Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthopedist vs. Podiatrist

Posted by Lori R. on 4/26/00 at 19:47 (019469)

I was doing better with what I think is PF after 3 bouts of massage, polarity work. Then occassionally I feel a sharp pain in my metarsals, like I sprained my foot if I move a certain way. Question, where should I go first. a podiatrist or a orthodpedist. I live in NYC. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated. I have found relief from something called count'r-force arch brace (purchased in supper runners store). It looks like the Fab from Dr. Roth and it feel good.

Re: orthopedist vs. Podiatrist

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 18:25 (019508)

Lori, that arch brace sounds interesting; I'm going to look into it.
Let's see, podiatrist or orthopedist? My own personal opinion is that, in general, I would seek out an orthopedist. I feel this way because of a bad experience with a podiatrist (so that's not much of a reason to listen to me), but also because an orthopedist had four years of medical school and is an M.D., whereas a podiatrist is not. (On the other hand, some people have a great pod. -- Laurie R. is one.)
If you can get a great recommendation for a specific foot doctor, I would try that person, whether podiatrist or orthopedist.
--Nancy S.

Re: orthopedist vs. Podiatrist re

Laurie R on 4/27/00 at 18:50 (019512)

Hi,
Nancy is right but I did get lucky with my Podiatrist but he is also a MD and he is a ankle and foot surgeon.I feel you need to check out both kinds of doctors but please be sure if it is a pod he or she is a MD.....Laurie R

Lori R. on 4/27/00 at 20:27 (019521)

Where does your doctor live?? I live in NYC. Is he close by. My symptoms are much better today after walking in a mall today. I do need to rest and not go out and run once I feel better. Is that the motto??

Re: orthopedist vs. Podiatrist reLori

Laurie R on 4/27/00 at 20:59 (019525)

Hi we got the same name going on just different spelling,anyways I am in CA someone from the board wanted to know who was my doctor and I told him and he had his first appointment 4 weeks ago with him and he has other appointment tomarrow.He also likes him ever much.I will tell you Lori it took me a long time to find him I can't say enough about him he is wonderful,he always makes sure I understand and that I am comfortable.I do feel very lucky to have him .In the past I have had the worse doctors ever put it this way they had no business being doctors,that's why I always speak so highly of him.

Do you know of anyone that has PF that lives by you that you can go to their doctor? I do hope you can find a good Pod or Doctor by you so you can start treatment If I am right you have only had this for a short time right? Maybe you can cured fast..My very best to you Lori and good luck with finding a good doctor......Laurie R

dfeet on 4/27/00 at 21:11 (019529)

I had a bad experience with a Pod., so I would recommend an orthopod who specializes in the foot and ankle. Picking a physician is so hard. I find that even with the best recommendations sometimes things just don't click. I'm sorry I cannot refer you to someone in your area, but you may want to call your city's medical board for a recommended orthopod who is board certified in the foot and ankle. My orthopod is cerified, teaches at Brown University,and holds seminars at the local hospitals. I got the referral from my PT. And called the board. Hope this helps. Good Luck!-dfeet

john h on 4/30/00 at 09:35 (019637)

i must admit for a long time i was very partial to M.D.'s with a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. I am now of a different opinion. There are excellent poditrist and M.D's and one's not so great. Some of my best advice has come from Poditrist. It also depends on what kind of foot problem's you are dealing with. I would probably want an orthopod for major ankle/bone surgery but that is just an opinion. In the end it all depends on the individual doctor you see. It is the luck of the draw.

Lori R. on 4/30/00 at 20:31 (019677)

Yes, Laurie I have had it a short time. I am taking it easy and going for massage work. I live in NYC and I am looking for a good MD.
Thanks for your encouragement.

Re: orthopedist vs. Podiatrist

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 18:25 (019508)

Lori, that arch brace sounds interesting; I'm going to look into it.
Let's see, podiatrist or orthopedist? My own personal opinion is that, in general, I would seek out an orthopedist. I feel this way because of a bad experience with a podiatrist (so that's not much of a reason to listen to me), but also because an orthopedist had four years of medical school and is an M.D., whereas a podiatrist is not. (On the other hand, some people have a great pod. -- Laurie R. is one.)
If you can get a great recommendation for a specific foot doctor, I would try that person, whether podiatrist or orthopedist.
--Nancy S.

Laurie R on 4/27/00 at 18:50 (019512)

Hi,
Nancy is right but I did get lucky with my Podiatrist but he is also a MD and he is a ankle and foot surgeon.I feel you need to check out both kinds of doctors but please be sure if it is a pod he or she is a MD.....Laurie R

Lori R. on 4/27/00 at 20:27 (019521)

Where does your doctor live?? I live in NYC. Is he close by. My symptoms are much better today after walking in a mall today. I do need to rest and not go out and run once I feel better. Is that the motto??

Laurie R on 4/27/00 at 20:59 (019525)

Hi we got the same name going on just different spelling,anyways I am in CA someone from the board wanted to know who was my doctor and I told him and he had his first appointment 4 weeks ago with him and he has other appointment tomarrow.He also likes him ever much.I will tell you Lori it took me a long time to find him I can't say enough about him he is wonderful,he always makes sure I understand and that I am comfortable.I do feel very lucky to have him .In the past I have had the worse doctors ever put it this way they had no business being doctors,that's why I always speak so highly of him.

Do you know of anyone that has PF that lives by you that you can go to their doctor? I do hope you can find a good Pod or Doctor by you so you can start treatment If I am right you have only had this for a short time right? Maybe you can cured fast..My very best to you Lori and good luck with finding a good doctor......Laurie R

dfeet on 4/27/00 at 21:11 (019529)

I had a bad experience with a Pod., so I would recommend an orthopod who specializes in the foot and ankle. Picking a physician is so hard. I find that even with the best recommendations sometimes things just don't click. I'm sorry I cannot refer you to someone in your area, but you may want to call your city's medical board for a recommended orthopod who is board certified in the foot and ankle. My orthopod is cerified, teaches at Brown University,and holds seminars at the local hospitals. I got the referral from my PT. And called the board. Hope this helps. Good Luck!-dfeet

john h on 4/30/00 at 09:35 (019637)

i must admit for a long time i was very partial to M.D.'s with a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. I am now of a different opinion. There are excellent poditrist and M.D's and one's not so great. Some of my best advice has come from Poditrist. It also depends on what kind of foot problem's you are dealing with. I would probably want an orthopod for major ankle/bone surgery but that is just an opinion. In the end it all depends on the individual doctor you see. It is the luck of the draw.

Lori R. on 4/30/00 at 20:31 (019677)

Yes, Laurie I have had it a short time. I am taking it easy and going for massage work. I live in NYC and I am looking for a good MD.
Thanks for your encouragement.