Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for high-arched people

Posted by Helene M on 4/28/00 at 13:11 (019558)

This may sound silly but when I look at the soles of my high-arched feet I can see the fascia, which seems very close to the skin. When I pull the toes back, this 'bowstring' becomes even more visible. I wonder if this is 'normal' for a high-arch foot or is it just me? Obviously I don't go around looking at people's feet but I've viewed enough photos of the soles of the feet (latest one being Dr. Roth's website)to know that those soles don't look like mine because the skin is loose & there is no visible fascia. Hope you don't all think I'm nuts but I've thought about this for a while & wondered if that's why I have such chronic PF for so long. I've noticed the tendons in my wrists & palms are also prominent & very prone to tendonitis. Do you other high-arched people have similar-looking soles of the feet?

Re: Question for high-arched people

KarenK on 4/28/00 at 13:48 (019561)

Yes!!!When I pull my toes back it looks like I have a plastic strip right under the skin! If you're nuts, we both are. I have asked to see the bottom of the feet of people with 'normal' feet and they don't have this. Hope this makes you feel better. I am also prone to get tendonitis, I have also had carpal tunnel release and rotator cuff surgery. No more cutting for me, they'd have to catch me first. With my foot,knee hip problems that probably wouldn't be too difficult.
ps I wear Birks exclusively.

Re: Question for high-arched peopleRe

Laurie R on 4/28/00 at 14:15 (019563)

HiHelene,
How funny you posted this today,I went to see my Podiatrist yesterday and before he put the cast on my leg he was showing me my fascia just like what you are asking here.Yes it is so normal when he pulled my toes back you could see my fascia.I also have very high arch's so you are not crazy.I hope this will help you.You are ok.My best to you.Laurie R

ChrisO on 4/28/00 at 14:30 (019565)

Yep - mine are exactly like that.....

Re: Glad I'm not crazy after all!

Helene M on 4/28/00 at 14:35 (019567)

Thanks to both of you for your assurance. At least I'm not alone. Of all the feet I've looked at in my lifetime, which is not many, the fascia was invisible even when the person pulled their foot back. Maybe that's why we high-arched people have so much trouble with our arches. At least I do. My arches no longer seem to tolerate any pressure at all, otherwise I get PF with visible inflammation. Apparently this is abnormal and unheard of, according to the surprised looks I've gotten from the drs. Needless to say, my lack of arch support puts tremendous pressure on my heels and ball of foot, causing additional problems. When I walk without arch support I think I put undue strain on the fascia, which causes PF anyway. Kind of a 'catch 22' situation. Well, I'm just venting here & trying not to give up.

cindyp on 4/28/00 at 14:41 (019568)

Well speaking from a position of no discernible arch mine are the same. I have to walk on balls of feet and toes. Even when I do that I still have had visible swelling (sorta depends on how much I have been walking). Sometimes swelling much more visible on somedays than others. But been that way forever so no you aren't alone.

ChrisO on 4/28/00 at 14:50 (019570)

Helene - I can't thank you enough for your description! Whenever I tried to convince my Pod that my arch hates ANY pressure, he just didn't get it! I agree completely with your 'catch-22' analysis.
so maybe we're 'not crazy' together!

Helene M on 4/29/00 at 07:00 (019596)

Well, Chris, it doesn't seem too many have our specific situation, but if you ever find something that works for you, please share it with us. I've had this for 9 years on & off, probably the longest of anyone on this board. I think that's long enough! Cindy, I think you may be the second longest & I know what you're going through! Hang in there.

Susan S on 4/30/00 at 07:10 (019626)

I have a very small arch too. Sorry to blow your high arch theory but my fascia is clearly visable as well.

Ms.Fitz on 4/30/00 at 10:56 (019641)

Yes! Not only do I have high arches with the ligament showing when I curl up my toes (does that make us unique?), but my feet are very narrow, the heels especially. I've also noticed recently that I need longer shoes to feel comfortable......I didn't think feet still grew. There must be a connection to all we've discussed and chronic pf.

Helene M on 4/30/00 at 12:07 (019646)

Hmmm...perhaps that means that people with visible fascia, due to thin or tight skin or tight fascia, are prone to PF? Mine was visible my whole life, even before I got PF.

suzie on 5/01/00 at 23:58 (019756)

Same here, high arch, narrow heels, longer shoe.

KarenK on 4/28/00 at 13:48 (019561)

Yes!!!When I pull my toes back it looks like I have a plastic strip right under the skin! If you're nuts, we both are. I have asked to see the bottom of the feet of people with 'normal' feet and they don't have this. Hope this makes you feel better. I am also prone to get tendonitis, I have also had carpal tunnel release and rotator cuff surgery. No more cutting for me, they'd have to catch me first. With my foot,knee hip problems that probably wouldn't be too difficult.
ps I wear Birks exclusively.

Re: Question for high-arched peopleRe

Laurie R on 4/28/00 at 14:15 (019563)

HiHelene,
How funny you posted this today,I went to see my Podiatrist yesterday and before he put the cast on my leg he was showing me my fascia just like what you are asking here.Yes it is so normal when he pulled my toes back you could see my fascia.I also have very high arch's so you are not crazy.I hope this will help you.You are ok.My best to you.Laurie R

ChrisO on 4/28/00 at 14:30 (019565)

Yep - mine are exactly like that.....

Helene M on 4/28/00 at 14:35 (019567)

Thanks to both of you for your assurance. At least I'm not alone. Of all the feet I've looked at in my lifetime, which is not many, the fascia was invisible even when the person pulled their foot back. Maybe that's why we high-arched people have so much trouble with our arches. At least I do. My arches no longer seem to tolerate any pressure at all, otherwise I get PF with visible inflammation. Apparently this is abnormal and unheard of, according to the surprised looks I've gotten from the drs. Needless to say, my lack of arch support puts tremendous pressure on my heels and ball of foot, causing additional problems. When I walk without arch support I think I put undue strain on the fascia, which causes PF anyway. Kind of a 'catch 22' situation. Well, I'm just venting here & trying not to give up.

cindyp on 4/28/00 at 14:41 (019568)

Well speaking from a position of no discernible arch mine are the same. I have to walk on balls of feet and toes. Even when I do that I still have had visible swelling (sorta depends on how much I have been walking). Sometimes swelling much more visible on somedays than others. But been that way forever so no you aren't alone.

ChrisO on 4/28/00 at 14:50 (019570)

Helene - I can't thank you enough for your description! Whenever I tried to convince my Pod that my arch hates ANY pressure, he just didn't get it! I agree completely with your 'catch-22' analysis.
so maybe we're 'not crazy' together!

Helene M on 4/29/00 at 07:00 (019596)

Well, Chris, it doesn't seem too many have our specific situation, but if you ever find something that works for you, please share it with us. I've had this for 9 years on & off, probably the longest of anyone on this board. I think that's long enough! Cindy, I think you may be the second longest & I know what you're going through! Hang in there.

Susan S on 4/30/00 at 07:10 (019626)

I have a very small arch too. Sorry to blow your high arch theory but my fascia is clearly visable as well.

Ms.Fitz on 4/30/00 at 10:56 (019641)

Yes! Not only do I have high arches with the ligament showing when I curl up my toes (does that make us unique?), but my feet are very narrow, the heels especially. I've also noticed recently that I need longer shoes to feel comfortable......I didn't think feet still grew. There must be a connection to all we've discussed and chronic pf.

Helene M on 4/30/00 at 12:07 (019646)

Hmmm...perhaps that means that people with visible fascia, due to thin or tight skin or tight fascia, are prone to PF? Mine was visible my whole life, even before I got PF.

suzie on 5/01/00 at 23:58 (019756)

Same here, high arch, narrow heels, longer shoe.