Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Astrid: re: Sonorex

Posted by Trish on 4/30/00 at 23:55 (019693)

I had the 3 Sonorex treatments, finished about 8 weeks ago, and haven't had any improvement. I was told that there was no point having 2 additional treatments if I hadn't had at least SOME improvement. I am curious as to what you were told; all of the other info. you posted is exactly consistent with my experience except that. I'd hate to make the mistake of not getting 2 more treatments if it would get rid of this for me!!!!! (I've had PF 8 yrs.)
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Re: To Astrid: re: Sonorex

Astrid on 5/01/00 at 17:53 (019728)

Trish, I have been following your postings and I'm sorry it did not work for you. I wish that more people had posted the results of Sonorex, but they either do not know about this site or do not have the time or inclination to contribute.

I am told they have a 70 - 90% success rate with this treatment, which sounds way better than most other things people try. So I figure the odds are in my favour. I was told if no improvement after 6 weeks to get 2 more, but I will ask on Thursday if what you say is true. I talked with a guy who had pf for 10 years (he is not a runner) and when I talked with him it was 1 week after his last treatment. He said improvement at that point was 50%.

What gets me about pf is there is so much diversity - some people have it a few months, some for years; some people are runners, some are not; and the variety of treatments that work for some and not others is mind-boggling! If a person tries a whole bunch of stuff, and something works, how does he/she know what was it that worked?

I took an anti-inflammatory (Ponstan - I had some on hand) for one week and it really helped. On the internet it said you should only take this stuff for one week, not longer. So after I stopped, the pain returned. Why is there no drug that will take it away for good? Is there nothing that could be taken on a longer-term basis that would work? Ibuprofin does not do it for me.

I chose Sonorex as a 'quick fix' because that is what I want. i just hope it works, because I am into it for $600 (Candian $) after my insce. co. pays their part. And I am sick of screwing around with this problem. If I feel this way after 5 months, I can imagine how some sufferers feel after a year or more!

Is your pain worse or the same as before the Sonorex?

Astrid.

Trish on 5/03/00 at 23:01 (019827)

Hard to say if pain is worse or not.....it's definitely changed. I have a new pain in my arch which can be very persistent at times, especially when I am at rest. That is really a big drag! I noticed that within a day or so of the first treatment and when I told the technician she said it was probably referred pain from the shocks (I think that's what she said)and would just be temporary. Well, eight wks. later it's still here. In all of my 8 yrs. of PF I never had pain in my arch. Anyway, the heel pain is perhaps less....but it's hard to say because the other foot is OK right now too (I have PF in both feet) which makes me think I'm just having a little cyclical relief which I get from time to time. So......not sure if I answered your question, but I am very unsure as to whether I would benefit from 2 more treatments; If you learn anything about this tomorrow when you go back please let me know. I certainly wouldn't want to increase that arch pain! Best of luck to you! I hope it works for you!

Astrid Bierworth on 5/04/00 at 13:55 (019853)

I went for my second Sonorex treatment today. I asked the tecnician if you need to have some improvement before going for extra treatments (after 6 weeks or so) and she said no. She said that most people who are helped by this report that the improvement takes place over time, like maybe 10% per week (as reported by one patient). I mentioned that sometimes I get twinges of pain when I am driving (and the sore foot is not my driving foot). She said something is happening in there, which I take it to mean that healing is taking place. She also said it usually takes a few weeks to take effect.

Today's treatment hurt, as usual, but we got up to level 5. The technician said I have a tendency to move away from it, which is without my thinking about it - like a reaction.

Where do you live? How long since your last treatment? I will keep posting until this is over. I know how annoying this pf is and I want to help other people with it if I can, if only by giving information about my experiences.

Astrid.

posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: Sonocur Sonorex

Trish on 5/04/00 at 22:46 (019877)

I live in Edmonton and my last treatment was March 2nd (9 wks. ago).

Astrid on 5/01/00 at 17:53 (019728)

Trish, I have been following your postings and I'm sorry it did not work for you. I wish that more people had posted the results of Sonorex, but they either do not know about this site or do not have the time or inclination to contribute.

I am told they have a 70 - 90% success rate with this treatment, which sounds way better than most other things people try. So I figure the odds are in my favour. I was told if no improvement after 6 weeks to get 2 more, but I will ask on Thursday if what you say is true. I talked with a guy who had pf for 10 years (he is not a runner) and when I talked with him it was 1 week after his last treatment. He said improvement at that point was 50%.

What gets me about pf is there is so much diversity - some people have it a few months, some for years; some people are runners, some are not; and the variety of treatments that work for some and not others is mind-boggling! If a person tries a whole bunch of stuff, and something works, how does he/she know what was it that worked?

I took an anti-inflammatory (Ponstan - I had some on hand) for one week and it really helped. On the internet it said you should only take this stuff for one week, not longer. So after I stopped, the pain returned. Why is there no drug that will take it away for good? Is there nothing that could be taken on a longer-term basis that would work? Ibuprofin does not do it for me.

I chose Sonorex as a 'quick fix' because that is what I want. i just hope it works, because I am into it for $600 (Candian $) after my insce. co. pays their part. And I am sick of screwing around with this problem. If I feel this way after 5 months, I can imagine how some sufferers feel after a year or more!

Is your pain worse or the same as before the Sonorex?

Astrid.

Trish on 5/03/00 at 23:01 (019827)

Hard to say if pain is worse or not.....it's definitely changed. I have a new pain in my arch which can be very persistent at times, especially when I am at rest. That is really a big drag! I noticed that within a day or so of the first treatment and when I told the technician she said it was probably referred pain from the shocks (I think that's what she said)and would just be temporary. Well, eight wks. later it's still here. In all of my 8 yrs. of PF I never had pain in my arch. Anyway, the heel pain is perhaps less....but it's hard to say because the other foot is OK right now too (I have PF in both feet) which makes me think I'm just having a little cyclical relief which I get from time to time. So......not sure if I answered your question, but I am very unsure as to whether I would benefit from 2 more treatments; If you learn anything about this tomorrow when you go back please let me know. I certainly wouldn't want to increase that arch pain! Best of luck to you! I hope it works for you!

Astrid Bierworth on 5/04/00 at 13:55 (019853)

I went for my second Sonorex treatment today. I asked the tecnician if you need to have some improvement before going for extra treatments (after 6 weeks or so) and she said no. She said that most people who are helped by this report that the improvement takes place over time, like maybe 10% per week (as reported by one patient). I mentioned that sometimes I get twinges of pain when I am driving (and the sore foot is not my driving foot). She said something is happening in there, which I take it to mean that healing is taking place. She also said it usually takes a few weeks to take effect.

Today's treatment hurt, as usual, but we got up to level 5. The technician said I have a tendency to move away from it, which is without my thinking about it - like a reaction.

Where do you live? How long since your last treatment? I will keep posting until this is over. I know how annoying this pf is and I want to help other people with it if I can, if only by giving information about my experiences.

Astrid.

posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: Sonocur Sonorex

Trish on 5/04/00 at 22:46 (019877)

I live in Edmonton and my last treatment was March 2nd (9 wks. ago).