Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New treatment for me Acupuncture to Wendyn ot anyone else who knows

Posted by Laurie R on 5/05/00 at 11:40 (019902)

Hello to all,
Ok believe it or not my workmans comp just oked me to go to 6 visit of acupuncture,my pod wants me to try and I think I also should ,I had acupuncture a long time ago for something else and I didn't like it I only went one time and that was enough for me the guy scared me to death.But that was than and this is now .Ok Wendy can you tell me everything you know ,I was suppose to see the persom my pod goes to but she said she can;t help me that I should try someone else,so I called yesterday to set up an appointment for when my cast comes off the problems was we did not understand each other she did noy speak english to well so what I got out of it she is going to put needles in my neck and foot,I asked her if she knew what TTS was and she thought I was talking about CTS,I am sure she knows what it is I think she just didn't understand me.I told her I was scared and she said it ok that most people are but after the first visit I wouldn't be scared any more.She was trying very hard to talk to me at first I was thinking oh my god than what I did was try to find something positive about her, I did before I hang up the phone she told me don't be scared ,right their I thought she has compassion for me so thats good enough for me.Ok anyone that can help I would appreciate it ,If you can tell me what to expect when I go and how does this help PF and TTS??? Thank you all and thank you Wendyn..........My very best to all Laurie R

Re: New treatment for me Acupuncture to Wendyn ot anyone else who knows

John h on 5/05/00 at 12:47 (019905)

laurie: i had about 8 treatments and probably only had that many because my accupuncturist was so good looking. It did not help my feet. My accupuncturist carried the title of Doctor of Oriental Medicine. She graduated from the University of Pittsburg with a degree in science and had 4 year of studies in Oriental Medicine in Florida. There are different forms of accupuncture and i have forgotten what method she used. Aside from the needles she used little burning embers that were placed on your body. she would remove them when you advised her they were to hot. i think regardless of what your problem is (feet,back,etc) they treat the 'whole body'. some of the needles can hurt (ones in the big toe i remember well). My sessions lasted 1 hour and cost $50. I would scout around for someone certifed as many people including chiropractors do this and are not nearly as well trained as others. See if any in your area are Doctors of Oriental Medicine as they do have a lot of training. Good luck- hope you get a Brad Pitt look alike.

wendyn on 5/05/00 at 13:57 (019911)

Laurie, I went to someone trained in both medical acupuncture and traditional Chinese Medicine. This is a great combo. Tried to find someone you can communicate with.

John posted that he thought the nerve conduction test did not hurt and that acupuncture was worse. I think John and his magnificent body (even if it's 6lbs heavier) and I have to disagree on this one.

I had only two sort of negative experiences. The first time I went she put a lot of pins in both my feet (Laurie do a search on my name back to around January and you can review my comments on what I thought at the time). My right foot behaved strangely after the appointment - it stiffened up and didn't want to move for about an hour. Then it was fine - but she never put pins right into that foot again.

My second appointment I had a major bad attitude. I was up tight and totally not relaxed. I felt the pins more and it was unpleasent. After that - all the other appointments were fine - I think frame of mind and relaxing is really important.

I had a blood test this morning and I think the blood test is more painful. Everyone is different though.

The idea behind acupuncture is to stimulate the bodies ability to heal, help reduce inflammation and control pain. I did not notice any improvement until the fourth visit. They did a lot of work on my back too at that visit.

It's certainly worth a try Laurie - the risks from acupuncture are very small - make sure they use disposable needles and that the person is certified.

Once the pins are in - I don't feel anything - one time she came in and I thought she was just turning the pins and she had taken them out. I couldn't tell they were gone. I usually feel sleepy and relaxed. You may get kind of cold, so maybe ask to have a warming pad on your back or stomach (most physio type places have these. According to my yoga teacher - when you really relax you get cold so maybe that's why?

Let us know how you do!!!!

John - maybe your acupuncture was so painful because she was punishing you for leering at her? Just a thought..... :)

Lori E. on 5/05/00 at 16:11 (019914)

My advice is to find a practioner that you are comfortable with, much like finding the right doctor. Communication is important, and they should interview you about you symptoms before doing the first treatment. A good book to read about acu. is 'Acupuncture - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know' by Dr. Gary Fleischman. I have had 9 acu. treatments. The treatments have brought my pain level down from a 6-7 to a 3 on some days. It seems that frequency may be the key to treating PF. I go at least twice a week. If I miss a treatment, my pain level soars. My acu. got his training in Boston, (I can't remember the school, my memory is still bad from the depression I have from the chronic pain,) he is trained in several types of acu. and he has a great bedside manner. He uses an eclectic approach. The first treatment was strange, the needles he put in my ears pinched alot, and then bled he took the needles out. He says that that is actually a good sign, that using that site means it is working.
I did have a bad experience with his associate, the needles she put in my hands hurt alot, and she didn't come back to check soon enough to see if I was comfortable. The needles shouldn't hurt after they have been in for about 2-5 min.If they do, they should be adjusted.
Now I find the treatments quite pleasant. I get to relax and lie in a darkened room for about 1/2 hour to 45 min. listening to relaxing music. He puts a heat lamp on my feet, since they get cold during the treatment. I fell asleep during my last treatment. I am hoping that with continued treatment as well as stretching, weight loss, good shoes, and rest, I will have this thing beaten by fall.

Laurie R on 5/05/00 at 17:02 (019916)

Hi,
Thanks Wendy now this makes sence to me,now for me to relax is other story,I never can do this unless I am really comfortable with the doctor but I will try.Do you think it is going to help my TTS? That's the thing that worry's me.

John thanks for your reply and I am sorry it did not help you.It is like every other treatment it might work for one and not the other. Have you tryed PT ? And if so did it help you?

Lori thanks for your reply ,I will give it my all My PF is doing so much better it is still the TTS but just maybe acupucture will help because the TTS is a nerve problem ,we will see.Thanks again you guys.My best to all Laurie R

john h on 5/05/00 at 19:05 (019920)

laurie: there is an article in the most recent issure of 'Arthritis Today' on accupuncture. it is worth reading. basically it says accupuncture can, with some problems, reduce pain and inflamation but cannot 'cure'. there are not a lot of acceptable 'scientific' studies on the subject but a lot of information. certainly worth a try.

alan k on 5/06/00 at 08:52 (019936)

Laurie be very sure that you get it across about the TTS, not CTS. Many acupuncturists are not aware of tts.

The first couple of times you might be nervous but if you relax there is nothing unpleasant about acupuncture. If you are nervous, it feels stingy sometimes, but only because you are tight. Once you relax, a mosquito bite is far more painful.

Try to get permission to go for far more than 6 times. You'll need at least triple that to see if it is making progress (though you might even see it the first time).

Acupuncture works so definitely give it a chance.

alan k

Re: New treatment for me Acupuncture else who knowsRe John

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 11:20 (019940)

Hi John,
Thank you very much for your reply,where can I buy Arthritis Today???I wpould really like to read up on it.Thank you Laurie R

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 11:26 (019941)

Hi Alan,
I am always nervous before I am going to do something new. I did have it years ago for something else but the guy scared me and I never went back .I do feel good about this,plus my Pod wants me to try it too.I have to wait until I get this hard cast off than I can go.Thanks for your kind words Alan how are you doing?? How is you pain and TTS? You still have TTS right?

Thanks Laurie R

john h on 5/06/00 at 19:34 (019944)

Laurie: i think you have to make a donation to the arthritis foundation to receive the magazine ($20). they have a web site http://www.arthritis.org

they have a lot of useful info on new inflamatory drugs and of course the latest on anything about arthritis.

john h on 5/06/00 at 19:38 (019945)

laurie: i do not know how long you have had a hard cast on but i would wonder if it is appropriate to have acu until you get that leg back into some kind of condition????????

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 20:56 (019949)

Hi John,
thanks John I went to Barns and Noble today trying to find it but they did not have it.I just checked out the web site pretty good.Thanks again. Laurie R

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 20:58 (019950)

Hi John,
I have had it on now for 1 week and a half ,you have a very good point here.I will see my Pod next week and I will ask him ,just a few weeks ago I had other hard cast on for 4 weeks and lost all the muscle in my leg so I know now I have no muscle so I will ask .Thanks again I didn't even think of this. Laurie R

John h on 5/05/00 at 12:47 (019905)

laurie: i had about 8 treatments and probably only had that many because my accupuncturist was so good looking. It did not help my feet. My accupuncturist carried the title of Doctor of Oriental Medicine. She graduated from the University of Pittsburg with a degree in science and had 4 year of studies in Oriental Medicine in Florida. There are different forms of accupuncture and i have forgotten what method she used. Aside from the needles she used little burning embers that were placed on your body. she would remove them when you advised her they were to hot. i think regardless of what your problem is (feet,back,etc) they treat the 'whole body'. some of the needles can hurt (ones in the big toe i remember well). My sessions lasted 1 hour and cost $50. I would scout around for someone certifed as many people including chiropractors do this and are not nearly as well trained as others. See if any in your area are Doctors of Oriental Medicine as they do have a lot of training. Good luck- hope you get a Brad Pitt look alike.

wendyn on 5/05/00 at 13:57 (019911)

Laurie, I went to someone trained in both medical acupuncture and traditional Chinese Medicine. This is a great combo. Tried to find someone you can communicate with.

John posted that he thought the nerve conduction test did not hurt and that acupuncture was worse. I think John and his magnificent body (even if it's 6lbs heavier) and I have to disagree on this one.

I had only two sort of negative experiences. The first time I went she put a lot of pins in both my feet (Laurie do a search on my name back to around January and you can review my comments on what I thought at the time). My right foot behaved strangely after the appointment - it stiffened up and didn't want to move for about an hour. Then it was fine - but she never put pins right into that foot again.

My second appointment I had a major bad attitude. I was up tight and totally not relaxed. I felt the pins more and it was unpleasent. After that - all the other appointments were fine - I think frame of mind and relaxing is really important.

I had a blood test this morning and I think the blood test is more painful. Everyone is different though.

The idea behind acupuncture is to stimulate the bodies ability to heal, help reduce inflammation and control pain. I did not notice any improvement until the fourth visit. They did a lot of work on my back too at that visit.

It's certainly worth a try Laurie - the risks from acupuncture are very small - make sure they use disposable needles and that the person is certified.

Once the pins are in - I don't feel anything - one time she came in and I thought she was just turning the pins and she had taken them out. I couldn't tell they were gone. I usually feel sleepy and relaxed. You may get kind of cold, so maybe ask to have a warming pad on your back or stomach (most physio type places have these. According to my yoga teacher - when you really relax you get cold so maybe that's why?

Let us know how you do!!!!

John - maybe your acupuncture was so painful because she was punishing you for leering at her? Just a thought..... :)

Lori E. on 5/05/00 at 16:11 (019914)

My advice is to find a practioner that you are comfortable with, much like finding the right doctor. Communication is important, and they should interview you about you symptoms before doing the first treatment. A good book to read about acu. is 'Acupuncture - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know' by Dr. Gary Fleischman. I have had 9 acu. treatments. The treatments have brought my pain level down from a 6-7 to a 3 on some days. It seems that frequency may be the key to treating PF. I go at least twice a week. If I miss a treatment, my pain level soars. My acu. got his training in Boston, (I can't remember the school, my memory is still bad from the depression I have from the chronic pain,) he is trained in several types of acu. and he has a great bedside manner. He uses an eclectic approach. The first treatment was strange, the needles he put in my ears pinched alot, and then bled he took the needles out. He says that that is actually a good sign, that using that site means it is working.
I did have a bad experience with his associate, the needles she put in my hands hurt alot, and she didn't come back to check soon enough to see if I was comfortable. The needles shouldn't hurt after they have been in for about 2-5 min.If they do, they should be adjusted.
Now I find the treatments quite pleasant. I get to relax and lie in a darkened room for about 1/2 hour to 45 min. listening to relaxing music. He puts a heat lamp on my feet, since they get cold during the treatment. I fell asleep during my last treatment. I am hoping that with continued treatment as well as stretching, weight loss, good shoes, and rest, I will have this thing beaten by fall.

Laurie R on 5/05/00 at 17:02 (019916)

Hi,
Thanks Wendy now this makes sence to me,now for me to relax is other story,I never can do this unless I am really comfortable with the doctor but I will try.Do you think it is going to help my TTS? That's the thing that worry's me.

John thanks for your reply and I am sorry it did not help you.It is like every other treatment it might work for one and not the other. Have you tryed PT ? And if so did it help you?

Lori thanks for your reply ,I will give it my all My PF is doing so much better it is still the TTS but just maybe acupucture will help because the TTS is a nerve problem ,we will see.Thanks again you guys.My best to all Laurie R

john h on 5/05/00 at 19:05 (019920)

laurie: there is an article in the most recent issure of 'Arthritis Today' on accupuncture. it is worth reading. basically it says accupuncture can, with some problems, reduce pain and inflamation but cannot 'cure'. there are not a lot of acceptable 'scientific' studies on the subject but a lot of information. certainly worth a try.

alan k on 5/06/00 at 08:52 (019936)

Laurie be very sure that you get it across about the TTS, not CTS. Many acupuncturists are not aware of tts.

The first couple of times you might be nervous but if you relax there is nothing unpleasant about acupuncture. If you are nervous, it feels stingy sometimes, but only because you are tight. Once you relax, a mosquito bite is far more painful.

Try to get permission to go for far more than 6 times. You'll need at least triple that to see if it is making progress (though you might even see it the first time).

Acupuncture works so definitely give it a chance.

alan k

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 11:20 (019940)

Hi John,
Thank you very much for your reply,where can I buy Arthritis Today???I wpould really like to read up on it.Thank you Laurie R

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 11:26 (019941)

Hi Alan,
I am always nervous before I am going to do something new. I did have it years ago for something else but the guy scared me and I never went back .I do feel good about this,plus my Pod wants me to try it too.I have to wait until I get this hard cast off than I can go.Thanks for your kind words Alan how are you doing?? How is you pain and TTS? You still have TTS right?

Thanks Laurie R

john h on 5/06/00 at 19:34 (019944)

Laurie: i think you have to make a donation to the arthritis foundation to receive the magazine ($20). they have a web site http://www.arthritis.org

they have a lot of useful info on new inflamatory drugs and of course the latest on anything about arthritis.

john h on 5/06/00 at 19:38 (019945)

laurie: i do not know how long you have had a hard cast on but i would wonder if it is appropriate to have acu until you get that leg back into some kind of condition????????

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 20:56 (019949)

Hi John,
thanks John I went to Barns and Noble today trying to find it but they did not have it.I just checked out the web site pretty good.Thanks again. Laurie R

Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 20:58 (019950)

Hi John,
I have had it on now for 1 week and a half ,you have a very good point here.I will see my Pod next week and I will ask him ,just a few weeks ago I had other hard cast on for 4 weeks and lost all the muscle in my leg so I know now I have no muscle so I will ask .Thanks again I didn't even think of this. Laurie R