Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

questions on OssaTron

Posted by john h on 4/27/00 at 00:00 (019486)

for those of you who went to canada: (1) did any of you not have the classic early morning 1st step pain? (2) Did any of you not have a spot you could press on and reproduce the PF pain?
(3) how did the drs determine the spot they focused the shockwaves on? (4) did any of you have a cortisone injection at some point prior to EWST and it provided some relief or did you have an injection and it provided no relief? (5) was your pain primarly at some point where the fascia connects the the heel and was this pain primarly on the inside portion of the foot where the band of fascia from the great toe connects to the heel?

these questions will guide me and perhaps others in trying to gauge whether EWST will be of benefit to them.

posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Re: questions on OssaTron

GinaC on 4/27/00 at 00:00 (019493)

1. yes - morning pain most of the time
2. yes - press on spot reproduced PF pain
3. painful spot was located, circled and treatment was directed to that area; was told mine was hard to treat because of small foot/heel
4. 3 cortisone shots over 3 years - very brief, mild relief
5. yes - pain where fascia connects to heel, toward inside of foot
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: OssaTron

john h on 4/28/00 at 18:20 (019582)

gina: do you use a night splint. i would be interested to know if you had early morning 1st step pain after using a night splint. my thoughts are if the fascia is not allowed to contract during the night your 1st step should not be much of a problem.

Re: night splint

GinaC on 4/28/00 at 18:43 (019583)

Tried one for a while, but while it helped with first step, it didn't help much else. Pain that increases with length of time on my feet has always been a much bigger problem for me than first step after rest; the first step pain seems to come and go. Now I just stretch/flex foot before getting out of bed and that seems to take care of it.
Also--read some of your other posts on PF board....in terms of ossatron pretreatment evaluation, I was told that a 'virgin' foot is a better candidate for treatment than a foot that's had surgery...who knows how accurate that is, but thought I'd pass it along.

john h on 4/28/00 at 19:21 (019584)

gina: your night splint experience sort of makes sense. dr zukerman, i think wrote me he had done several orbasone treatments on folks who had surgery. if i go the orbasone route i will certainly do the virgin foot first. since no one on the board has ever had an orbsone guess i might be the 1st. probably around june or july. of course my recent shot is providing some relief and i want to see how this runs its course. i plan to have a shot in the surgical foot when i go back if get any lasting effect from this 1st one.

Martha B. on 4/29/00 at 20:10 (019615)

1. severe am pain that would come and go as the day progressed.
2.yes-press on spot reproducing PF pain.
3. Dr. required ultrasound and also pressed on heel-circled with marker prior to ossatron procedure.
4.3 cortisone injections in 1 heel
4 injections in other-LESS pain reduction with each injection. I was desperate due to the pain and uneducated about cortisone side effects-hadn't found this GREAT board yet. Wish I had never had the shots!
5. Most pain was where fascia connects to heel but pain radiated when
I was too active.
Am thrilled to report that I am doing extremely well after Sept. Ossatron. Keep on keeping on you guys!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/00 at 20:51 (019617)

You have the exact type of history that i like to see. and would expect to get a good and or complete relief of pain with ESWT.
I am starting to rethink my treatments with steriod injections after reading this board and the literature about steriod injections. All of my patients will be told that there is about an 8% chance of rupture of the pf with steriod injections.

john h on 4/30/00 at 09:43 (019638)

dr z: as one who refused steriod injections for 6 years and then finally decided to go and request one and find some immediate relief i would not totally write them off. you are the one that sort of convinced me to try one to see if i might be a candidate for the orbasone. it seems to me if you find relief from a single injection you have sort of narrowed the field of possible causes. I think i can rule out lower back problems now or some other exotic disease. i have read of many cases and i suspect you have had many where a single injection allowed the inflamation of the fascia to subside and the patient to move on to recovery. the tough cases on this board,me included, are surely not typical and i would think i would not adjust my treatment protocol for your everyday PF patient based on our experiences.

GinaC on 4/27/00 at 00:00 (019493)

1. yes - morning pain most of the time
2. yes - press on spot reproduced PF pain
3. painful spot was located, circled and treatment was directed to that area; was told mine was hard to treat because of small foot/heel
4. 3 cortisone shots over 3 years - very brief, mild relief
5. yes - pain where fascia connects to heel, toward inside of foot

john h on 4/28/00 at 18:20 (019582)

gina: do you use a night splint. i would be interested to know if you had early morning 1st step pain after using a night splint. my thoughts are if the fascia is not allowed to contract during the night your 1st step should not be much of a problem.

GinaC on 4/28/00 at 18:43 (019583)

Tried one for a while, but while it helped with first step, it didn't help much else. Pain that increases with length of time on my feet has always been a much bigger problem for me than first step after rest; the first step pain seems to come and go. Now I just stretch/flex foot before getting out of bed and that seems to take care of it.
Also--read some of your other posts on PF board....in terms of ossatron pretreatment evaluation, I was told that a 'virgin' foot is a better candidate for treatment than a foot that's had surgery...who knows how accurate that is, but thought I'd pass it along.

john h on 4/28/00 at 19:21 (019584)

gina: your night splint experience sort of makes sense. dr zukerman, i think wrote me he had done several orbasone treatments on folks who had surgery. if i go the orbasone route i will certainly do the virgin foot first. since no one on the board has ever had an orbsone guess i might be the 1st. probably around june or july. of course my recent shot is providing some relief and i want to see how this runs its course. i plan to have a shot in the surgical foot when i go back if get any lasting effect from this 1st one.

Martha B. on 4/29/00 at 20:10 (019615)

1. severe am pain that would come and go as the day progressed.
2.yes-press on spot reproducing PF pain.
3. Dr. required ultrasound and also pressed on heel-circled with marker prior to ossatron procedure.
4.3 cortisone injections in 1 heel
4 injections in other-LESS pain reduction with each injection. I was desperate due to the pain and uneducated about cortisone side effects-hadn't found this GREAT board yet. Wish I had never had the shots!
5. Most pain was where fascia connects to heel but pain radiated when
I was too active.
Am thrilled to report that I am doing extremely well after Sept. Ossatron. Keep on keeping on you guys!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/00 at 20:51 (019617)

You have the exact type of history that i like to see. and would expect to get a good and or complete relief of pain with ESWT.
I am starting to rethink my treatments with steriod injections after reading this board and the literature about steriod injections. All of my patients will be told that there is about an 8% chance of rupture of the pf with steriod injections.

john h on 4/30/00 at 09:43 (019638)

dr z: as one who refused steriod injections for 6 years and then finally decided to go and request one and find some immediate relief i would not totally write them off. you are the one that sort of convinced me to try one to see if i might be a candidate for the orbasone. it seems to me if you find relief from a single injection you have sort of narrowed the field of possible causes. I think i can rule out lower back problems now or some other exotic disease. i have read of many cases and i suspect you have had many where a single injection allowed the inflamation of the fascia to subside and the patient to move on to recovery. the tough cases on this board,me included, are surely not typical and i would think i would not adjust my treatment protocol for your everyday PF patient based on our experiences.