Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what is it?

Posted by Maria P on 4/30/00 at 12:51 (019648)

I have read a few articles on heel pain and I am not quite sure what I have. Maybe someone can help. My heel has been in horrible pain for a few months now. But it doesn't seem to be the problem of stretching the foot. While I am sitting the pain just shoots in my heel and this is when I have been off of it for a hour. There seems to always be a pain in it. If I walk a lot more on it I pay in pain. It seems to swell somewhat in one spot on the inside of the foot right near the heel. It even appears bruised at times in that swollen area. The heel looks puffier than the other heal. It doesn't seem to get any better after walking around and stretching it. The pain is always there. I fear to go back to the DR. I have had cortisone shots before and they don't seem to help, and they hurt a lot when given. Can you help? Thank you.

Re: what is it?

Bob G. on 4/30/00 at 18:36 (019666)

Maria, you need to rest that foot. Stay off of it for as long as it takes for the pain to go away.

Then you can begin to gently stretch, easy at first.

From what you posted I think the nightsplint will help you get back to little or no pain so that you can begin gently stretching. This is what worked for me.

mss on 4/30/00 at 22:00 (019689)

Your description of pain sounds similar to my experience with pf and tendonitis. I did not work on my soon enough and it kept getting worse until I starting wearing custom made orthotics. They kept it from getting worse, but could not cure it, so I eventually had to try a walking cast which has helped. I hope to get back to orthotics this week. Nothing really worked on my foot and the injections did nothing more than a couple of hours relief. I tried taping,antiinflammatiories, etc. The swelling did not go away until the foot was rested a week or two in the cast. I should have gotten the orthotics sooner. I hope this is useful information for you.

Maria P on 5/01/00 at 21:09 (019745)

Thank you both very much. I am a little wiser, I will check these things out and see if they help. Thank you!

Bob G. on 4/30/00 at 18:36 (019666)

Maria, you need to rest that foot. Stay off of it for as long as it takes for the pain to go away.

Then you can begin to gently stretch, easy at first.

From what you posted I think the nightsplint will help you get back to little or no pain so that you can begin gently stretching. This is what worked for me.

mss on 4/30/00 at 22:00 (019689)

Your description of pain sounds similar to my experience with pf and tendonitis. I did not work on my soon enough and it kept getting worse until I starting wearing custom made orthotics. They kept it from getting worse, but could not cure it, so I eventually had to try a walking cast which has helped. I hope to get back to orthotics this week. Nothing really worked on my foot and the injections did nothing more than a couple of hours relief. I tried taping,antiinflammatiories, etc. The swelling did not go away until the foot was rested a week or two in the cast. I should have gotten the orthotics sooner. I hope this is useful information for you.

Maria P on 5/01/00 at 21:09 (019745)

Thank you both very much. I am a little wiser, I will check these things out and see if they help. Thank you!