Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf - no heel spur?

Posted by Pat M on 5/02/00 at 18:38 (019790)

I saw my GP today. He diagnosed PF. He sent me for x-rays but they showed no heel spur. The doctor is setting up an appointment with a podiatrist in the area. I'm not sure which one yet.

I hope whoever he/she is they listen as well as this doctor did. He seemed to take me seriously. He didn't even say 'oh that'!!! He was very understanding. He put me on ibuprofen until I see the podiatrist. He also told me about some stretches to do, but then said not to do them just yet.

So my question is: is PF possible without heel spurs? I think in some of my many hours of reading I did read that you can have heel spurs without PF, but not sure about the opposite. I did a search of the board, but it didn't clear it up. Anybody out there know? I'm sure that someone does.:) PatM

Re: pf - no heel spur?

Nancy S. on 5/02/00 at 19:06 (019792)

Absolutely, Pat -- many people get PF without a heel spur. I have only a very tiny spur, yet the pain was awful for many months. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether you have a spur or not, or what size it is -- PF is PF regardless, and usually it's the fascia itself that is injured, inflamed, painful. I think some people believe that the spur itself can cause pain, but according to most literature it generally is not the source. I was diagnosed with PF _before_ an x-ray was taken. Best of luck with the podiatrist you get sent to --Nancy

Re: pf - no heel spur?Re pat

Laurie R on 5/02/00 at 20:54 (019795)

Hi Pat,
I am so glad you liked your doctor ,to me that is so important,Anyways Nancy is so right you can have PF with no spurs.I have PF and TTS with no spurs.I also had x-rays which were normal. I hope you get a good Podiatrist.I had to wait 4 months for my Podiatrist but it was worth it. My best to you Pat......Laurie R

cindyp on 5/02/00 at 21:31 (019796)

Yes you can. I was diagnosed 7 years ago with PF. Never had a heel spur. Good luck on the doctor front. My mri results come on 4 May. Crossing fingers because I am scared to death . I am so afraid this podiatrist is going to say well there's not much we can do for you.

Re: pf - no heel spur?

Nancy S. on 5/02/00 at 19:06 (019792)

Absolutely, Pat -- many people get PF without a heel spur. I have only a very tiny spur, yet the pain was awful for many months. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether you have a spur or not, or what size it is -- PF is PF regardless, and usually it's the fascia itself that is injured, inflamed, painful. I think some people believe that the spur itself can cause pain, but according to most literature it generally is not the source. I was diagnosed with PF _before_ an x-ray was taken. Best of luck with the podiatrist you get sent to --Nancy

Laurie R on 5/02/00 at 20:54 (019795)

Hi Pat,
I am so glad you liked your doctor ,to me that is so important,Anyways Nancy is so right you can have PF with no spurs.I have PF and TTS with no spurs.I also had x-rays which were normal. I hope you get a good Podiatrist.I had to wait 4 months for my Podiatrist but it was worth it. My best to you Pat......Laurie R

cindyp on 5/02/00 at 21:31 (019796)

Yes you can. I was diagnosed 7 years ago with PF. Never had a heel spur. Good luck on the doctor front. My mri results come on 4 May. Crossing fingers because I am scared to death . I am so afraid this podiatrist is going to say well there's not much we can do for you.