Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics

Posted by john h on 5/03/00 at 09:47 (019807)

so far i have received about 5 responses from orthotic labs concerning the best material for orthotics. here is one of the responses which seems to make sense:

'this is a huge subject, but to mak a long story short, the least important consideration in writing a prescription for orthoses is the material it is made of.

far more important is the prescription that the doctor writes which indicates where force shoud be applied to your foot to control your symptoms.

there is no one Rx for plantar fascitis - just as there is no one eyeglasses Rx for nearsightedness. You need to fin a podiatrist (or other qualified biomechanist) who can evaluate the underlying mechanics of your symptoms and the write an appropriate prescription for orthotic devices.

wjere are located? if i know of someone near you i can give you their name. If not you may just need to start asking around to fin the right person.'

---------DPM
Director of Education
ProLab Orthotics

Re: orthotics

Nancy S. on 5/03/00 at 17:23 (019820)

Thanks for posting the info. from orthotics labs -- interesting. It's sounding as if an awful lot of the success/nonsuccess possibility lies with the prescribing doctor. Maybe they need to get better at it: I wonder how many people are happy vs. unhappy with their Rx orthotics?
I'm on day 4 with hiking boots and no orthotics and still doing well. I can't believe it. I've never reached day 4 before! Am still being very careful to take rests and not do dumb things like lift heavy things, etc., but today once again I was able to work for about 3 hours and am having either no or only the slightest occasional twinge of pain. I still have some tightness -- not painful -- in the achilles area. Don't know what to do about that, and I don't feel like going to a foot doctor out-of-pocket and have him tell me he doesn't know what to do either!
--Nancy

Re: Pod in Washington DC area ?

CJT on 5/03/00 at 20:20 (019823)

Do have a name for one located near the Washington DC area?

Re: Progress

Bob G. on 5/03/00 at 23:38 (019829)

Hi, Nancy! great you are making such progress. When I was 4 days pain-free, Ibuprofen became a major player. It kept me on the edge as I advanced further and further. Good luck!

john h on 5/04/00 at 10:38 (019840)

dr zuckerman is located near philidelphia and post on this board. he also has a website.

dfeet on 5/04/00 at 20:14 (019868)

Nancy,how fantastic!!!! I am so thrilled that you've been orthotics free for four days- that's big!! It truly is so important for me to hear about the positive progresses of others. Thank you for sharing. I wish you continued improvement and health.-dfeet

Nancy S. on 5/03/00 at 17:23 (019820)

Thanks for posting the info. from orthotics labs -- interesting. It's sounding as if an awful lot of the success/nonsuccess possibility lies with the prescribing doctor. Maybe they need to get better at it: I wonder how many people are happy vs. unhappy with their Rx orthotics?
I'm on day 4 with hiking boots and no orthotics and still doing well. I can't believe it. I've never reached day 4 before! Am still being very careful to take rests and not do dumb things like lift heavy things, etc., but today once again I was able to work for about 3 hours and am having either no or only the slightest occasional twinge of pain. I still have some tightness -- not painful -- in the achilles area. Don't know what to do about that, and I don't feel like going to a foot doctor out-of-pocket and have him tell me he doesn't know what to do either!
--Nancy

CJT on 5/03/00 at 20:20 (019823)

Do have a name for one located near the Washington DC area?

Re: Progress

Bob G. on 5/03/00 at 23:38 (019829)

Hi, Nancy! great you are making such progress. When I was 4 days pain-free, Ibuprofen became a major player. It kept me on the edge as I advanced further and further. Good luck!

john h on 5/04/00 at 10:38 (019840)

dr zuckerman is located near philidelphia and post on this board. he also has a website.

dfeet on 5/04/00 at 20:14 (019868)

Nancy,how fantastic!!!! I am so thrilled that you've been orthotics free for four days- that's big!! It truly is so important for me to hear about the positive progresses of others. Thank you for sharing. I wish you continued improvement and health.-dfeet