Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt- high or low

Posted by iris on 4/30/00 at 07:33 (019627)

dear scott and others who have had eswt,
i have had pf for over a year now. being a teacher, it has been extremely difficult this past year. i am going to try arch release therapy this tuesday. if there is no improvement, my plan is to have eswt this summer. i am confused as to which type to do, high or low energy. i have been reading the various posting and am confused and concerned about the treatment. scott, i have been reading your postings since your treatment. please give me and others an update of your condition. the updated statements of others appear to be rather disappointing.
thank you very much,
iris523
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Re: eswt- high or low

Scott R on 4/30/00 at 09:05 (019632)

This past week I was travelling and on my feet on concrete floors for most of the day for 3 days. To play it safe, I used tape.

Overall my progression since the OssaTron is 'good'. I'll call it 'excellent' if I'm able to take up jogging. I can at least bicycle as much as I like and do stretching without harming my heel.

I would not place my confidence on what is read here. It's too few people to be statistically significant. Also, Dr. Gordon did not get to clearly judge how effective the treatment would be for us because he did not have time to completely evaluate our conditions. If he had had the opportunity to choose those who would benefit the most from the procedure, he would not have chosen us. Most of us were not typical PF sufferers. For all the previously treated people from this board (about 6?) who paid for their own treatment, I believe Dr. Gordon and Dr. Galea's success rate is 100%. You don't hear from them anymore because they no longer need to come to the website. Talk to the doctors and let them decide if you will benefit. Dr. Gordon does not over-estimate your chance of success. He gave most of us a bleak chance of success. He does not build false hopes.

This board is an interesting situation: There are 4 different people wanting visitors to come use their machine. Ordinarily, you would expect the average doctor to treat as many people as possible since it is very profitable and safe for the patient. The worse that can happen is that the doctor would make money and the patient not be helped. However, since they know patients will come back here and post, there is an incentive to not treat anyone who they do not think will be helped. They want 100% success to be reported here in order to increase business. So, this board may help prevent unnecessary treatments.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: OssaTron

linda on 4/30/00 at 10:09 (019640)

I agree with scott. If there is anyone out there who has had great results with the eswt please post to the board and give us some hope that these treatments do help most of the time.

We really need to hear from some people that have had some relief from these treatments. Alot of us would really like to take these treatments but are feeling rather down when we hear of all the problems that are appearing. So please anyone out there that has had good results post to this board and tell us.

Thanks Linda

Re: statistical significance

GinaC on 4/30/00 at 12:01 (019645)

It seems to me that the 6 or so people who paid for their treatment and improved are no more statistically significant than the 6 people treated in the 'Ossatron gang', regardless of their outcomes. Both sets of numbers are simply too small. Also, Mohez was not helped by one treatment, and though he was treated for free, I assume he was adequately evaluated since he is in Toronto. I may be wrong about this, but I also believe there were one or two others who had ESWT on their own who did not improve very much following treatment. I think the only statistically significant results will come from the FDA studies with larger samples and controls for initial screening and confounding variables post-treatment.

Martha B. on 4/30/00 at 13:54 (019651)

Fortunately,I am one of the good stats on the ossatron! I have continued to report that I have improved dramatically since the Sept. treatment. Jennh is doing fine also and playing rugby again. Mohez has not been as fortunate-you are correct when you said he had all sorts of testing prior to the ossatron.I haven't heard much from him since the 2nd treatment. Previously he had the Dornier done and that didnt help him at all.
My Story
Bi-lateral Pf 18 months prior to ossatron,tried 7 PAINFUL cortisone injections,acupuncture, chiro,orthotics,electrical impulse gadget,massage/reflexology,4 different antiinflams(vioxx helped), ibuprofen cream and anything else I heard about. I seemed like many of you who went 1 step forward and 2 steps back. My doctor didn't want surgery and neither did I BUT he didn't have any other suggestions either. Thought I was going to have to quit my job ,which I didn't want to do so when I heard about ossatron we sacrificed the $$$ and time to go. It really did work for me! I only wish that it would for some of the others. Your time is not up yet so DON'T give up!
I may not post much but I truly have not forgotten about you guys!! I still read the posts almost daily. My prayers and thoughts are with you.Take care!

Re: Thanks Gina for your clarity

Helen on 4/30/00 at 19:31 (019669)

Thanks Gina for your clarity regarding the statistics and how we really must wait for the FDA results. The confounding variables post treatment is also important - eg: Scott was very careful until recently and seems much improved. I was not careful about walking or activities other than running (Dr. Galea did not advise me to be careful - he said I should walk ALOT). I walked a lot and carried my 22 pound baby.

All the best everyone. BTW, I walked a lot this weekend, and it seems my flare may be starting to ease up again. Who knows?

Helen

Scott R on 4/30/00 at 09:05 (019632)

This past week I was travelling and on my feet on concrete floors for most of the day for 3 days. To play it safe, I used tape.

Overall my progression since the OssaTron is 'good'. I'll call it 'excellent' if I'm able to take up jogging. I can at least bicycle as much as I like and do stretching without harming my heel.

I would not place my confidence on what is read here. It's too few people to be statistically significant. Also, Dr. Gordon did not get to clearly judge how effective the treatment would be for us because he did not have time to completely evaluate our conditions. If he had had the opportunity to choose those who would benefit the most from the procedure, he would not have chosen us. Most of us were not typical PF sufferers. For all the previously treated people from this board (about 6?) who paid for their own treatment, I believe Dr. Gordon and Dr. Galea's success rate is 100%. You don't hear from them anymore because they no longer need to come to the website. Talk to the doctors and let them decide if you will benefit. Dr. Gordon does not over-estimate your chance of success. He gave most of us a bleak chance of success. He does not build false hopes.

This board is an interesting situation: There are 4 different people wanting visitors to come use their machine. Ordinarily, you would expect the average doctor to treat as many people as possible since it is very profitable and safe for the patient. The worse that can happen is that the doctor would make money and the patient not be helped. However, since they know patients will come back here and post, there is an incentive to not treat anyone who they do not think will be helped. They want 100% success to be reported here in order to increase business. So, this board may help prevent unnecessary treatments.

linda on 4/30/00 at 10:09 (019640)

I agree with scott. If there is anyone out there who has had great results with the eswt please post to the board and give us some hope that these treatments do help most of the time.

We really need to hear from some people that have had some relief from these treatments. Alot of us would really like to take these treatments but are feeling rather down when we hear of all the problems that are appearing. So please anyone out there that has had good results post to this board and tell us.

Thanks Linda

Re: statistical significance

GinaC on 4/30/00 at 12:01 (019645)

It seems to me that the 6 or so people who paid for their treatment and improved are no more statistically significant than the 6 people treated in the 'Ossatron gang', regardless of their outcomes. Both sets of numbers are simply too small. Also, Mohez was not helped by one treatment, and though he was treated for free, I assume he was adequately evaluated since he is in Toronto. I may be wrong about this, but I also believe there were one or two others who had ESWT on their own who did not improve very much following treatment. I think the only statistically significant results will come from the FDA studies with larger samples and controls for initial screening and confounding variables post-treatment.

Martha B. on 4/30/00 at 13:54 (019651)

Fortunately,I am one of the good stats on the ossatron! I have continued to report that I have improved dramatically since the Sept. treatment. Jennh is doing fine also and playing rugby again. Mohez has not been as fortunate-you are correct when you said he had all sorts of testing prior to the ossatron.I haven't heard much from him since the 2nd treatment. Previously he had the Dornier done and that didnt help him at all.
My Story
Bi-lateral Pf 18 months prior to ossatron,tried 7 PAINFUL cortisone injections,acupuncture, chiro,orthotics,electrical impulse gadget,massage/reflexology,4 different antiinflams(vioxx helped), ibuprofen cream and anything else I heard about. I seemed like many of you who went 1 step forward and 2 steps back. My doctor didn't want surgery and neither did I BUT he didn't have any other suggestions either. Thought I was going to have to quit my job ,which I didn't want to do so when I heard about ossatron we sacrificed the $$$ and time to go. It really did work for me! I only wish that it would for some of the others. Your time is not up yet so DON'T give up!
I may not post much but I truly have not forgotten about you guys!! I still read the posts almost daily. My prayers and thoughts are with you.Take care!

Re: Thanks Gina for your clarity

Helen on 4/30/00 at 19:31 (019669)

Thanks Gina for your clarity regarding the statistics and how we really must wait for the FDA results. The confounding variables post treatment is also important - eg: Scott was very careful until recently and seems much improved. I was not careful about walking or activities other than running (Dr. Galea did not advise me to be careful - he said I should walk ALOT). I walked a lot and carried my 22 pound baby.

All the best everyone. BTW, I walked a lot this weekend, and it seems my flare may be starting to ease up again. Who knows?

Helen