Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Chris O. re: orthotics, misalignment, you name it

Posted by Nancy S. on 4/30/00 at 21:21 (019684)

Hi there, Chris. It really is hard to know where to draw the line, isn't it? Or how much time to give orthotics. Generally I believe in giving something new a good amount of time (don't ask what I think is 'good'), but if your arches were screaming, that doesn't bode well in my opinion.
As I posted to John, I wore the BioSoles in my hiking boots today for some extra amount of time on my feet, and though I still think they're the best orthotics I've tried so far, I did end up with aching heels and arches. Usually if this happens I get right into my Birks when I get home. But today I tried what I threatened to try a couple of days ago -- I took the orthotics out of my shoes and have been walking around the house all evening in these good hiking things (honestly, I don't know if they're boots or shoes or what) with no orthotics or inserts. And guess what? Of course, my feet feel really good tonight! I'm not going to suggest this as the big cure, after one simple night, but to tell you the truth it's kind of amazing me. I bought these boots early last fall and never wore them without something in them, since I had just gotten my custom orthotics at the time. It never occurred to me.
What does all this mean? Darned if I know. I have to wonder if orthotics and inserts semi-fix one problem and cause others. After all, they do make a person walk differently from pre-PF, and in the last month or so I've been feeling that my Pf foot has become destabilized from walking all these different ways, trying to avoid PF pain -- and maybe trying to avoid pain caused by these oddball varieties of things I keep sticking in my shoes.
I'll let you know what happens without any orthotic, because I have to be on my feet some tomorrow and I plan to try this non-orthotic route. Blasphemy.
In the meantime, I do hope your arches calm down. --Nancy

Re: To Chris O. re: orthotics, misalignment, you name it

john h on 5/01/00 at 08:59 (019699)

i am beginging to think orthortics were invented by some sort of witch doctor.

Re: To Chris O. re: orthotics, misalignment, you name it

john h on 5/01/00 at 08:59 (019699)

i am beginging to think orthortics were invented by some sort of witch doctor.