Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do you know when ESWT is right for you?

Posted by Gary on 5/01/00 at 12:34 (019713)

I have been suffering with PF for almost one year. MY local MD is ready to send me down the road of cortisone shots, and surgury (should cortisone not work out). After reading this site for almost 9 months, it seems like both options really stink. However, I am probably at a '5' on the pain scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst). Some days I feel more like a '4'. I am currently in PT for the second time, and am getting some postive results (after 8 weeks). Should I go ahead with ESWT to provide more rapid relief, or will the treatment first set me back in terms of pain, and provide greater relief sometime in the future. Thanks for your thoughts!!
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: OssaTron

Re: How do you know it's not your orthodics?

Kim B. on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017560)

Do your orhtodics work well in other shoes?

What kind of orthodics are you talking about? Are they custom made or over the counter?

SAS offered me a free, no obligation, 14 day, go anywhere in them walk test on their Freetime walking shoe. But as I mentioned, the clerk had to make a note on my reciept incase I indeed wanted to return them, so I don't know if that goes for every sale. I do remember her saying that this offer was only good on their Freetime walking shoes though.

Good luck,
Kim B.

Re: How do you know when ESWT is right for you?

Dr. Weil, Jr. on 5/02/00 at 03:11 (019761)

My group sees approximately 500 new patients a year with the diagnosis of plantar fascitis.

We firmly believe the literature is correct in assessing that 85-90% of people will respond to conservative measures. We have a very thought out step by step approach to the treatment of plantar fascitis. I have posted much of it within the last several weeks. I have not been reading this message board for very long, but do not know the negative comments regarding cortisone. In my hands cortisone is an effective ADJUNCT to the treatment of PF. It does not have to be painful, nor is it just a temporary treatment when utilized in the appropriate manner. That being said, I do not push cortisone and do not use it in a majority of my patients.

We have published several studies about PF. Our most recent paper was the result of our surgical correction of PF. Our results showed that we did surgery on only 2.5% of patients who originally presented with PF of a total population of 3500 patients with PF over a 7 year period. Of that 2.5% who elected to have surgery, 85% of them had significant benefits. None were made worse.

We are currently utilizing ESWT in the situations where we would have used surgical intervention. Our requirements are that patients should have been APPROPRIATELY treated for PF for at least 6 months and have pain no less than 5/10 and preferably 7/10.

In the future, as we get a better grasp on the success of the ESWT we may expand our indications and offer it as a treatment in earlier situations. We are cautiously optomistic with regards to ESWT and PF. So far we have been pleased with its success. We plan to publish a preliminary report of our 1st 30 cases of PF treated with ESWT.

Realize, though, that those people currently treated with ESWT are the most recalcitrant cases and therefore have suffered for years and would likely not have responded to anything.

We have experience using ESWT on professional baseball players with earlier cases of pain but immediate treatment needs. We have expanded our indications for them and have had immediate and favorable results.

In summary, it sounds to me like there are other conservative options which should be explored before ESWT or surgical intervention is considered and the liklihood of success is quite good.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Mary J. on 5/02/00 at 07:37 (019762)

Dr. Weil, Thanks so much for all your information on treatment of Plantar Fasciitis. I have had PF for 4 years, and hope to be in an Ossatron study at the University of Texas in Galveston. I was recommended for this study by Dr. Marymont in Houston who is connected with the Ossatron Study in Houston. Will you let us know where we can read your preliminary report on the first 30 patients treated by ESWT? Thank you for you helpful postings.

Martha B. on 5/02/00 at 12:49 (019774)

Look at http://www.orthotripsy.com and that will probably help. Good Luck

Re: How do you know it's not your orthodics?

Kim B. on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017560)

Do your orhtodics work well in other shoes?

What kind of orthodics are you talking about? Are they custom made or over the counter?

SAS offered me a free, no obligation, 14 day, go anywhere in them walk test on their Freetime walking shoe. But as I mentioned, the clerk had to make a note on my reciept incase I indeed wanted to return them, so I don't know if that goes for every sale. I do remember her saying that this offer was only good on their Freetime walking shoes though.

Good luck,
Kim B.

Dr. Weil, Jr. on 5/02/00 at 03:11 (019761)

My group sees approximately 500 new patients a year with the diagnosis of plantar fascitis.

We firmly believe the literature is correct in assessing that 85-90% of people will respond to conservative measures. We have a very thought out step by step approach to the treatment of plantar fascitis. I have posted much of it within the last several weeks. I have not been reading this message board for very long, but do not know the negative comments regarding cortisone. In my hands cortisone is an effective ADJUNCT to the treatment of PF. It does not have to be painful, nor is it just a temporary treatment when utilized in the appropriate manner. That being said, I do not push cortisone and do not use it in a majority of my patients.

We have published several studies about PF. Our most recent paper was the result of our surgical correction of PF. Our results showed that we did surgery on only 2.5% of patients who originally presented with PF of a total population of 3500 patients with PF over a 7 year period. Of that 2.5% who elected to have surgery, 85% of them had significant benefits. None were made worse.

We are currently utilizing ESWT in the situations where we would have used surgical intervention. Our requirements are that patients should have been APPROPRIATELY treated for PF for at least 6 months and have pain no less than 5/10 and preferably 7/10.

In the future, as we get a better grasp on the success of the ESWT we may expand our indications and offer it as a treatment in earlier situations. We are cautiously optomistic with regards to ESWT and PF. So far we have been pleased with its success. We plan to publish a preliminary report of our 1st 30 cases of PF treated with ESWT.

Realize, though, that those people currently treated with ESWT are the most recalcitrant cases and therefore have suffered for years and would likely not have responded to anything.

We have experience using ESWT on professional baseball players with earlier cases of pain but immediate treatment needs. We have expanded our indications for them and have had immediate and favorable results.

In summary, it sounds to me like there are other conservative options which should be explored before ESWT or surgical intervention is considered and the liklihood of success is quite good.

Mary J. on 5/02/00 at 07:37 (019762)

Dr. Weil, Thanks so much for all your information on treatment of Plantar Fasciitis. I have had PF for 4 years, and hope to be in an Ossatron study at the University of Texas in Galveston. I was recommended for this study by Dr. Marymont in Houston who is connected with the Ossatron Study in Houston. Will you let us know where we can read your preliminary report on the first 30 patients treated by ESWT? Thank you for you helpful postings.

Martha B. on 5/02/00 at 12:49 (019774)

Look at http://www.orthotripsy.com and that will probably help. Good Luck