Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need info on Tennis Elbow/Bursitis relief

Posted by Beverly on 5/06/00 at 01:30 (019933)

Well, as some of you might know, if my PF were not enough, a few weeks ago I banged my elbow. It has stayed very painful. I've done ice.

I went to my internist today. He said, 'Tennis Elbow with Bursitis.'
He told me to get a tennis elbow splint and do ice/heat. He also showed me a couple of stretches. I tried to get physical therapy/ultrasound. He refused for now. I have a hunch that is an insurance thing. He even implied it. I'm frustrated. I have plenty of visits left on my insurance.

He said it should clearup in a few weeks if I'm careful with it and wear the splint.
Question: How much am I suppose to wear the splint: when I'm using my elbow, like computer time and cooking or all the time? Isn't it bad to cut off your circulation all the time? Do you think I should push for physical therapy? I had a neck/shoulder injury last year that nothing helped until I went to PT; so I have become quite a fan of the experience.

The drug store had the spint that goes under the elbow and the kind that embraces both under and over/above elbow. I got the one with the most support.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Need info on Tennis Elbow/Bursitis relief

John V on 5/06/00 at 11:03 (019939)

I recently read about a Danish study that concluded that a combination of antioxidants (vitamins E, C, B6, together with the minerals selenium and zinc) and essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and Omega 6 found in fish oil and borage oil) was very effective in the treatment of inflammatory injuries. It talked specifically about tennis elbow. A summary of the study may be found on Medscape.
http://orthopedics.medscape.com/20727.rhtml

Bea K on 5/07/00 at 00:19 (019962)

I have had tendonitis in my wrist, elbow & shoulder at different times. The answer in all three cases was to immobilize it for a few weeks as much as possible (removable casts) and to apply hot and then cold. It takes a little patience but I don't feel physical therapy is necessary. For once your physician seems to be right.

VickiJ on 5/07/00 at 10:33 (019970)

Interesting. I've been taking all of those antioxidents, EFA's for months (for other issues) and they haven't done a thing for my 'tennis elbow'

Kim B. on 5/09/00 at 12:14 (020083)

Beverly,

I had tennis elbow and golfer's elbow on the same arm (the left) at the same time, a few years back. I over continully over extended my arm repitiously changing the diapers of a child with very strong legs, and a strong will not to be diapered. (mine btw).

I feel certian it was the combination of a cortizone injection and an 'air cast armband' that helped it to finally go away.

Ask for the 'pneumatic air cast armband (for tennis elbow)' at an apothocary pharmacy. It is small and ugly, but when put in the correct spot it keeps you from over extending those particular muscles while it heals. The instructions are on the box. I still have mine, just in case.

Good luck. You may get results with the aircast alone. The cortizone helped but it was after the aircast was added that things started finally healing well. It took a while, and people were constantly asking me about that thing on my arm, but it worked.

Kim B.

John V on 5/06/00 at 11:03 (019939)

I recently read about a Danish study that concluded that a combination of antioxidants (vitamins E, C, B6, together with the minerals selenium and zinc) and essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and Omega 6 found in fish oil and borage oil) was very effective in the treatment of inflammatory injuries. It talked specifically about tennis elbow. A summary of the study may be found on Medscape.
http://orthopedics.medscape.com/20727.rhtml

Bea K on 5/07/00 at 00:19 (019962)

I have had tendonitis in my wrist, elbow & shoulder at different times. The answer in all three cases was to immobilize it for a few weeks as much as possible (removable casts) and to apply hot and then cold. It takes a little patience but I don't feel physical therapy is necessary. For once your physician seems to be right.

VickiJ on 5/07/00 at 10:33 (019970)

Interesting. I've been taking all of those antioxidents, EFA's for months (for other issues) and they haven't done a thing for my 'tennis elbow'

Kim B. on 5/09/00 at 12:14 (020083)

Beverly,

I had tennis elbow and golfer's elbow on the same arm (the left) at the same time, a few years back. I over continully over extended my arm repitiously changing the diapers of a child with very strong legs, and a strong will not to be diapered. (mine btw).

I feel certian it was the combination of a cortizone injection and an 'air cast armband' that helped it to finally go away.

Ask for the 'pneumatic air cast armband (for tennis elbow)' at an apothocary pharmacy. It is small and ugly, but when put in the correct spot it keeps you from over extending those particular muscles while it heals. The instructions are on the box. I still have mine, just in case.

Good luck. You may get results with the aircast alone. The cortizone helped but it was after the aircast was added that things started finally healing well. It took a while, and people were constantly asking me about that thing on my arm, but it worked.

Kim B.