Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More than coincidence

Posted by ChrisB on 5/07/00 at 12:12 (019975)

I live in Seattle and will have my third Sonorex treatment on Monday May 8. I've had PF 3 years and have tried nearly everything short of surgery. My second doctor has been very attentative to my condition and he welcomed the idea to try something new, though he cautioned that it likely will not work.
The folks at the Sonorex center in Vancouver are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the process and condition.
I noticed slight improvement after the first treatment then traveled extensively for a few days and had the worse relapse ever. I had to stay in bed for an afternoon icing, while my wife enjoyed the sights and sounds of Vegas. I returned last week for my second treatment and I have improved every day. I went on a power walk yesterday for the first time in 6 months and feel no pain today.
I have been planning to climb Mt. Rainier with my son for the past year and now feel more positive that ever that I can achieve now.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: Sonocur Sonorex

Re: More than coincidence

Rob on 5/07/00 at 13:32 (019976)

Nice to hear some encouraging remarks and I hope you have a full recovery. After your relapse I hope you know to be cautious until your third or final treatment takes effect. We would not want to see you in any more pain then is possible to avoid. Give yourself some time for a full recovery so you can enjoy the things you want to do without the chance of a set back in your recovery process. Good luck to you and I hope your second doctor is proved wrong.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Bea K on 5/07/00 at 17:36 (019981)

It is amazing to me after reading this board for the better part of a year that if someone is lucky enough to have a treatment that works they immediately talk of climbing mountains or whatever. You have this problem because of a weakness in your feet. or an injury or whatever. To avoid a lifelong problem one has to cut back and be careful of undertaking too much. Just my opinion.

ChrisB on 5/08/00 at 16:16 (020017)

I've had the desire to climb Mt Rainier long before an injury playing basketball came to be known as PF. I'm not going to accept an inflammation in my left foot as terminal anymore than one needing a quadruple bypass surgery nowadays. I accept I will always have an icepack close at hand and biking is smarter than jogging, but who knows the power the mind has over the body.

john h on 5/08/00 at 18:56 (020034)

bea: i think your opinion is on the mark. a couple of times i got my feet in 'fair' shape and then did something stupid like walk 3 or 4 miles. you are probably never completly cured of PF. you just get it under control for most people and it always lurking and waiting to make a comeback.

john h on 5/08/00 at 19:00 (020035)

chris: i remember well about 7 years ago i was running in a 10K race and thinking the little burning in my foot would never slow me down. it not only slowed me down but brought me to a complet halt after about 2 years of running through the pain. smart me i quit running and started basketball. i can now jump about 2 inches.

ChrisB on 5/09/00 at 09:22 (020065)

Gees, why don't I just retire and go sit and watch submarine races at the beach. I wonder how many people this year told Sean Elliott there was no way he could return to the NBA 9 months after a kidney transplant.
Don't want to run 10K races, I just believe I can intelligently help my body increase the tolerance over time, and achieve the goal of slowly putting one foot in front of the other for two days in August climbing Rainier.
I completed my third treatment Monday and so far so good. No pain but I'm in for some major airport walking today. Maybe I should listen to you guys and call ahead for a wheelchair at the gate or ride on one of those obnoxious electric carts. Don't think so.

ChrisO on 5/09/00 at 10:13 (020074)

Well Chris, Sean Elliott has the best doctors, therapists, trainers, age and fitness level. He also doesn't have to do a lay-up with all his weight landing repeatedly on his kidney. One assumes too that the new kidney is not chronically inflammed. I wonder if he could play if it were. In fact, last year the SD Padres' centerfielder, Steve Finley, had PF surgery with nearly instant rehab - but I'll be darned if ANYONE will tell me who his surgeon was!

Like you, I would absolutely climb Mt. Ranier if it's in the plan, I would absolutely keep ice and ibuprofen handy, I would absolutely expect to have to pay a price after that wonderful climb. If Europe was in the plan, I'd go. If my annual camping/hiking trip with my son was in the plan, I'd do it - we haven't missed one is 14 years.

Then, I would absolutely control what I could - even if that meant using an electric cart in an airport.

You totally miss the whole support nature of this board and dis the strength of character that each participant brings to it. Are you not noticing how each of us is slowly working at GETTING BACK to our running, hiking, tennis and just plain work? Nobody here is just sitting around watching submarine races.

GinaC on 5/09/00 at 10:40 (020075)

I don't think this thread is really about mountain climbing, playing sports, etc. I think the true issue issue is wanting your life back and having control over it in ways that most people take for granted. Some of the things we are motivated to do may not be helpful to our PF, but I can certainly understanding wanting to do them in a way that is free. It's extremely difficult to balance what you want to do and what you should do. Somtimes I think it is also emotionally necessary to do what you WANT to do, so as not to feel that PF has taken over your life or that it totally controls you. As human beings, we would like to think that we are in control. Learning that PF should sometimes be in control has been my hardest lesson in all this and I still don't always get it.

Bea K on 5/09/00 at 17:08 (020098)

I did not mean to rain on anyones parade or climb, however until the day when a surgeon can correct this condition completely some sense should be used. I am obviously much older than you all are and see the damage I have accrued over the years by not being careful & feeling I could overcome anything. A time does come when you simply have to accept your limitations & by being a little careful when you are young you may not have so many.

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:38 (020106)

Bea, I agree with you completely. And wise people will listen. I keep remembering lately how when I was little everyone kept saying take care of your teeth, take care of this and that, but no one said take care of your feet! I wonder when they will start saying that? --Nancy

Rob on 5/07/00 at 13:32 (019976)

Nice to hear some encouraging remarks and I hope you have a full recovery. After your relapse I hope you know to be cautious until your third or final treatment takes effect. We would not want to see you in any more pain then is possible to avoid. Give yourself some time for a full recovery so you can enjoy the things you want to do without the chance of a set back in your recovery process. Good luck to you and I hope your second doctor is proved wrong.

Bea K on 5/07/00 at 17:36 (019981)

It is amazing to me after reading this board for the better part of a year that if someone is lucky enough to have a treatment that works they immediately talk of climbing mountains or whatever. You have this problem because of a weakness in your feet. or an injury or whatever. To avoid a lifelong problem one has to cut back and be careful of undertaking too much. Just my opinion.

ChrisB on 5/08/00 at 16:16 (020017)

I've had the desire to climb Mt Rainier long before an injury playing basketball came to be known as PF. I'm not going to accept an inflammation in my left foot as terminal anymore than one needing a quadruple bypass surgery nowadays. I accept I will always have an icepack close at hand and biking is smarter than jogging, but who knows the power the mind has over the body.

john h on 5/08/00 at 18:56 (020034)

bea: i think your opinion is on the mark. a couple of times i got my feet in 'fair' shape and then did something stupid like walk 3 or 4 miles. you are probably never completly cured of PF. you just get it under control for most people and it always lurking and waiting to make a comeback.

john h on 5/08/00 at 19:00 (020035)

chris: i remember well about 7 years ago i was running in a 10K race and thinking the little burning in my foot would never slow me down. it not only slowed me down but brought me to a complet halt after about 2 years of running through the pain. smart me i quit running and started basketball. i can now jump about 2 inches.

ChrisB on 5/09/00 at 09:22 (020065)

Gees, why don't I just retire and go sit and watch submarine races at the beach. I wonder how many people this year told Sean Elliott there was no way he could return to the NBA 9 months after a kidney transplant.
Don't want to run 10K races, I just believe I can intelligently help my body increase the tolerance over time, and achieve the goal of slowly putting one foot in front of the other for two days in August climbing Rainier.
I completed my third treatment Monday and so far so good. No pain but I'm in for some major airport walking today. Maybe I should listen to you guys and call ahead for a wheelchair at the gate or ride on one of those obnoxious electric carts. Don't think so.

ChrisO on 5/09/00 at 10:13 (020074)

Well Chris, Sean Elliott has the best doctors, therapists, trainers, age and fitness level. He also doesn't have to do a lay-up with all his weight landing repeatedly on his kidney. One assumes too that the new kidney is not chronically inflammed. I wonder if he could play if it were. In fact, last year the SD Padres' centerfielder, Steve Finley, had PF surgery with nearly instant rehab - but I'll be darned if ANYONE will tell me who his surgeon was!

Like you, I would absolutely climb Mt. Ranier if it's in the plan, I would absolutely keep ice and ibuprofen handy, I would absolutely expect to have to pay a price after that wonderful climb. If Europe was in the plan, I'd go. If my annual camping/hiking trip with my son was in the plan, I'd do it - we haven't missed one is 14 years.

Then, I would absolutely control what I could - even if that meant using an electric cart in an airport.

You totally miss the whole support nature of this board and dis the strength of character that each participant brings to it. Are you not noticing how each of us is slowly working at GETTING BACK to our running, hiking, tennis and just plain work? Nobody here is just sitting around watching submarine races.

GinaC on 5/09/00 at 10:40 (020075)

I don't think this thread is really about mountain climbing, playing sports, etc. I think the true issue issue is wanting your life back and having control over it in ways that most people take for granted. Some of the things we are motivated to do may not be helpful to our PF, but I can certainly understanding wanting to do them in a way that is free. It's extremely difficult to balance what you want to do and what you should do. Somtimes I think it is also emotionally necessary to do what you WANT to do, so as not to feel that PF has taken over your life or that it totally controls you. As human beings, we would like to think that we are in control. Learning that PF should sometimes be in control has been my hardest lesson in all this and I still don't always get it.

Bea K on 5/09/00 at 17:08 (020098)

I did not mean to rain on anyones parade or climb, however until the day when a surgeon can correct this condition completely some sense should be used. I am obviously much older than you all are and see the damage I have accrued over the years by not being careful & feeling I could overcome anything. A time does come when you simply have to accept your limitations & by being a little careful when you are young you may not have so many.

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:38 (020106)

Bea, I agree with you completely. And wise people will listen. I keep remembering lately how when I was little everyone kept saying take care of your teeth, take care of this and that, but no one said take care of your feet! I wonder when they will start saying that? --Nancy