Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stupid question - what the heck does a fascia look like?

Posted by wendyn on 4/30/00 at 19:20 (019667)

Some of you have been posting about whether or not you have a high arch and whether or not you can see the fascia. This may be a stupid question - but what am I looking for? I've been looking at the bottoms of my feet and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see? Maybe that's because I can't see it?

Re: Stupid question - what the heck does a fascia look like?

Laurie R on 4/30/00 at 19:35 (019671)

Wendy Wendy Wendy,
You are to funny thanks for making me laugh.I am reading your post and I said to my self this is not our Wendy this must be a new Wendy on the board.Ok First os all their is no such thing as a stupid question lord knows I have asked some pretty far out questions but the way I look at it how can a question be stupid if you don't know the answer. Anyways my Pod just checked my fascia the other day ,hold your foot (sitting down) pull your toes towards you and by your arch you will see a large band that kinda pops out that is your fascia,when my pod showed me mine you could really see it.Post and let me know if this worked and if you can see yours.

PS thanks for the laugh I needed it today because I am going nuts in the house.....Laurie R

wendyn on 4/30/00 at 21:41 (019686)

Hi Laurie...I can see something moving under the skin - but I'm not sure it looks like a big band.

I am glad I gave you a laugh Laurie - hmmmmmm....I wasn't trying to be funny!!!!!!!! Oh well....you have to laugh anyway!

I will check out my family's feet one day when they are feeling cooperative. They are used to me - they think I'm a little nuts too...

Have a nice night Laurie.

john h on 5/01/00 at 09:02 (019700)

if you pull your toes back you had better see the fascia bow out under the skin or you probably have flat feet.

john h on 5/01/00 at 09:13 (019702)

most of our fascia looks red and is all inflamed and is probably 1' thick. it has been stretched way out of proportion from wearing 30 different types of orthotics and has numerous holes in it were needles filled with cortisone have penetrated or pin pricks from accupuncturist. some of it vibrates from repeated pounding of high powered shock waves and on occasion it appears twisted like a rope caused by something caused release thearpy. if your fascia could talk it would screem 'get out of my face and leave me alone!'

alan k on 5/01/00 at 12:46 (019715)

John,

did you have surgery on only one foot? If so, is it any better than the other foot? Did the surgery do anything?

thanks,

alan k

wendyn on 5/01/00 at 14:04 (019719)

Eeeewwww.....

If that's what it looks like, I'm glad I can't see mine.

Gross John.

john h on 5/01/00 at 14:57 (019721)

alan: i had surgery only on one foot although both were equally painful (had TTS,PF Release, and spurs removed from 2nd joint big toe) in aug 99. both feet were about the same until i got the cortisone shot last week in the foot that was not operated on. It is now better than the foot that had surgery. since my surgery i have numerous ups and downs including times i thought i was almost well. i cannot explain why my feet go south on me sometimes other than i do to much. i can say without question the cortisone shot gave immediate relief to the right foot which continues through today (about 70% better). I think i will give the orbasone a go this summer if i meet the doctors protocol for doing the procedure. i would love to run again but realistically i think my running days are over. my goal now is to be able to walk 3-5 miles without pain 4-5 days a week. i am a long way from that. I think what we need is a SPA for people with PF. You just lay around the pool with people waiting on you sipping your favorite beverage while you discuss your pain with your fellow PF sufferers. We would of course have physical/massage thearapist, accupuncturist,etc. the life guard would blow a whistle if he saw you without supportive shoes. physical activitiy of any kind would not be allowed and on your pillow each night there would be a night splint instead of a piece of candy.

alan k on 5/01/00 at 18:16 (019730)

Seems your humor is getting increasingly sophisticated, John.

In fact I have often fantasized about such a place, but too seriously, as in imagining the daily regimen of carbohydrate-less foods, message therapists with armbands putting your body in brutal order, dunkings in hot and cold water, etc. I like your fantasy much better.

alan k

Re: Laughter is the best..............

ChrisO on 5/01/00 at 18:58 (019738)

Oh John you have made my PF day! I'm still giggling.....

john h on 5/02/00 at 10:45 (019766)

alan: i am somewhat serious about a SPA for people with serious PF problems. There are millions of people who come down with this problem and a facility directly aimed at using the best know treatments all in on location might have value. You could have everthing from Orbasone,OssaTron,Physical Thearapist,Poditrist,etc all at one location or at least near such a facility. PF gets very little publicity for all the grief it causes. Scott might put together a package for one of the national morning television stations to try and raise awareness. they frequently do medical specials. this week they covered the dangers of laser eye surgery. i would gladly fly 100 combat missions over north vietnam again if that would get rid of my PF that is how strongly i feel about it.

Re: I needed that!

sherri mc on 5/02/00 at 16:54 (019786)

Hey John,

I needed that laugh. Keep it up.

Laurie R on 4/30/00 at 19:35 (019671)

Wendy Wendy Wendy,
You are to funny thanks for making me laugh.I am reading your post and I said to my self this is not our Wendy this must be a new Wendy on the board.Ok First os all their is no such thing as a stupid question lord knows I have asked some pretty far out questions but the way I look at it how can a question be stupid if you don't know the answer. Anyways my Pod just checked my fascia the other day ,hold your foot (sitting down) pull your toes towards you and by your arch you will see a large band that kinda pops out that is your fascia,when my pod showed me mine you could really see it.Post and let me know if this worked and if you can see yours.

PS thanks for the laugh I needed it today because I am going nuts in the house.....Laurie R

wendyn on 4/30/00 at 21:41 (019686)

Hi Laurie...I can see something moving under the skin - but I'm not sure it looks like a big band.

I am glad I gave you a laugh Laurie - hmmmmmm....I wasn't trying to be funny!!!!!!!! Oh well....you have to laugh anyway!

I will check out my family's feet one day when they are feeling cooperative. They are used to me - they think I'm a little nuts too...

Have a nice night Laurie.

john h on 5/01/00 at 09:02 (019700)

if you pull your toes back you had better see the fascia bow out under the skin or you probably have flat feet.

john h on 5/01/00 at 09:13 (019702)

most of our fascia looks red and is all inflamed and is probably 1' thick. it has been stretched way out of proportion from wearing 30 different types of orthotics and has numerous holes in it were needles filled with cortisone have penetrated or pin pricks from accupuncturist. some of it vibrates from repeated pounding of high powered shock waves and on occasion it appears twisted like a rope caused by something caused release thearpy. if your fascia could talk it would screem 'get out of my face and leave me alone!'

alan k on 5/01/00 at 12:46 (019715)

John,

did you have surgery on only one foot? If so, is it any better than the other foot? Did the surgery do anything?

thanks,

alan k

wendyn on 5/01/00 at 14:04 (019719)

Eeeewwww.....

If that's what it looks like, I'm glad I can't see mine.

Gross John.

john h on 5/01/00 at 14:57 (019721)

alan: i had surgery only on one foot although both were equally painful (had TTS,PF Release, and spurs removed from 2nd joint big toe) in aug 99. both feet were about the same until i got the cortisone shot last week in the foot that was not operated on. It is now better than the foot that had surgery. since my surgery i have numerous ups and downs including times i thought i was almost well. i cannot explain why my feet go south on me sometimes other than i do to much. i can say without question the cortisone shot gave immediate relief to the right foot which continues through today (about 70% better). I think i will give the orbasone a go this summer if i meet the doctors protocol for doing the procedure. i would love to run again but realistically i think my running days are over. my goal now is to be able to walk 3-5 miles without pain 4-5 days a week. i am a long way from that. I think what we need is a SPA for people with PF. You just lay around the pool with people waiting on you sipping your favorite beverage while you discuss your pain with your fellow PF sufferers. We would of course have physical/massage thearapist, accupuncturist,etc. the life guard would blow a whistle if he saw you without supportive shoes. physical activitiy of any kind would not be allowed and on your pillow each night there would be a night splint instead of a piece of candy.

alan k on 5/01/00 at 18:16 (019730)

Seems your humor is getting increasingly sophisticated, John.

In fact I have often fantasized about such a place, but too seriously, as in imagining the daily regimen of carbohydrate-less foods, message therapists with armbands putting your body in brutal order, dunkings in hot and cold water, etc. I like your fantasy much better.

alan k

Re: Laughter is the best..............

ChrisO on 5/01/00 at 18:58 (019738)

Oh John you have made my PF day! I'm still giggling.....

john h on 5/02/00 at 10:45 (019766)

alan: i am somewhat serious about a SPA for people with serious PF problems. There are millions of people who come down with this problem and a facility directly aimed at using the best know treatments all in on location might have value. You could have everthing from Orbasone,OssaTron,Physical Thearapist,Poditrist,etc all at one location or at least near such a facility. PF gets very little publicity for all the grief it causes. Scott might put together a package for one of the national morning television stations to try and raise awareness. they frequently do medical specials. this week they covered the dangers of laser eye surgery. i would gladly fly 100 combat missions over north vietnam again if that would get rid of my PF that is how strongly i feel about it.

Re: I needed that!

sherri mc on 5/02/00 at 16:54 (019786)

Hey John,

I needed that laugh. Keep it up.