Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

night splints

Posted by truffle on 5/01/00 at 12:38 (019714)

thanks to all for advice on night splints - I guess I'll see how my feet are after a few weeks in them - if I ever manage to get to sleep in them!!

Re: night splints

Susan S on 5/01/00 at 13:35 (019717)

Just keep trrying. I promise that one night you'll sleep all night without waking and tossing them to the floor. In the mean time you might try an OTC sleep aid. I think the name of what I'm using is Simply Sleep by Tyelenol. Good Luck!

Bob G. on 5/01/00 at 23:35 (019753)

Hang in there, Truffle!

I remember wearing my nightsplint for the first time; it lasted less that half an hour and I was thinking there's got to be another way. I make half-hearted attempts to wear it, but it always came off so I could get to sleep.

But I then believed that the nightsplint would help, it just made sense and I was sick of the pain and willing to try 'anything' - so I did finally force myself to wear it. What a bummer, I did not sleep well for days and was tired and grouchy - and the sleepy bags under my eyes! I hated that thing, but I hated PF more so I kept at it.

Even though I was tired and grouchy I was noticing less pain in my heal, so it was working. I kept wearing it and kept being tired all day. But the more I'd wear it consistently, the easier it became to bear. Then, after experimenting, I discovered the combination that worked (for me) - - I started wearing the s/sock, birk arch support and nightsplint together (!!!). It was more comfortable and I began sleeping normally and waking up with the nightsplint on. This combination made all the difference in the world (for me).

From there my recovery was fast. I soon became painfree and am still wearing the darn thing all night long. I don't even notice it much anymore and this morning when I woke up I noticed that I was wearing the nightspling and that it felt comfortable and secure - I can now sleep with it without any bother at all.

I hope this helps you, Truffle. Take it in baby steps, keep trying each night. It's okay to take it off if you must sleep, but keep at it until you can wear it all night. I used to hate the nightsplint, now I love it.

Truffle on 5/02/00 at 16:06 (019785)

Thanks for the support - it's very comforting to know I'm not alone in this pain, T.

Susan S on 5/01/00 at 13:35 (019717)

Just keep trrying. I promise that one night you'll sleep all night without waking and tossing them to the floor. In the mean time you might try an OTC sleep aid. I think the name of what I'm using is Simply Sleep by Tyelenol. Good Luck!

Bob G. on 5/01/00 at 23:35 (019753)

Hang in there, Truffle!

I remember wearing my nightsplint for the first time; it lasted less that half an hour and I was thinking there's got to be another way. I make half-hearted attempts to wear it, but it always came off so I could get to sleep.

But I then believed that the nightsplint would help, it just made sense and I was sick of the pain and willing to try 'anything' - so I did finally force myself to wear it. What a bummer, I did not sleep well for days and was tired and grouchy - and the sleepy bags under my eyes! I hated that thing, but I hated PF more so I kept at it.

Even though I was tired and grouchy I was noticing less pain in my heal, so it was working. I kept wearing it and kept being tired all day. But the more I'd wear it consistently, the easier it became to bear. Then, after experimenting, I discovered the combination that worked (for me) - - I started wearing the s/sock, birk arch support and nightsplint together (!!!). It was more comfortable and I began sleeping normally and waking up with the nightsplint on. This combination made all the difference in the world (for me).

From there my recovery was fast. I soon became painfree and am still wearing the darn thing all night long. I don't even notice it much anymore and this morning when I woke up I noticed that I was wearing the nightspling and that it felt comfortable and secure - I can now sleep with it without any bother at all.

I hope this helps you, Truffle. Take it in baby steps, keep trying each night. It's okay to take it off if you must sleep, but keep at it until you can wear it all night. I used to hate the nightsplint, now I love it.

Truffle on 5/02/00 at 16:06 (019785)

Thanks for the support - it's very comforting to know I'm not alone in this pain, T.