Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotic website

Posted by Barbara on 4/28/00 at 21:15 (019587)

I just found a web site http://www.archandheel.com that sells many types of orthotics. They even sell the BioSole-GEL orthotics that someone else mentioned on this board a few days ago. Think I might try them.

Re: Orthotic website -- cost of BioSoles

Nancy S. on 4/28/00 at 23:20 (019592)

Hi Barbara, I'm the BioSoles guinea pig, and after 3 days still feel I can recommend them. That's an interesting web site. I noticed though that the BioSoles are $39.95 on there, and I bought them in a medical supply store for $24.95. Seems like they'd be more expensive in a store rather than less, so I don't get that. I got the 'thin-line' type, by the way -- for 'women's casual shoes' according to the web site, and they fit perfectly in my hiking boots. I hope you have good luck with them if you try them. --Nancy S.

Re: Orthotic website

john h on 4/29/00 at 08:21 (019599)

another excellent website for foot orthotics is http://www.langerbiomechanics.com/

they make prescription orthotics and are one of the larger makers of prescription orthotics for the medical field.

john h on 4/29/00 at 18:45 (019612)

i have had doctors recommend and i have bought custom rigid,simi-rigid and soft orthotics all for the same condition -PF. there are various opinions on the board about what kind of othotics work best. with that in mind i emailed several orthothic labs to get some input. my first response from Ortho-Dynamics Orthotic Laboratory is a follows:

'If you are interested in taking a conservative treatment approach to plantar fasciaitis, we would recommend our Heel-Lite pre-moulded orthotics. Plantar fasciaitis is normally due to biomechanical prolem such as excessive pronation (flat feet). Excessive pronation causes the plantar fascia to be stretched and inflamed. To prevent the plantar fascia from stretching, it is important that you use a semi-rigid to rigid orthotic arch support. Our Heel-Lite is specifically designed to address this condition. It is fabricated with a 4.0 mm shell that provides semi-rigid arch support (fascia support), promoting better foot alignment. This helps keep the feet in a neutral position, allowing for normal pronation (inward motion). A special cut-out in the shell provides added heel cushioning. The shell is covered (full length) provided with a cellular cushioning system and a felt top surface>'

I will post other answer if i receive them. http://www.ortho-dynamics.com/

Nancy S. on 4/29/00 at 22:42 (019619)

John, I looked at the site, and the orthotics look and sound a lot like the BioSoles, except I wonder exactly what semi-rigid means. Do you know? The BioSoles aren't flimsy like ones I've gotten at drugstores, but they aren't rigid either. This is all quite confusing. I have yet to find a footwear person who thinks the hard plastic orthotics are a good thing -- in fact they think they're harmful. I'd still be open to trying something on top of them to soften the feeling of walking on bricks, but things like BioSoles wouldn't be good for that -- they would stack too high, since they have their own heel and arch support. Arghghgh.
--Nancy

john h on 4/30/00 at 18:30 (019664)

nancy: i have a couple of pair of semi rigid orthotics. you have probably seen some graphite orthotics which have some flexability and still offer more support than ones just made with various forms of rubber. orthotics is reallly a tough subject. it is my opinion that if your pf was brought on by some biomechanical foot problem such as over pronation then a proper orthotic and shoe selection is probably required for the long term. if your PF was brought on (such as mine i think) by prolonged running up hills then i need an orthotic to allow my arch to not flex as much and allow my fascia to heel and not repeatedly reinjure myself every time i take a step. there are probably very few people qualified to analyize your gait to see if you are overpronating or doing something else odd with your feet. recently i have watched closely at my health club as people walk and run in front of me. it is abolutely amazing to see how far inward some peoples feet roll . i would think some of them should have severe ankle problems. biomechanics of the feet ranks up there with rocket science in my opinion. after much reading i have decided there is no final answer to this problem.

Re: Orthotics

Nancy S. on 4/30/00 at 19:35 (019672)

Hi John, yes, orthotics IS a tough subject. I don't know what to make of them anymore -- every single pair, custom or not, seems eventually to hurt in some different spot(s). I wore the BioSoles while on my feet for quite a long time today (with frequent sit-down breaks), and they still feel better than others -- but not perfect.
I'm very happy you are having good days lately!
I don't think I've ever been an overpronater. However, as I was trying out the BioSoles, I asked the guy 'Am I limping?' because I can't tell anymore. He said, 'No, but you do look a little bow-legged.' Welllllll! I never was that either before PF -- I figure it must be from trying to avoid The Spot on the inner heel. I'll have to wear longer dresses, if I care enough.
My PF resulted from 5 years of increased activity -- the antiquing work, which had me on my feet every day of the week and often for very long hours -- and of course NOW I know that I was wearing lousy rotten no-good shoes. And last spring I went from those shoes to even worse boots, with totally flat soles and no support, my feet swam in them. Really bad. That switch brought on full-blown PF in my left foot within about two days.
I change my mind about three times a day on how much arch support I need. It's a mystery, and if I ever solve it, I'll let you all know.
Hope your less-pain days continue forever. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 4/28/00 at 23:20 (019592)

Hi Barbara, I'm the BioSoles guinea pig, and after 3 days still feel I can recommend them. That's an interesting web site. I noticed though that the BioSoles are $39.95 on there, and I bought them in a medical supply store for $24.95. Seems like they'd be more expensive in a store rather than less, so I don't get that. I got the 'thin-line' type, by the way -- for 'women's casual shoes' according to the web site, and they fit perfectly in my hiking boots. I hope you have good luck with them if you try them. --Nancy S.

Re: Orthotic website

john h on 4/29/00 at 08:21 (019599)

another excellent website for foot orthotics is http://www.langerbiomechanics.com/

they make prescription orthotics and are one of the larger makers of prescription orthotics for the medical field.

john h on 4/29/00 at 18:45 (019612)

i have had doctors recommend and i have bought custom rigid,simi-rigid and soft orthotics all for the same condition -PF. there are various opinions on the board about what kind of othotics work best. with that in mind i emailed several orthothic labs to get some input. my first response from Ortho-Dynamics Orthotic Laboratory is a follows:

'If you are interested in taking a conservative treatment approach to plantar fasciaitis, we would recommend our Heel-Lite pre-moulded orthotics. Plantar fasciaitis is normally due to biomechanical prolem such as excessive pronation (flat feet). Excessive pronation causes the plantar fascia to be stretched and inflamed. To prevent the plantar fascia from stretching, it is important that you use a semi-rigid to rigid orthotic arch support. Our Heel-Lite is specifically designed to address this condition. It is fabricated with a 4.0 mm shell that provides semi-rigid arch support (fascia support), promoting better foot alignment. This helps keep the feet in a neutral position, allowing for normal pronation (inward motion). A special cut-out in the shell provides added heel cushioning. The shell is covered (full length) provided with a cellular cushioning system and a felt top surface>'

I will post other answer if i receive them. http://www.ortho-dynamics.com/

Nancy S. on 4/29/00 at 22:42 (019619)

John, I looked at the site, and the orthotics look and sound a lot like the BioSoles, except I wonder exactly what semi-rigid means. Do you know? The BioSoles aren't flimsy like ones I've gotten at drugstores, but they aren't rigid either. This is all quite confusing. I have yet to find a footwear person who thinks the hard plastic orthotics are a good thing -- in fact they think they're harmful. I'd still be open to trying something on top of them to soften the feeling of walking on bricks, but things like BioSoles wouldn't be good for that -- they would stack too high, since they have their own heel and arch support. Arghghgh.
--Nancy

john h on 4/30/00 at 18:30 (019664)

nancy: i have a couple of pair of semi rigid orthotics. you have probably seen some graphite orthotics which have some flexability and still offer more support than ones just made with various forms of rubber. orthotics is reallly a tough subject. it is my opinion that if your pf was brought on by some biomechanical foot problem such as over pronation then a proper orthotic and shoe selection is probably required for the long term. if your PF was brought on (such as mine i think) by prolonged running up hills then i need an orthotic to allow my arch to not flex as much and allow my fascia to heel and not repeatedly reinjure myself every time i take a step. there are probably very few people qualified to analyize your gait to see if you are overpronating or doing something else odd with your feet. recently i have watched closely at my health club as people walk and run in front of me. it is abolutely amazing to see how far inward some peoples feet roll . i would think some of them should have severe ankle problems. biomechanics of the feet ranks up there with rocket science in my opinion. after much reading i have decided there is no final answer to this problem.

Re: Orthotics

Nancy S. on 4/30/00 at 19:35 (019672)

Hi John, yes, orthotics IS a tough subject. I don't know what to make of them anymore -- every single pair, custom or not, seems eventually to hurt in some different spot(s). I wore the BioSoles while on my feet for quite a long time today (with frequent sit-down breaks), and they still feel better than others -- but not perfect.
I'm very happy you are having good days lately!
I don't think I've ever been an overpronater. However, as I was trying out the BioSoles, I asked the guy 'Am I limping?' because I can't tell anymore. He said, 'No, but you do look a little bow-legged.' Welllllll! I never was that either before PF -- I figure it must be from trying to avoid The Spot on the inner heel. I'll have to wear longer dresses, if I care enough.
My PF resulted from 5 years of increased activity -- the antiquing work, which had me on my feet every day of the week and often for very long hours -- and of course NOW I know that I was wearing lousy rotten no-good shoes. And last spring I went from those shoes to even worse boots, with totally flat soles and no support, my feet swam in them. Really bad. That switch brought on full-blown PF in my left foot within about two days.
I change my mind about three times a day on how much arch support I need. It's a mystery, and if I ever solve it, I'll let you all know.
Hope your less-pain days continue forever. --Nancy