Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Cindy,how are you doing now that you got your diagnosis???

Posted by Laurie R on 5/06/00 at 21:03 (019952)

Hi Cindy,
Just thinking about you and I was wondering how you are doing? How is your pain? And when are you going to see your new doctor for treatment for this?? I hope you are well .Please let us know how you are.....Laurie R

Re: To Cindy,how are you doing now that you got your diagnosis???

cindyp on 5/06/00 at 21:30 (019953)

Not so good. I really didn't expect the word tumor to come out of his mouth. I als have some atrophy on the lateral side of my foot because I guess it is also pressing on that nerve and causing something to happen. He said it is deep in my foot. He just didn't seem to positive or hopeful. I have to wait to have a neurologist to evaluate the pictures or whatever and then call me to set up the appointment. What I am wondering is why this happened. Also what is the chance if removed of it coming back. And the last thing is if removed how does that leave me. He said I know your quality of life is not very good right now but removing it could leave you worse than this. So that made me feel really good. Pain is about the same but it seems to slowly be progressing to worse and more . What I mean is that before I had to be on them for awhile before it started. Now I don't have to do much and there it is. Always reminding me here I am.

dfeet on 5/06/00 at 21:41 (019956)

Hi, cindy. I just posted some info on polyneuroma to you for your last post. It is said to be a benign condition/tumor that affects peripheral nerves. Please read my post. I know that it is very scarey. It is always hard to figure everything out when so much is coming at you at once. It is important that you talk to your doc about ANYTHING that may be concerning you. He/she is one of the best resources you have. I wish you all the best-dfeet

wendyn on 5/07/00 at 22:28 (019995)

I don't know much about this tumor - I do have a friend that had one removed from his leg. It had a long ugly sounding name that I wish I could remember. He could it feel it from the outside and it caused him a fair bit of pain. It was operated on by a neurosurgeon.

I'm annoyed that your doctor would drop the word 'tumor' on you without any reassurance or any real explanation. Despite the fact that many tumors are benign and easily removed - it's a scary word to hear.

Hopefully the neurologist will be more helpful.

You say that the pain is becoming worse - one thought on this - and it certainly isn't to minimize your pain or say it's all in your head.I have lower back problems in addition to my feet problems, back in September one doctor initially diagnosed me with Ankylosing Spondilitys (not looking up the spelling). That's a form of arthritis that fuses your spine together. The following two weeks were probably two of the worst ever for my back. I think that believing there was something significantly wrong with it like arthritis somehow made me much more aware of the pain.

That's not to say that the pain isn't real, and isn't there - but it certainly heightened my perception of it. Perhaps this is what's happening in your case, and maybe it's not a real indication of the problem(the tumor) itself becoming worse?

Please keep us updated on how you do and when you'll be seeing the neurologist...

Take care

Wendy

cindyp on 5/08/00 at 16:59 (020020)

Well I do hope the neurologist can be of some insight if nothing else. The reason that I say the pain is worse is that I thought I was a pf sufferer. This was 7 years ago. Until recently I had no health care and the pain was all the while slowly worsening. Imagine the feeling out of nowhere and no reason a knife stabbing you in your foot. When I found out that I now had health care via the v.a. I went to get help. The pain has increased over the years and there are days I have felt I cannot go on with this. It has made it impossible to seek much less keep gainful employment. Yes today has been a bad one and a depressing one.

cindyp on 5/06/00 at 21:30 (019953)

Not so good. I really didn't expect the word tumor to come out of his mouth. I als have some atrophy on the lateral side of my foot because I guess it is also pressing on that nerve and causing something to happen. He said it is deep in my foot. He just didn't seem to positive or hopeful. I have to wait to have a neurologist to evaluate the pictures or whatever and then call me to set up the appointment. What I am wondering is why this happened. Also what is the chance if removed of it coming back. And the last thing is if removed how does that leave me. He said I know your quality of life is not very good right now but removing it could leave you worse than this. So that made me feel really good. Pain is about the same but it seems to slowly be progressing to worse and more . What I mean is that before I had to be on them for awhile before it started. Now I don't have to do much and there it is. Always reminding me here I am.

dfeet on 5/06/00 at 21:41 (019956)

Hi, cindy. I just posted some info on polyneuroma to you for your last post. It is said to be a benign condition/tumor that affects peripheral nerves. Please read my post. I know that it is very scarey. It is always hard to figure everything out when so much is coming at you at once. It is important that you talk to your doc about ANYTHING that may be concerning you. He/she is one of the best resources you have. I wish you all the best-dfeet

wendyn on 5/07/00 at 22:28 (019995)

I don't know much about this tumor - I do have a friend that had one removed from his leg. It had a long ugly sounding name that I wish I could remember. He could it feel it from the outside and it caused him a fair bit of pain. It was operated on by a neurosurgeon.

I'm annoyed that your doctor would drop the word 'tumor' on you without any reassurance or any real explanation. Despite the fact that many tumors are benign and easily removed - it's a scary word to hear.

Hopefully the neurologist will be more helpful.

You say that the pain is becoming worse - one thought on this - and it certainly isn't to minimize your pain or say it's all in your head.I have lower back problems in addition to my feet problems, back in September one doctor initially diagnosed me with Ankylosing Spondilitys (not looking up the spelling). That's a form of arthritis that fuses your spine together. The following two weeks were probably two of the worst ever for my back. I think that believing there was something significantly wrong with it like arthritis somehow made me much more aware of the pain.

That's not to say that the pain isn't real, and isn't there - but it certainly heightened my perception of it. Perhaps this is what's happening in your case, and maybe it's not a real indication of the problem(the tumor) itself becoming worse?

Please keep us updated on how you do and when you'll be seeing the neurologist...

Take care

Wendy

cindyp on 5/08/00 at 16:59 (020020)

Well I do hope the neurologist can be of some insight if nothing else. The reason that I say the pain is worse is that I thought I was a pf sufferer. This was 7 years ago. Until recently I had no health care and the pain was all the while slowly worsening. Imagine the feeling out of nowhere and no reason a knife stabbing you in your foot. When I found out that I now had health care via the v.a. I went to get help. The pain has increased over the years and there are days I have felt I cannot go on with this. It has made it impossible to seek much less keep gainful employment. Yes today has been a bad one and a depressing one.