Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What about the long term sufferers?

Posted by cindyp on 4/27/00 at 10:31 (019485)

I know that most doctors say anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months as a possible cure time. What about the long term sufferers? Does that mean we are without help? After 7 years now it seems as if there is too much damage to do much more than surgery. Sorry feeling bad today and discouraged that I cannot even drive a car without twinges.

Re: What about the long term sufferers?

Cheryl on 4/27/00 at 13:43 (019492)

Cindy, and I think I have it bad I don't even feel like talking to anyone anymore because all I do is complain.I've been battling foot/heel pain for only 11 months!!I'm never complaining again(lie).. Seven years is riduclous! this is the new millenium we should be able to cure everything...Cindy I will keep you in my prayers and I hope you can have a pain/twinge free day tomorrow. Cheryl

john h on 4/27/00 at 16:32 (019495)

cindy: i have had pf but got pumped up today after talking to the doctor. yes there must be help for long term sufferers. women got the right to vote did they not.

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 18:18 (019507)

Hi Cindy -- oh yes, there is help for long-term sufferers, and some long-termers posting on this board are getting better. (For example, I believe Bob G. had this for 8 years, and he is now running, dancing, and having a grand old time.) If I remember correctly, during much of your 7 years with this problem you weren't doing much in the way of treatment, is that right? If so, what are you doing for your feet now, and are you finding any suggestions on this board helpful? I had absolutely no relief until I found this site. I've had PF for one year. For the first 8 months I did a lot of damage and reinjuring, but now I am improving. I still think you can too. It sounds like your 7 years allowed a lot of discouragement to build up, and you're right, it does get discouraging sometimes. But I'm wondering -- if you get really active in your treatment, that can nourish your attitude and help you have more positive days. And then hope and positive attitude can have a good effect on your feet -- sort of a friendly cycle instead of the infamous vicious cycle. So please keep posting, and do let us know what you're trying for your feet and if we can give you any helpful feedback. All the best to you, Cindy --Nancy S.

cindyp on 4/27/00 at 20:44 (019524)

What I was doing was mostly taking nsaids by the truckload to try and alleviate the pain and swelling. Worked to the point some days I could function. Swelling has never went away in all this time.For the longest time I had no type of healthcare available to me. Then I found out that I am eligible for veteran's benefits because I was in the service at one time. Just cannot hold a job now. No one is going to hire someone with a noticeable limp. I suffer I think from 4 separate problems. On the lateral side(outside edge of my foot on the under side of my foot) I get shooting stabbing twinges of pain. I do not know what this is. On the medial (or inside of my foot underneath the ankle on the arch) is a noticeable swelling that nothing has alleviated. This may be a torn tendon? I also have the twinges when having walked any longer than 5 minutes. Also when first stepping on my foot I have pain. So there is the pf along with whatever else it is.

Re: What about the long term sufferers?re Cindy

Laurie R on 4/27/00 at 21:11 (019528)

Hi Cindy,
First of all my heart goes out to you,I do understand pain not only do I have PF and TTS I also have Endometriosis and I have had that for 19 years and I have had 7 surgery's for it and I still have that pain once in a while it gets real hard when I have all 3 things going on.

When do you go back to your doctor to see how your MRI came out?I sure hope that he or she will help you with this 7 years is to long to have this.So you say you can't work due to this?And you can't walk?Do you have someone that helps you?I will say a prayer for you tonight and I hope you can find something or someone that can help you.My very best to you Cindy........Laurie R

dfeet on 4/27/00 at 21:37 (019531)

Oh, cindy. I truly feel for you. I know it is so difficult and you wish things were different. This is a terrible affliction,and there are many days where I have felt like you-discouraged and sick of hearing my self complain. The worst sometimes is being asked,'how are your feet?' ARGGG!!! Sometimes you have to allow yourself a little time to vent and recharge your batteries. I hope you have better days ahead. You'll be in my thoughts-dfeet

Steve P on 4/28/00 at 17:36 (019575)

Cindy -- Have you thought about installing hand controls on your car? A basic mechanical device for the throttle & brake is just a few hundred bucks (assumes you have an automatic transmission) & could be well worth the investment. Most hand controls are installed so that the car can still be driven in the normal manner also.

Cheryl on 4/27/00 at 13:43 (019492)

Cindy, and I think I have it bad I don't even feel like talking to anyone anymore because all I do is complain.I've been battling foot/heel pain for only 11 months!!I'm never complaining again(lie).. Seven years is riduclous! this is the new millenium we should be able to cure everything...Cindy I will keep you in my prayers and I hope you can have a pain/twinge free day tomorrow. Cheryl

john h on 4/27/00 at 16:32 (019495)

cindy: i have had pf but got pumped up today after talking to the doctor. yes there must be help for long term sufferers. women got the right to vote did they not.

Nancy S. on 4/27/00 at 18:18 (019507)

Hi Cindy -- oh yes, there is help for long-term sufferers, and some long-termers posting on this board are getting better. (For example, I believe Bob G. had this for 8 years, and he is now running, dancing, and having a grand old time.) If I remember correctly, during much of your 7 years with this problem you weren't doing much in the way of treatment, is that right? If so, what are you doing for your feet now, and are you finding any suggestions on this board helpful? I had absolutely no relief until I found this site. I've had PF for one year. For the first 8 months I did a lot of damage and reinjuring, but now I am improving. I still think you can too. It sounds like your 7 years allowed a lot of discouragement to build up, and you're right, it does get discouraging sometimes. But I'm wondering -- if you get really active in your treatment, that can nourish your attitude and help you have more positive days. And then hope and positive attitude can have a good effect on your feet -- sort of a friendly cycle instead of the infamous vicious cycle. So please keep posting, and do let us know what you're trying for your feet and if we can give you any helpful feedback. All the best to you, Cindy --Nancy S.

cindyp on 4/27/00 at 20:44 (019524)

What I was doing was mostly taking nsaids by the truckload to try and alleviate the pain and swelling. Worked to the point some days I could function. Swelling has never went away in all this time.For the longest time I had no type of healthcare available to me. Then I found out that I am eligible for veteran's benefits because I was in the service at one time. Just cannot hold a job now. No one is going to hire someone with a noticeable limp. I suffer I think from 4 separate problems. On the lateral side(outside edge of my foot on the under side of my foot) I get shooting stabbing twinges of pain. I do not know what this is. On the medial (or inside of my foot underneath the ankle on the arch) is a noticeable swelling that nothing has alleviated. This may be a torn tendon? I also have the twinges when having walked any longer than 5 minutes. Also when first stepping on my foot I have pain. So there is the pf along with whatever else it is.

Re: What about the long term sufferers?re Cindy

Laurie R on 4/27/00 at 21:11 (019528)

Hi Cindy,
First of all my heart goes out to you,I do understand pain not only do I have PF and TTS I also have Endometriosis and I have had that for 19 years and I have had 7 surgery's for it and I still have that pain once in a while it gets real hard when I have all 3 things going on.

When do you go back to your doctor to see how your MRI came out?I sure hope that he or she will help you with this 7 years is to long to have this.So you say you can't work due to this?And you can't walk?Do you have someone that helps you?I will say a prayer for you tonight and I hope you can find something or someone that can help you.My very best to you Cindy........Laurie R

dfeet on 4/27/00 at 21:37 (019531)

Oh, cindy. I truly feel for you. I know it is so difficult and you wish things were different. This is a terrible affliction,and there are many days where I have felt like you-discouraged and sick of hearing my self complain. The worst sometimes is being asked,'how are your feet?' ARGGG!!! Sometimes you have to allow yourself a little time to vent and recharge your batteries. I hope you have better days ahead. You'll be in my thoughts-dfeet

Steve P on 4/28/00 at 17:36 (019575)

Cindy -- Have you thought about installing hand controls on your car? A basic mechanical device for the throttle & brake is just a few hundred bucks (assumes you have an automatic transmission) & could be well worth the investment. Most hand controls are installed so that the car can still be driven in the normal manner also.