Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

locating an ART therapist, or even better, a good one

Posted by alan k on 5/02/00 at 08:47 (019763)

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to locate a reputable Active Release Therapy practicioner?

I was thinking about calling 50 chiropracters in the area, but I'm not sure the receptionists would know or if I would get honest answers that way. Is there a better way?

alan k

Re: locating an ART therapist, or even better, a good one

Kim B. on 5/02/00 at 11:37 (019770)

Call The licesnsed Massage Therapist in your area, or even the massage schools, and asked those kinds of people where you can find someone who specializes in ART. It may fall under 'Professional Reflexolgy'. I'm not sure. This is one angle you could try.

Good luck.

Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 5/02/00 at 13:50 (019776)

Alan - I found the ART Chiro in my area by referral from Dr. Leahy at 408-358-7900. Good Luck

PattyS on 5/03/00 at 13:50 (019817)

I had been seeing Dr. Leahy in CA (today was the last day). Chris is right-he can direct you to someone trained in ART with him or his brother in CO. He has helped my immensely! My arch is pain free, and am now having pain in my ankle, which he believes is caused by the fact that I am walking normally now, after 7 months of compensating for the pain, and I need to work back to my old strength in those muscles. He also suggested that I do some theraband exercises to help. Good luck with whoever you choose. Patty

alan k on 5/04/00 at 07:16 (019830)

Thanks everyone. I am going to try. Good luck with the theraband exercises-- I think they work wonders themselves.

alan k

Re: what are theraband exercises?

Helen on 5/04/00 at 13:56 (019854)

What are theraband exercises? Can someone explain. I am nervous about doing ART as I may have nerve entrapment. I don't want to worsen my condition. Can anyone help with information? Thanks.

Helen

Re: What is ART?

Beverly on 5/05/00 at 10:02 (019891)

You all keep referring to ART? What is it?

Beverly

PattyS on 5/05/00 at 10:05 (019892)

Beverly, do a subject search on ART, or Dr. Leahy and you will pull up posts which describe ART in detail. patty

Re: Patty - how many treatments did you need and how often?

Helen on 5/05/00 at 19:51 (019922)

I have just started ART today and my feet are sore tonight - I probably overdid it after the treatment. How long did you need to see Dr. Leahy and how often? It is pricey. I am told I need to go once a week for 3 to 5 weeks and then take it from there. (whatever that means!). How long had you had PF before you went for ART? Thanks.

Helen

PattyS on 5/05/00 at 22:14 (019929)

Helen, I went for my initial session ($45) then 6 sessions over two weeks at $38. My insurance covers chiro, but Dr. Leahy was not in the plan so I just ended up paying for it myself. I had problems early on as he said it is common for patients to overdue it at the first sign of relief. My PF is all gone, but I am still having slight problems with my ankles, which Dr. Leahy attributes to using the muscles in a different way after months of compensating for the PF pain. I know that it is not cheap, but with all of the money I have thrown at shoes, inserts etc I thought it would be worth the cost if it would give me genuine relief. He doesnt feel that I need any orthotics, special shoes, shower shoes anymore, so it will save me $$$ in the long run. Patty

Kim B. on 5/02/00 at 11:37 (019770)

Call The licesnsed Massage Therapist in your area, or even the massage schools, and asked those kinds of people where you can find someone who specializes in ART. It may fall under 'Professional Reflexolgy'. I'm not sure. This is one angle you could try.

Good luck.

Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 5/02/00 at 13:50 (019776)

Alan - I found the ART Chiro in my area by referral from Dr. Leahy at 408-358-7900. Good Luck

PattyS on 5/03/00 at 13:50 (019817)

I had been seeing Dr. Leahy in CA (today was the last day). Chris is right-he can direct you to someone trained in ART with him or his brother in CO. He has helped my immensely! My arch is pain free, and am now having pain in my ankle, which he believes is caused by the fact that I am walking normally now, after 7 months of compensating for the pain, and I need to work back to my old strength in those muscles. He also suggested that I do some theraband exercises to help. Good luck with whoever you choose. Patty

alan k on 5/04/00 at 07:16 (019830)

Thanks everyone. I am going to try. Good luck with the theraband exercises-- I think they work wonders themselves.

alan k

Re: what are theraband exercises?

Helen on 5/04/00 at 13:56 (019854)

What are theraband exercises? Can someone explain. I am nervous about doing ART as I may have nerve entrapment. I don't want to worsen my condition. Can anyone help with information? Thanks.

Helen

Beverly on 5/05/00 at 10:02 (019891)

You all keep referring to ART? What is it?

Beverly

PattyS on 5/05/00 at 10:05 (019892)

Beverly, do a subject search on ART, or Dr. Leahy and you will pull up posts which describe ART in detail. patty

Helen on 5/05/00 at 19:51 (019922)

I have just started ART today and my feet are sore tonight - I probably overdid it after the treatment. How long did you need to see Dr. Leahy and how often? It is pricey. I am told I need to go once a week for 3 to 5 weeks and then take it from there. (whatever that means!). How long had you had PF before you went for ART? Thanks.

Helen

PattyS on 5/05/00 at 22:14 (019929)

Helen, I went for my initial session ($45) then 6 sessions over two weeks at $38. My insurance covers chiro, but Dr. Leahy was not in the plan so I just ended up paying for it myself. I had problems early on as he said it is common for patients to overdue it at the first sign of relief. My PF is all gone, but I am still having slight problems with my ankles, which Dr. Leahy attributes to using the muscles in a different way after months of compensating for the PF pain. I know that it is not cheap, but with all of the money I have thrown at shoes, inserts etc I thought it would be worth the cost if it would give me genuine relief. He doesnt feel that I need any orthotics, special shoes, shower shoes anymore, so it will save me $$$ in the long run. Patty