Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When will it end?

Posted by J.F. on 5/01/00 at 23:51 (019754)

I've had PF(left foot) since mid 1997. Recently, I had surgery done on my left foot back in December of 1999. I still feel pain when I walk for more than 15 minutes(on average). The stitches healed fine and my heel is soft. I was feeling fine a week and a half ago, but know the pain and discomfort has increased again. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist last month. I felt no relief, but more discomfort. I think they over-stretched my foot a bit. Every evening I massage the foot and put ice on it. It does bring me some relief. I also wear orthopedic supports. I also use a cane when I go out.
The first few steps in the morning are the toughest. I avoid being bearfoot at all cost, unless I'm taking a shower. I have not returned to work, since my job requires me to be on my feet most of the time.
I've decided to put myself on a strict diet and loose as much weight as possible. I am overweight and this extra poundage cannot be helping my situation.
Now the doctor tells me that it could take up to a year to recover. Is this often the case?
He painted a rosier picture, before he operated on me. Origionally he said 6-8 weeks.
Is there anyone else out there in a similar PF situation as I? Any help or advice is appreciated. E-mails are welcome. Thanks.

Re: Foot reinjures over and over

Bob G. on 5/02/00 at 00:01 (019758)

You mentioned pain first thing in the morning, but have not mentioned whether you wear a nightsplint (consistently). Are you using a nightsplint, and if so, what has been your experience?

J.F. on 5/02/00 at 11:05 (019768)

No, I haven't used a night-splint. When I was getting physical therapy
they had to discontinue any stretching because of increased pain. A night-splint wouldn't be a good idea for me. Thanks for the advice, though.

Bob G. on 5/02/00 at 21:41 (019797)

J.F.

A nightsplint does not stretch; it prevents contraction, a major cause of morning pain. You might want to reconsider using a nightsplint (no fun, I know). Hey, do what you want - it worked for me. You seem to be under the impression that the nightsplint stretches No, it does not. It prevents condraction which prevents reinjury.

Of course, there are many other ways to reinjure.

Great that you are losing weight. That is a constant battle with me, also. Good luck!

john h on 5/04/00 at 19:05 (019865)

bob. with the adustable night splints such as i use i could put the foot in about a 10-15 degree dorsiflex position which with my tight achilles would be a stretch. i do, however, keep it neutral.

Nancy S. on 5/04/00 at 19:41 (019866)

John, I didn't know you have tight achilles too. My foot has been doing better in several ways lately, but the achilles tightness started a week or two ago, and came back today in full force. What do you do for this? Anything special? Or even nonspecial, I would like to know. I don't know what to do for it. --Nancy

Bob G. on 5/02/00 at 00:01 (019758)

You mentioned pain first thing in the morning, but have not mentioned whether you wear a nightsplint (consistently). Are you using a nightsplint, and if so, what has been your experience?

J.F. on 5/02/00 at 11:05 (019768)

No, I haven't used a night-splint. When I was getting physical therapy
they had to discontinue any stretching because of increased pain. A night-splint wouldn't be a good idea for me. Thanks for the advice, though.

Bob G. on 5/02/00 at 21:41 (019797)

J.F.

A nightsplint does not stretch; it prevents contraction, a major cause of morning pain. You might want to reconsider using a nightsplint (no fun, I know). Hey, do what you want - it worked for me. You seem to be under the impression that the nightsplint stretches No, it does not. It prevents condraction which prevents reinjury.

Of course, there are many other ways to reinjure.

Great that you are losing weight. That is a constant battle with me, also. Good luck!

john h on 5/04/00 at 19:05 (019865)

bob. with the adustable night splints such as i use i could put the foot in about a 10-15 degree dorsiflex position which with my tight achilles would be a stretch. i do, however, keep it neutral.

Nancy S. on 5/04/00 at 19:41 (019866)

John, I didn't know you have tight achilles too. My foot has been doing better in several ways lately, but the achilles tightness started a week or two ago, and came back today in full force. What do you do for this? Anything special? Or even nonspecial, I would like to know. I don't know what to do for it. --Nancy