Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Muscle Atrophy due to cortizone

Posted by Colleen G on 5/07/00 at 20:32 (019987)

I started physical therapy last week. My therapist noticed signs of atrophy in the muscle and soft tissue. SHe also suspects TTS. SHe told me to see another doctor. Which I already had. Anyway, I had an appointment the day after my PT evaluation and mentioned what the PT said. He had me take off both of my shoes and compared both feet and confirmed what the PT had said. They both feel that it is from too many cortizone injections. NOt sure exactly what this means but I have another appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on May 31.

For now PT is painful. She is doing electric stimualation. Very annoying. Along with ultra sound with ibuprofen cream. That felt great. Too bad ultra sound was before the electric stimualation.

Well, I need to write a request from the DPM that performed my open fasciotemy for my records.

Re: Muscle Atrophy due to cortizone

wendyn on 5/07/00 at 22:10 (019993)

Colleen - how many shots did you have in that foot - and how far apart? Is muscle atrophy a normal or expected side effect from cortisone?

john h on 5/08/00 at 07:58 (020000)

unless you had cortisone injected directly into the muscle it is likely that a pinched nerve or nerve damage would cause atrophy to a muscle. which muscle is atrophied? 20 years ago i had low back surgery. my pain was in my left leg. since that time my right leg at the calves and thighs has always been a little larger than the other leg. surgeon says probably from nerve damage.

wendyn on 5/07/00 at 22:10 (019993)

Colleen - how many shots did you have in that foot - and how far apart? Is muscle atrophy a normal or expected side effect from cortisone?

john h on 5/08/00 at 07:58 (020000)

unless you had cortisone injected directly into the muscle it is likely that a pinched nerve or nerve damage would cause atrophy to a muscle. which muscle is atrophied? 20 years ago i had low back surgery. my pain was in my left leg. since that time my right leg at the calves and thighs has always been a little larger than the other leg. surgeon says probably from nerve damage.