Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splints - advice please!

Posted by truffle on 4/30/00 at 11:50 (019644)

Hi all, I saw my consultant on Fri (as I live in UK, there is no choice of who you can see) and mentioned the info I'd found from this site. He was extremely negative about finding out info myself! After 31/2 years of this pain, he is keen to perform surgery. He completely wrote off EPF, and said that no-one in the UK would be prepared to perform this type of surgery - it would have to be a long incision or nothing. I mentioned all the conservative treatments I thought it still worth trying, but was met with a fairly hostile response. I almost demanded to try night splints (as if you do it for fun!!), although he thinks they won't help at all, as I can move my foot & ankle quite well. I can only do this as I've been stretching & doing 'foot twirls' - which I read about HERE! These were duly made by moulding a hardening fabric around my foot & lower leg and fixed on with velcro - is this a normal type of splint? They feel quite strange, and I can move my leg & foot a fair amount in them - again, is this normal or should they be rigid? I also mentioned that I've started to ice at night, for 10 minutes, and this seemed to calm things down a little, but was again 'told off' for trying things out myself. I guess the last thing you need when you're in so much pain is such a negative reaction. I feel so frustrated much of the time that nothing seems to help. After 4 shots in EACH heel, I don't know what else will help. Any suggestions/hints on night splints?? thanks, T.

Re: Night Splint price

Russ D on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011838)

You can purchase a night splint from Road Runner Sports 1-800-551-5558 for only $59.99 , anything more is getting gouged !

Re: Night Splints?RE Lucy

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016544)

Hi Lucy,

Night splint is a splint that you ware on your foot ankle when you sleep and it keeps your fascia stretched .I just got one from my podiatrist 10 days ago and I ware it every night and it has not helped me but don't go by what I say because nothing so far has helped me.

Your doctor can give you one or I have seen them on the internet for around 60.00 go to a medical supply. Laurie R

john h on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016553)

laurie: are your night splints in fixed position? many are adjustable. most recommendations i see call for a 5 degree or 10 degree dorsiflexion which will put a slight stretch on the fascia. some are in a neutral position. i was looking at some of the latest models on various web sites today. last night i broke my night splint in half while sleeping. since it is made of hi impact plastic i must have really done something strange.

Re: Night Splints?RE LucyRE John

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016559)

Hi John,
OH no you broke your night splint???????What were you doing? Mine is adjustable but no matter what I do it doesn't help with the morning pain or the nerve pain.See I think what it happening is that my ankle is so tight all night when I get up in the morning to get out of bed it makes it worst. But I will continue to wear it .I have an appointment this week with my podiatrist I will let him know. I have pf and TTS so maybe thats why. John did you get a new one yet?How long have you been wearing yours for? Laurie R

Re: Night Splint = less/no morning pain

Bob G. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016564)

The night splint is not easy to get along with; it wakes me up in the middle of the night more often than not. But it has helped me get out of this pain.
It does not stretch me, but keeps my foot from contracting while asleep; which in turn enables my foot to heal.
I am stretching very gently and wearing the night splint. I am now walking on the beach without pain and looking forward to ballroom dancing soon - thanks to the night splint, among other things. Good luck to all! Don't give up.

I found the night splint off this web site.

Re: Night Splints? -- correction, Mike W

Nancy S. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016578)

Mike W:

The night splint is not intended to 'stretch muscle.' It is intended to prevent the plantar fascia from contracting while at prolonged rest -- such as at night.

Contraction of the fascia during the night is a major contributor to the famous morning pain. Stepping out of bed onto a contracted fascia causes continual re-tearing of the fascia, the source of that morning pain.

The Johnson & Johnson blue night splint, though obviously bigger than the foot, is soft and quite comfortable while holding the foot in a position that for many people significantly decreases that reinjury upon getting up every morning.

Therefore, Personal Foot Trainers are NOT a good alternative to the night splint. PFTs may do other things for some people, but in no way are they a replacement for a night splint. We are reading about PFTs in plenty of other places all over this board -- I don't think it's necessary to interject them where they don't belong -- such as in this thread. Not only is it unnecessary, but it could prevent some people from trying other helpful, sometimes very important, pieces of equipment. The night splint is one of them.

--Nancy S.

Re: Night Splints? -- correction, Mike W -- and postscript

Nancy S. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016581)

By the way, I am not affiliated in any way with Johnson & Johnson, and I do not sell night splints. I simply found that by using the night splint, doing a calf stretch in the air before getting out of bed, and then stepping right into a pair of Birkenstocks brought my morning pain down from a 10 to about a 1. --Nancy S>

Re: Night Splints?Re Stephanie

Laurie R on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016596)

Hi Stephanie,
Thank you so much for your post,that is what is happening to me the splint is to big my ankle is up in the air I will try what you said tonight ,I will put a wash cloth around my foot it makes sence to me.Tell your husband thank you for me.I will try anything for this.Also I think you are so right I need to wear it for a while to see if is working or not some things just take time.

Also Nancy you are so so right.I have heard wonderful things about night splints and they are worth it to try.We just need to give things a fair amount of time.My splint is a small and it is still to big or I am just not adjusting it right .
Thank you again..Laurie PS Nancy how are you feeling?

John h on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016599)

i obtained a night splint recently which i think is the best i have seen and i have looked all over the web at various splints. this one is very short rising to bottom of calf. it is well padded. it has a removeable ice pack on the inside bottom of the foot which can be placed in the frig. it is recommened that the ice pack be left in for a max of 20 minutes. the stretch is controlled by two velcro straps attaching on each side of the splint at the top and extending to loops on either side of the front of the splint. very light weight and folds up neatly for travel. there is also a removable wedge that slides in under the front extending down to the middle of the foot. no where does your foot touch plastic without very good padding. straps hold your foot firmly in place. i do not even know it is on when i sleep. it is not recommended that you walk in it. i am personally a firm believer in night splints if worn properly. the big long blue plastic ones which i at one time used suck! your foot is not held in and they are uncomfortable to sleep in. if anyone wants the name of my splint let me know.

Mike W on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016606)

Hello John,

I am glad that you have something that helps with the symptoms and is comfortable but you unfortunately still suffer from PF, so why are they so great? The problem with night splints no matter what brand, is that they do not address the underlying cause of PF, they concentrate on the symptoms. Treating the symptoms is not an effective approach to eliminating PF.

Regarding icing, there are many doctors that do not recommend icing one spot for more than 10 minutes. They say that icing longer than 10 minutes actually promotes inflammation.

I hope that your splints help.

Regards,
Mike W

Nancy S. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016611)

Once one has plantar fasciitis, anything that prevents daily re-tearing and reinjury of the fascia seems to me to be accomplishing more than merely treating symptoms.

Re: Night Splints? -- Nancy and Mike

Nicole V.R. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016618)

Nancy,
I have found everything you have written in response to Mike W. to be true and I just wanted to say 'Here,Here!' to you.

Mike W.,
I'm sure you have a very nice product to sell but like everyone has been trying to tell you, no one thing is the 'cure all' for every one. Otherwise we would all be cured and for only $30 !!!! Sounds great!!! I too, have noticed that you dispute any other form of treatment for the sake of selling your product, not to mention having people (who haven't previously posted on this board)boast your product to the rest of us (I don't think these posters have returned to this board either). Also, typing the same information over and over again doesn't appeal to a lot of people. If I wanted it by now I would have bought it!!!!!
Sorry if I sound irritated, I've had a hard day back at work.

Re: Night Splints

Bob G. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016629)

Ha ha ha! Yes, I have felt like breaking my night splint many times, but now that I am walking around without pain I am thanking my night splint. Thank you, night splint :)

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016634)

Thank you, Nicole. One of the great things about this board is that it makes it easy to discuss various treatments back and forth, to challenge, and to learn. I don't think you sound irritable -- just honest. I'm watching your post-ESWT reports and hoping for a full recovery for you. --Nancy

Re: Night Splints?Re Stephanie -- to Laurie

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016636)

Hi Laurie, thanks for asking -- I'm doing quite well again and find that the twist/stretch setback is now history. For the past two months, here is what has helped me: plenty of rest, mild stretching and strengthening, swimming three times a week, the yeast-killing diet which has me eating only 'real' food (a new concept in my life!), the night splint, never going barefoot, and last but not least, usually wearing Birkenstocks, sometimes alternating with my custom orthotics in good shoes with good support.
Laurie, you might want to check out the night splint that John H uses, at http://www.brownmed.com . It looks good. I hope you can enjoy today. --Nancy

john a on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016643)

Ok, call me difficult, but I still don't quite understand this retearing of the PF idea. If keeping the PF under some tension overnight prevents it from healing in a slightly contracted state, does the PF actually do any healing at all when it is under tension?
Hmmm. I suppose the answer must be yes, and what must be happening is that the tension keeps the torn PF fiber ends apart so that they try to repair by 'filling in the gap' as it were, and thereby slightly increasing the overall length of the PF. Ok, I think I just answered my own question. I feel better now :-)

Re: Night Splints?Re Stephanie -- to LaurieRE Nancy S

Laurie R on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016660)

Hello Nancy,

Thank you very much!!!!!I hope you also have a wonderful day.I am going to PT I always feel better after my deep tissue massage.Laurie R

MIke W on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016666)

Hello Nicole,

As I have stated earlier I am sorry that I have been over enthusiastic and will let results speak.

We all have different contributing factors and we are all different in many ways. However the underlying biomechanical cause of PF is the same for everyone. I have never stated PFT's are the cure all for everyone just that they are effective because they are the only product that addresses the underlying cause.

I am sorry that you have not found a solution to your PF and that because you are mad at me, you are not open to something that gets results.

Regards,
Mike W

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016670)

With all due respect, Nicole IS open to something that gets results. She just went through ESWT, which has gotten results for many people (check with Martha B., for example). If your apologies to other people on the board today are sincere -- I hope they are -- I don't understand why, in your last paragraph to Nicole, you are still insinuating that your product is the only product that produces results. I tend to be trusting of people and assume that their intentions are good, but who is it that isn't being 'open' here? I think you need to be patient and realistic, Mike. Some people on the board are never going to order your product, because they have found other things that work for them. Others are apparently ordering your product as I write. Others who aren't interested right now may become interested in the future -- if you don't blast every other product that isn't yours, if you don't overpost about it, and if you don't insult people who aren't buying from you at the moment. I have thought that people here were remarkably open to your posts at first. Who has underminded you 'from the first,' as you posted earlier today? It is clear that you consider yourself an expert, and maybe you are in the biomechanics of the foot, but no one knows everything, and as a marketer of one of many products you need to be open and patient when it comes to the challenges that thinking people are going to present you with from time to time. As for the night splint, clearly many of us have found a good night splint to be not only NOT dangerous but critical in treating PF. This should be no threat to you and your product. --Nancy S.

Re: Night Splint price

Russ D on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011838)

You can purchase a night splint from Road Runner Sports 1-800-551-5558 for only $59.99 , anything more is getting gouged !

Re: Night Splint -- john h, please read/ditto that

ChrisO on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018495)

I too looked for that 'Brown' website and got the same results as you, Nancy. Maybe John can clear that up for us.

Re: Night Splint link - Brown Medical - try this.

Kim B. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018497)

Here is what I bookmarked re: the Brown Medical's nice stretch night splint. Looks good to me.

http://www.brownmed.com/products/Steady%20Step/n'ice%20stretch/index.htm

john h on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018500)

i think kim b got the correct URL for Brown Medical. i was at the office when i posted and did not have the correct URL. the URL on my instruction sheet is 'www.brownmed.com'. the name of the night splint is 'N'ice Stretch'. It is a winner.

Nancy S. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018513)

This appears to be the right link all right. For some reason right now you can't gain entry to the night splints to see them -- can view everything else that we're not interested in, though! I emailed them about this and will post if I can get through or get an answer. --Nancy

john h on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018536)

nancy: i can bring up the night splint every time. make sure you are hitting the buttons on the left side of the page.

john a on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018554)

The Netscape browser can not handle links with single quotes in them. Try Internet Explorer instead, if you use Netscape.

Re: Night Splints - advice please!

Bob G. on 4/30/00 at 13:55 (019652)

Hi, Truffle! Glad you found this site.

I'd probably still be in pain if it were not for Rest and Nightsplint. You are smarter than your doctor; he's not doing the research.

If you can make a Nightsplint that keeps your foot at about 90 degrees while sleeping (try wearing the Strassburg Sock at the same time for needed comfort - just a little tension is all - has worked wonders for me). The Nightsplint keeps the foot from reinjuring itself (indirectly) while sleeping. Please don't let Dr. Duh! cut you!

Good luck, Truffle! Trust yourself above all others.

Melody on 4/30/00 at 14:19 (019653)

Truffle,

I am also in the Uk...do not take that time of ******* from your consultant. I haven't seen one about my foot but have dealt with one cos of my hand and met with the same sort of response that you got. It's not good enough and you do not haev to put up with it.

If you are very unhappy then ask your GP to refer you to someone else. If you can afford it go and see some one privately and just get their opinion. You do not have to follow thier advice and have them treat you. You could see some one privately and then have NHS treatment. I paid 80 for a 45 minute consultation about my hand and was told that he would treat me as an NHS patient if I wanted him to. It would just mean going on the waiting list.

As for the splint. If it doesn't seem to be doing the job properly then phone the aftercare department (physio??) and ask their advice. You don't even need to go through your consultant to do this. They should be able to change it if it needs that. Otherwise boiling hot water can do it! I had one for my wrist that I used a facial steamer to change!!*S* BTW - make sure you are not wearing it when you imerse it in the boiling water!!!

Good luck!

Mel

PS.

Where in the UK are you?

Susan S on 4/30/00 at 17:19 (019658)

I have two splints. They are the hardest thing to get some rest in but they are also the most effective treatment I have found. If you can't sleep in them all night at least try to have them on while you are resting.

You sound like you have some serious concerns with your 'doctor' and with good reason. The one thing I have learned is that you have to be proactive in treating yourself. My husband and I were discussing this morning that 95% of the information I have on PF I got on my own. And most of it right here.

Hang in there with your research and keep up the good work!!

john h on 4/30/00 at 18:15 (019662)

minimal invasive PF release surgery requires a very small incision probably no more than 1 or 2 stitches. if you have surgery check around as to how various doctors in your area perform it. Enoscopic surgery is going out of fashion in my area of the country.

fws on 5/01/00 at 08:19 (019695)

Dear Truffle,

The first thing you should do is fire your 'consultant'. I assume he is an orthopedic surgeon since he seems keen on getting right to surgery without any preliminaries. You need a doctor who is first of all a good listener and second of all is open to innovation. That way you'll be happier and much more likely to get better.

Many people complain that night splints are painful and I am sure they are for them. Here is what has worked for me. I purchased via the internet a night splint which you can adjust in 5 degree increments and played with it until it was reasonably comfortably but still stretched my plantar fascia. (I think it is set between 80 and 85 degrees.) At first is was somewhat uncomfortable, but I became accustomed to it after only a few days. Now I sleep well and am pain free when I get up in the morning.

My overall advice is try different approaches until you find something that works for you. I have found from this message board that everyone is different and the best way to proceed is through trial and error.

Best of luck

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016544)

Hi Lucy,

Night splint is a splint that you ware on your foot ankle when you sleep and it keeps your fascia stretched .I just got one from my podiatrist 10 days ago and I ware it every night and it has not helped me but don't go by what I say because nothing so far has helped me.

Your doctor can give you one or I have seen them on the internet for around 60.00 go to a medical supply. Laurie R

john h on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016553)

laurie: are your night splints in fixed position? many are adjustable. most recommendations i see call for a 5 degree or 10 degree dorsiflexion which will put a slight stretch on the fascia. some are in a neutral position. i was looking at some of the latest models on various web sites today. last night i broke my night splint in half while sleeping. since it is made of hi impact plastic i must have really done something strange.

Re: Night Splints?RE LucyRE John

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016559)

Hi John,
OH no you broke your night splint???????What were you doing? Mine is adjustable but no matter what I do it doesn't help with the morning pain or the nerve pain.See I think what it happening is that my ankle is so tight all night when I get up in the morning to get out of bed it makes it worst. But I will continue to wear it .I have an appointment this week with my podiatrist I will let him know. I have pf and TTS so maybe thats why. John did you get a new one yet?How long have you been wearing yours for? Laurie R

Re: Night Splint = less/no morning pain

Bob G. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016564)

The night splint is not easy to get along with; it wakes me up in the middle of the night more often than not. But it has helped me get out of this pain.
It does not stretch me, but keeps my foot from contracting while asleep; which in turn enables my foot to heal.
I am stretching very gently and wearing the night splint. I am now walking on the beach without pain and looking forward to ballroom dancing soon - thanks to the night splint, among other things. Good luck to all! Don't give up.

I found the night splint off this web site.

Nancy S. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016578)

Mike W:

The night splint is not intended to 'stretch muscle.' It is intended to prevent the plantar fascia from contracting while at prolonged rest -- such as at night.

Contraction of the fascia during the night is a major contributor to the famous morning pain. Stepping out of bed onto a contracted fascia causes continual re-tearing of the fascia, the source of that morning pain.

The Johnson & Johnson blue night splint, though obviously bigger than the foot, is soft and quite comfortable while holding the foot in a position that for many people significantly decreases that reinjury upon getting up every morning.

Therefore, Personal Foot Trainers are NOT a good alternative to the night splint. PFTs may do other things for some people, but in no way are they a replacement for a night splint. We are reading about PFTs in plenty of other places all over this board -- I don't think it's necessary to interject them where they don't belong -- such as in this thread. Not only is it unnecessary, but it could prevent some people from trying other helpful, sometimes very important, pieces of equipment. The night splint is one of them.

--Nancy S.

Re: Night Splints? -- correction, Mike W -- and postscript

Nancy S. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016581)

By the way, I am not affiliated in any way with Johnson & Johnson, and I do not sell night splints. I simply found that by using the night splint, doing a calf stretch in the air before getting out of bed, and then stepping right into a pair of Birkenstocks brought my morning pain down from a 10 to about a 1. --Nancy S>

Re: Night Splints?Re Stephanie

Laurie R on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016596)

Hi Stephanie,
Thank you so much for your post,that is what is happening to me the splint is to big my ankle is up in the air I will try what you said tonight ,I will put a wash cloth around my foot it makes sence to me.Tell your husband thank you for me.I will try anything for this.Also I think you are so right I need to wear it for a while to see if is working or not some things just take time.

Also Nancy you are so so right.I have heard wonderful things about night splints and they are worth it to try.We just need to give things a fair amount of time.My splint is a small and it is still to big or I am just not adjusting it right .
Thank you again..Laurie PS Nancy how are you feeling?

John h on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016599)

i obtained a night splint recently which i think is the best i have seen and i have looked all over the web at various splints. this one is very short rising to bottom of calf. it is well padded. it has a removeable ice pack on the inside bottom of the foot which can be placed in the frig. it is recommened that the ice pack be left in for a max of 20 minutes. the stretch is controlled by two velcro straps attaching on each side of the splint at the top and extending to loops on either side of the front of the splint. very light weight and folds up neatly for travel. there is also a removable wedge that slides in under the front extending down to the middle of the foot. no where does your foot touch plastic without very good padding. straps hold your foot firmly in place. i do not even know it is on when i sleep. it is not recommended that you walk in it. i am personally a firm believer in night splints if worn properly. the big long blue plastic ones which i at one time used suck! your foot is not held in and they are uncomfortable to sleep in. if anyone wants the name of my splint let me know.

Mike W on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016606)

Hello John,

I am glad that you have something that helps with the symptoms and is comfortable but you unfortunately still suffer from PF, so why are they so great? The problem with night splints no matter what brand, is that they do not address the underlying cause of PF, they concentrate on the symptoms. Treating the symptoms is not an effective approach to eliminating PF.

Regarding icing, there are many doctors that do not recommend icing one spot for more than 10 minutes. They say that icing longer than 10 minutes actually promotes inflammation.

I hope that your splints help.

Regards,
Mike W

Nancy S. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016611)

Once one has plantar fasciitis, anything that prevents daily re-tearing and reinjury of the fascia seems to me to be accomplishing more than merely treating symptoms.

Nicole V.R. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016618)

Nancy,
I have found everything you have written in response to Mike W. to be true and I just wanted to say 'Here,Here!' to you.

Mike W.,
I'm sure you have a very nice product to sell but like everyone has been trying to tell you, no one thing is the 'cure all' for every one. Otherwise we would all be cured and for only $30 !!!! Sounds great!!! I too, have noticed that you dispute any other form of treatment for the sake of selling your product, not to mention having people (who haven't previously posted on this board)boast your product to the rest of us (I don't think these posters have returned to this board either). Also, typing the same information over and over again doesn't appeal to a lot of people. If I wanted it by now I would have bought it!!!!!
Sorry if I sound irritated, I've had a hard day back at work.

Re: Night Splints

Bob G. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016629)

Ha ha ha! Yes, I have felt like breaking my night splint many times, but now that I am walking around without pain I am thanking my night splint. Thank you, night splint :)

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016634)

Thank you, Nicole. One of the great things about this board is that it makes it easy to discuss various treatments back and forth, to challenge, and to learn. I don't think you sound irritable -- just honest. I'm watching your post-ESWT reports and hoping for a full recovery for you. --Nancy

Re: Night Splints?Re Stephanie -- to Laurie

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016636)

Hi Laurie, thanks for asking -- I'm doing quite well again and find that the twist/stretch setback is now history. For the past two months, here is what has helped me: plenty of rest, mild stretching and strengthening, swimming three times a week, the yeast-killing diet which has me eating only 'real' food (a new concept in my life!), the night splint, never going barefoot, and last but not least, usually wearing Birkenstocks, sometimes alternating with my custom orthotics in good shoes with good support.
Laurie, you might want to check out the night splint that John H uses, at http://www.brownmed.com . It looks good. I hope you can enjoy today. --Nancy

john a on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016643)

Ok, call me difficult, but I still don't quite understand this retearing of the PF idea. If keeping the PF under some tension overnight prevents it from healing in a slightly contracted state, does the PF actually do any healing at all when it is under tension?
Hmmm. I suppose the answer must be yes, and what must be happening is that the tension keeps the torn PF fiber ends apart so that they try to repair by 'filling in the gap' as it were, and thereby slightly increasing the overall length of the PF. Ok, I think I just answered my own question. I feel better now :-)

Re: Night Splints?Re Stephanie -- to LaurieRE Nancy S

Laurie R on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016660)

Hello Nancy,

Thank you very much!!!!!I hope you also have a wonderful day.I am going to PT I always feel better after my deep tissue massage.Laurie R

MIke W on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016666)

Hello Nicole,

As I have stated earlier I am sorry that I have been over enthusiastic and will let results speak.

We all have different contributing factors and we are all different in many ways. However the underlying biomechanical cause of PF is the same for everyone. I have never stated PFT's are the cure all for everyone just that they are effective because they are the only product that addresses the underlying cause.

I am sorry that you have not found a solution to your PF and that because you are mad at me, you are not open to something that gets results.

Regards,
Mike W

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016670)

With all due respect, Nicole IS open to something that gets results. She just went through ESWT, which has gotten results for many people (check with Martha B., for example). If your apologies to other people on the board today are sincere -- I hope they are -- I don't understand why, in your last paragraph to Nicole, you are still insinuating that your product is the only product that produces results. I tend to be trusting of people and assume that their intentions are good, but who is it that isn't being 'open' here? I think you need to be patient and realistic, Mike. Some people on the board are never going to order your product, because they have found other things that work for them. Others are apparently ordering your product as I write. Others who aren't interested right now may become interested in the future -- if you don't blast every other product that isn't yours, if you don't overpost about it, and if you don't insult people who aren't buying from you at the moment. I have thought that people here were remarkably open to your posts at first. Who has underminded you 'from the first,' as you posted earlier today? It is clear that you consider yourself an expert, and maybe you are in the biomechanics of the foot, but no one knows everything, and as a marketer of one of many products you need to be open and patient when it comes to the challenges that thinking people are going to present you with from time to time. As for the night splint, clearly many of us have found a good night splint to be not only NOT dangerous but critical in treating PF. This should be no threat to you and your product. --Nancy S.

ChrisO on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018495)

I too looked for that 'Brown' website and got the same results as you, Nancy. Maybe John can clear that up for us.

Kim B. on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018497)

Here is what I bookmarked re: the Brown Medical's nice stretch night splint. Looks good to me.

http://www.brownmed.com/products/Steady%20Step/n'ice%20stretch/index.htm

john h on 4/08/00 at 00:00 (018500)

i think kim b got the correct URL for Brown Medical. i was at the office when i posted and did not have the correct URL. the URL on my instruction sheet is 'www.brownmed.com'. the name of the night splint is 'N'ice Stretch'. It is a winner.

Nancy S. on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018513)

This appears to be the right link all right. For some reason right now you can't gain entry to the night splints to see them -- can view everything else that we're not interested in, though! I emailed them about this and will post if I can get through or get an answer. --Nancy

john h on 4/09/00 at 00:00 (018536)

nancy: i can bring up the night splint every time. make sure you are hitting the buttons on the left side of the page.

john a on 4/10/00 at 00:00 (018554)

The Netscape browser can not handle links with single quotes in them. Try Internet Explorer instead, if you use Netscape.

Bob G. on 4/30/00 at 13:55 (019652)

Hi, Truffle! Glad you found this site.

I'd probably still be in pain if it were not for Rest and Nightsplint. You are smarter than your doctor; he's not doing the research.

If you can make a Nightsplint that keeps your foot at about 90 degrees while sleeping (try wearing the Strassburg Sock at the same time for needed comfort - just a little tension is all - has worked wonders for me). The Nightsplint keeps the foot from reinjuring itself (indirectly) while sleeping. Please don't let Dr. Duh! cut you!

Good luck, Truffle! Trust yourself above all others.

Melody on 4/30/00 at 14:19 (019653)

Truffle,

I am also in the Uk...do not take that time of ******* from your consultant. I haven't seen one about my foot but have dealt with one cos of my hand and met with the same sort of response that you got. It's not good enough and you do not haev to put up with it.

If you are very unhappy then ask your GP to refer you to someone else. If you can afford it go and see some one privately and just get their opinion. You do not have to follow thier advice and have them treat you. You could see some one privately and then have NHS treatment. I paid 80 for a 45 minute consultation about my hand and was told that he would treat me as an NHS patient if I wanted him to. It would just mean going on the waiting list.

As for the splint. If it doesn't seem to be doing the job properly then phone the aftercare department (physio??) and ask their advice. You don't even need to go through your consultant to do this. They should be able to change it if it needs that. Otherwise boiling hot water can do it! I had one for my wrist that I used a facial steamer to change!!*S* BTW - make sure you are not wearing it when you imerse it in the boiling water!!!

Good luck!

Mel

PS.

Where in the UK are you?

Susan S on 4/30/00 at 17:19 (019658)

I have two splints. They are the hardest thing to get some rest in but they are also the most effective treatment I have found. If you can't sleep in them all night at least try to have them on while you are resting.

You sound like you have some serious concerns with your 'doctor' and with good reason. The one thing I have learned is that you have to be proactive in treating yourself. My husband and I were discussing this morning that 95% of the information I have on PF I got on my own. And most of it right here.

Hang in there with your research and keep up the good work!!

john h on 4/30/00 at 18:15 (019662)

minimal invasive PF release surgery requires a very small incision probably no more than 1 or 2 stitches. if you have surgery check around as to how various doctors in your area perform it. Enoscopic surgery is going out of fashion in my area of the country.

fws on 5/01/00 at 08:19 (019695)

Dear Truffle,

The first thing you should do is fire your 'consultant'. I assume he is an orthopedic surgeon since he seems keen on getting right to surgery without any preliminaries. You need a doctor who is first of all a good listener and second of all is open to innovation. That way you'll be happier and much more likely to get better.

Many people complain that night splints are painful and I am sure they are for them. Here is what has worked for me. I purchased via the internet a night splint which you can adjust in 5 degree increments and played with it until it was reasonably comfortably but still stretched my plantar fascia. (I think it is set between 80 and 85 degrees.) At first is was somewhat uncomfortable, but I became accustomed to it after only a few days. Now I sleep well and am pain free when I get up in the morning.

My overall advice is try different approaches until you find something that works for you. I have found from this message board that everyone is different and the best way to proceed is through trial and error.

Best of luck