are doing. I don't feel any arch pain in them at all, but I do notice heel pain. When I'm on my foot, it does not feel as intense a pain as the doctor's inserts with my doc approved running shoes, but this morning, I woke up with more morning pain. So who knows? Like you said, different shoes and inserts move the pain around. And I don't know if it's my running shoes that hurt or if it's the inserts or both. I tried Superfeet and they felt too rigid, but I may not have given Superfeet a long enough go.

And yes, it is frustrating to love something you can't do much of. I really miss my jaunts to the health club or even going out on the town with the girls. My friends have been very considerate so far, but I know it's hard for them to understand how it could take so long to heal from something that to the naked eye shows no sign of injury.

I've tried to stay off my foot alot this week. My rest cure week is not quite as restful as I would like. I moved to the coastal south a year ago, and I bemoaned that I had no friends in this new place... prayed for friends... Now I have made a nice circle of friends; so I try not to turn down too many invitations. But overall, I have stayed off my feet as much as possible this week, and social activities have been things like movies and out to eat.

Hope today is a better day, and those insoles offer relief.
Beverly

PS: One thing I still don't understand. Why do people take Bromelain instead of a stronger perscription anti-inflammatory? (And if it is grapefruit based, isn't that just as hard on a stomach as an anti-inflammatory -especially the newer ones like Vioxx?) And other than being helped by loosing weight, what does diet have to do with a sports injury? I'm ahead of the game there since I gave up sugar years ago, but I still don't get what that has to do with my feet. I'm game for trying any safe experiment at the moment. I'm just trying to understand how this stuff works.

Re: Ah ha! plus ART

ChrisO on 4/27/00 at 17:29 (019501)

No worries, Nancy, just practicing....... Actually, I wanted to say that I hope you'll keep us posted on the new inserts. I'm just about fed up with my fourth pair of custom orthotics. Seems they're all just too rigid.
re; ART - I've done the fourth treatment with the Chiropractor and I can honestly say that something's working. I told my husband though that I've become just too skeptical to believe in anything 100%! Anyway, this 4th visit was less painful by about half - isn't that great? And I spent a couple of days on my feet in Sacramento this weekend with no terrible day-after pain - just some tolerable ache.
Now, here's the twist. I went to my physical therapist this AM for my weekly PT. He's convinced that a bunch of my arch pain is also from the upper-surface bone so he's trying to loosen all the joints that are involved. Well the result of that is that within moments of that treatment, my sorest foot was right back to completely sore!
I'm thinking now I'll stick with the ART solo till it's done and stay away from the PT for awhile.......although he is fairly cute.....

ChrisO on 4/27/00 at 17:45 (019503)

Hi Nancy - me again. A couple of thoughts about the biosoles. If they are self-conforming, I wonder if the stuffing would end up pushed away from the arch instead of under it? Or maybe just the opposit. Hmmmmm. Also, you were up WAY TOO LATE last nite - your feet had a long day! (do you need a Mom?)

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 17:54 (019504)

Thank you, Beverly, I am having a better day today. I rested a lot this afternoon, because after a day of trying on numerous inserts etc. foot things seem to act up. But I did go out for an appt. this morning in the biosoles and hiking boots and they felt better again. I need to give them more time than ONE day (duh)!
You might have had more morning pain today from trying on different shoes. I don't think at this point it means anything -- your feet need to adjust to the new shoes, and if they're good then your morning pain should recede again, I would think. I would wear whatever feels best, doctor-recommended or not (although I think it's very nice your dr. recommends something -- mine never did).
So you're a klutz too? Join the club, there seem to be a number of klutzes here, including me. (This is why I can't do much antiquing in glassware. If it isn't chipped or cracked before I get my hands on it, it is afterward! I think you're the first fellow antiquer I've found on the board, and I'm surprised there aren't more. Many of my colleagues limp around, I notice.)
I do think it's best to try one thing at a time for a long enough time to tell if it's truly making a difference. Hard to do, though. I was faulting my hiking shoes for increased pain, and found out they're actually very good shoes (the med. supply store guy yesterday reiterated this to me) and strongly suspect it was the hard orthotics causing problems, not the shoes.
I'm actually so much better than I was before I found this site, I really shouldn't complain like I did last night.
Re: bromelain and Rx anti-inflammatories: I tried Rx Daypro and it caused stomach problems. The bromelain doesn't, at least not for me. I didn't want to go on other Rx because over the long term they can cause stomach and possibly liver problems -- and I didn't know how long term I'd be. But many people have posted here about Celebrex and Vioxx, and I wouldn't rule out trying them in the future, for a time, if it seems necessary. About diet, I'm no scientist. I just think that if you eat well and your immune system is functioning well, it can only have a positive effect on anything your body is fighting, anywhere. So for me it's just general principle.
Beverly, I hope your elbow gets better quickly, and also that you keep on resting your feet even in the small ways, such as when you used the stool for your sermon. These small ways do add up and are one reason I'm better today than I was for the 8 months before I found this site. Take care --Nancy

Re: a bit more on BioSoles (and to Chriso)

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 20:04 (019518)

Hi Chris, the biosoles don't look or feel to me as though the insides will move around. They seem well and firmly made, and you can't see the inside features -- they are sealed all the way around.
I looked them up on the web today. They're listed in the Pedorthic Footwear Association's pedorthic products reference guide, which 'highlights pedorthic products offered by member companies-in-good-standing.' Looks like a newish company -- 1999. They claim the orthotic 'does not bottom out.' However, the guy who sold them to me recommended that anyone with a real problem like PF replace them every 3 months or so, to be on the safe side. If they end up working well for me, I won't mind that investment one bit. Remember, I have 'normal' arches, and I don't know how the biosoles would be for someone with a high or low arch. Until now, I've had trouble finding orthotics or inserts that fit my arch right; the vast majority of ones I try on have too-high arch support for me. And yet I do need some arch support -- if there isn't enough, the thing kills me. This is quite a large research project we are engaged in, isn't it?
Well Chris, I consider myself rightly taken to task; you're right, I was up WAY TOO LATE last night -- and wishing there were more insomniacs on this board, I might add! Where were you all, anyway?? Sleeping in your night splints? Is that any reason to leave me alone like that? Maybe I do need a Mom. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 20:14 (019520)

Chris, that IS great -- this ART sounds more and more interesting. And two days of city walking without regret -- wonderful sign. Yeah, I would stick with the ART, even if your PT is cute. My pod was 'cute' too, you know, and shall I say flattering -- but he was wrong. So I choose painlessness over cuteness any day. Don't know if John h will agree . . . he is becoming a little infamous on this board, but I think his humor usually overrides anything outrageous. --Nancy

Re: Art?

Beverly on 4/27/00 at 21:04 (019527)

What is Art? Is it a type of massage?

Beverly on 4/26/00 at 18:05 (019461)

Nancy,

Thanks for your chatty note. I'll be curious to hear how the biosoles do after a week or two.

It sounds like most of the people here have become very inventive with insert combinations. I've never been very inventive or daring with gadgets or mechanical, but I'm trying. I have researched this shoe thing alot on the web. Happy Feet has a podiatrist one can write on their web. I asked him which shoes for PF. He said, 'Birks or Mephisto.' But my personal pod gave me a choice of: Birks, Mephistos, Eccos, or in some cases Teva's. What I notice so far about the Ecco sandals - trying one pair at a time so I'll know which work, is that they take the pain away from my arch but not my heel. But at the moment, every step I take hurts no matter what shoes I have on; so it's hard to know.
My Aasics running shoes have a very built-up arch. I am looking forward to trying my custom orthodics when I get fitted for them next week.
As I've said before, they are not the rigid kind. Instead, they mold to my foot over time.

Funny what you said about getting the arch to fit right. On the store bought inserts (3/4 length) my pod gave me, he asked, 'Can you feel the arch support?' I said, 'I can feel it so well it hurts.' He seemed to think that meant they were giving me the proper support - taking it off my heel. Didn't make sense to me, but he is one of the top pod's in town and works with alot of runners. Maybe I misunderstood him. I'm going in with a list of questions when I see him next week.

While my foot hurts so much with this injury being so fresh it is hard if not impossible to know if a shoe or orthodic is a good fit. Am I understanding you all right: it sounds like several of you all wear more than one orthodics at the same time.

How long did it take to get used to Birks? Also, Nancy, you keep mentioning the barn. Maybe you'll be a good one to ask about cowboy boots. In June, when I go on vacation with Daddy, it will involve a trail ride. I have a pair of Justin cowboy boots (riding heel).
How do cowboy boots work? Most of the time I'll be on the horse.

Has anyone tried Born sandals or clogs? They look like they have alot of support.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 4/26/00 at 23:39 (019476)

Hi Beverly. Well, I'll be interested in what I say about the biosoles after a week or two, too -- because right now, only about 8 hours later, both my feet hurt. Already I am eating those words I wrote, and they don't taste good! I'm trying not tox I will give them more tries, but . . . I'm back in my Birks at the moment. (Took me a week or two to get used to the Birks; actually, I felt relief right away, but didn't get really comfortable until a week or two had passed.)
It's true, in an acute stage, it's hard for you to figure out what feels good -- because probably nothing feels REALLY good. So you just have to go by comparison, by relative pain. I've got so many orthotics and inserts now (and am starting to feel like a real fool), and each of them hurts me in a different way or place. I wish this type of variety could be interesting.
My achilles area feels tight again tonight.
Beverly, you have a lot of info now, and I'll be interested in what your dr. has to say about all this next week. Especially about the arch issue. I'm glad you're not getting rigid orthotics, I think they're a big mistake.
I hope I don't sound too too crabby tonight, but I do feel crabby (certainly not at you, though!).
I'm considering getting a really stable lace-up ankle brace for general foot stability. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
The barn I talk about is my barn full of antiques and other old stuff, which is my living -- but it's being neglected most days, I'm afraid. It haunts me out there, I love my work but feel cut off from it for the most part. Sorry, I'm not a true cowgirl so I can't advise you! But I hope you have a wonderful time with your dad and I bet you will. I guess tonight I'm letting off a little steam -- thank you for listening! --Nancy

alan k on 4/27/00 at 08:59 (019482)

Is that the name of the brand, the company, and is it a common thing in stores or where might one find it?

alan k

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 09:47 (019483)

Alan: I'm looking at the package. The company is Orthofeet Inc. in Northvale, New Jersey. The product is BioSole-Gel,
'self-conforming orthotics.' It's full-length, choose by shoe size, and the picture shows 'self-conforming foam' under the arch and viscoelastic gel in the center of the heel. I got them at a medical supply store and haven't seen them anywhere else -- so I would check med. sup. stores, and if they don't have them maybe they can order.
I'm afraid I got a little wound up and impatient last night. I've got the biosoles in my hiking boots this morning and they feel better again. (Think I was looking for 'perfect' last night, don't mind me.) They definitely do relieve stress on the achilles tendon, no question about it. The PF I can still feel a little bit sometimes, but of all the orthotics I've got, so far I would rate these the best. And now I will keep quiet, give them some time, and offer a more full experience-based opinion on them in a week or two. Do you have a normal arch? --Nancy

Beverly on 4/27/00 at 12:31 (019489)

Nancy,

I hope today is a better day for you.

An antique barn... I used to be in the antique business. I did it about five years. Never made any money, but I had a good time... specialized in glassware.

These Ecco shoes I'm wearing are the 'Ecco Soft' line. (Specific style name: 'Delight.') These are the ones I'm wearing around the house.
The other ones I wrote about, 'New Cosmos' have more heel (made of cork). Both are sandals.

I'm having to pace how much I'm on the computer for at least the next week, because if I were not enough of a klutz with my foot, I banged my elbow last week and so I'm going light on the computer. (Very old tendonistis case trying to flair up). My massage therapist said, 'What's this bruise and bump?' (ie: 'What have you done now!'). So, I'll have to be brief. (Not easy for a chatty person like me.)

It's too soon to say how the Eccos are doing. I don't feel any arch pain in them at all, but I do notice heel pain. When I'm on my foot, it does not feel as intense a pain as the doctor's inserts with my doc approved running shoes, but this morning, I woke up with more morning pain. So who knows? Like you said, different shoes and inserts move the pain around. And I don't know if it's my running shoes that hurt or if it's the inserts or both. I tried Superfeet and they felt too rigid, but I may not have given Superfeet a long enough go.

And yes, it is frustrating to love something you can't do much of. I really miss my jaunts to the health club or even going out on the town with the girls. My friends have been very considerate so far, but I know it's hard for them to understand how it could take so long to heal from something that to the naked eye shows no sign of injury.

I've tried to stay off my foot alot this week. My rest cure week is not quite as restful as I would like. I moved to the coastal south a year ago, and I bemoaned that I had no friends in this new place... prayed for friends... Now I have made a nice circle of friends; so I try not to turn down too many invitations. But overall, I have stayed off my feet as much as possible this week, and social activities have been things like movies and out to eat.

Hope today is a better day, and those insoles offer relief.
Beverly

PS: One thing I still don't understand. Why do people take Bromelain instead of a stronger perscription anti-inflammatory? (And if it is grapefruit based, isn't that just as hard on a stomach as an anti-inflammatory -especially the newer ones like Vioxx?) And other than being helped by loosing weight, what does diet have to do with a sports injury? I'm ahead of the game there since I gave up sugar years ago, but I still don't get what that has to do with my feet. I'm game for trying any safe experiment at the moment. I'm just trying to understand how this stuff works.

ChrisO on 4/27/00 at 17:29 (019501)

No worries, Nancy, just practicing....... Actually, I wanted to say that I hope you'll keep us posted on the new inserts. I'm just about fed up with my fourth pair of custom orthotics. Seems they're all just too rigid.
re; ART - I've done the fourth treatment with the Chiropractor and I can honestly say that something's working. I told my husband though that I've become just too skeptical to believe in anything 100%! Anyway, this 4th visit was less painful by about half - isn't that great? And I spent a couple of days on my feet in Sacramento this weekend with no terrible day-after pain - just some tolerable ache.
Now, here's the twist. I went to my physical therapist this AM for my weekly PT. He's convinced that a bunch of my arch pain is also from the upper-surface bone so he's trying to loosen all the joints that are involved. Well the result of that is that within moments of that treatment, my sorest foot was right back to completely sore!
I'm thinking now I'll stick with the ART solo till it's done and stay away from the PT for awhile.......although he is fairly cute.....

ChrisO on 4/27/00 at 17:45 (019503)

Hi Nancy - me again. A couple of thoughts about the biosoles. If they are self-conforming, I wonder if the stuffing would end up pushed away from the arch instead of under it? Or maybe just the opposit. Hmmmmm. Also, you were up WAY TOO LATE last nite - your feet had a long day! (do you need a Mom?)

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 17:54 (019504)

Thank you, Beverly, I am having a better day today. I rested a lot this afternoon, because after a day of trying on numerous inserts etc. foot things seem to act up. But I did go out for an appt. this morning in the biosoles and hiking boots and they felt better again. I need to give them more time than ONE day (duh)!
You might have had more morning pain today from trying on different shoes. I don't think at this point it means anything -- your feet need to adjust to the new shoes, and if they're good then your morning pain should recede again, I would think. I would wear whatever feels best, doctor-recommended or not (although I think it's very nice your dr. recommends something -- mine never did).
So you're a klutz too? Join the club, there seem to be a number of klutzes here, including me. (This is why I can't do much antiquing in glassware. If it isn't chipped or cracked before I get my hands on it, it is afterward! I think you're the first fellow antiquer I've found on the board, and I'm surprised there aren't more. Many of my colleagues limp around, I notice.)
I do think it's best to try one thing at a time for a long enough time to tell if it's truly making a difference. Hard to do, though. I was faulting my hiking shoes for increased pain, and found out they're actually very good shoes (the med. supply store guy yesterday reiterated this to me) and strongly suspect it was the hard orthotics causing problems, not the shoes.
I'm actually so much better than I was before I found this site, I really shouldn't complain like I did last night.
Re: bromelain and Rx anti-inflammatories: I tried Rx Daypro and it caused stomach problems. The bromelain doesn't, at least not for me. I didn't want to go on other Rx because over the long term they can cause stomach and possibly liver problems -- and I didn't know how long term I'd be. But many people have posted here about Celebrex and Vioxx, and I wouldn't rule out trying them in the future, for a time, if it seems necessary. About diet, I'm no scientist. I just think that if you eat well and your immune system is functioning well, it can only have a positive effect on anything your body is fighting, anywhere. So for me it's just general principle.
Beverly, I hope your elbow gets better quickly, and also that you keep on resting your feet even in the small ways, such as when you used the stool for your sermon. These small ways do add up and are one reason I'm better today than I was for the 8 months before I found this site. Take care --Nancy

Re: a bit more on BioSoles (and to Chriso)

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 20:04 (019518)

Hi Chris, the biosoles don't look or feel to me as though the insides will move around. They seem well and firmly made, and you can't see the inside features -- they are sealed all the way around.
I looked them up on the web today. They're listed in the Pedorthic Footwear Association's pedorthic products reference guide, which 'highlights pedorthic products offered by member companies-in-good-standing.' Looks like a newish company -- 1999. They claim the orthotic 'does not bottom out.' However, the guy who sold them to me recommended that anyone with a real problem like PF replace them every 3 months or so, to be on the safe side. If they end up working well for me, I won't mind that investment one bit. Remember, I have 'normal' arches, and I don't know how the biosoles would be for someone with a high or low arch. Until now, I've had trouble finding orthotics or inserts that fit my arch right; the vast majority of ones I try on have too-high arch support for me. And yet I do need some arch support -- if there isn't enough, the thing kills me. This is quite a large research project we are engaged in, isn't it?
Well Chris, I consider myself rightly taken to task; you're right, I was up WAY TOO LATE last night -- and wishing there were more insomniacs on this board, I might add! Where were you all, anyway?? Sleeping in your night splints? Is that any reason to leave me alone like that? Maybe I do need a Mom. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 20:14 (019520)

Chris, that IS great -- this ART sounds more and more interesting. And two days of city walking without regret -- wonderful sign. Yeah, I would stick with the ART, even if your PT is cute. My pod was 'cute' too, you know, and shall I say flattering -- but he was wrong. So I choose painlessness over cuteness any day. Don't know if John h will agree . . . he is becoming a little infamous on this board, but I think his humor usually overrides anything outrageous. --Nancy

Re: Art?

Beverly on 4/27/00 at 21:04 (019527)

What is Art? Is it a type of massage?