Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Medrol dosepak

Posted by Pauline on 5/08/00 at 13:43 (020008)

Went to a new Dr. today. He did the Michigan Ossa Trom studies and
is waiting for FDA Approval. He advised against my going with my
husband to Europe because of the PF. Said it would really cause
more problems in the end. He prescribed a Medrol Dosepak and Vioxx. Has anyone used these drugs especially the Medrol and gotten good results. He wants me in physical therapy with deep massage and rolfing. What is rolfing??? Said casts on both feet if this doesn't work. He gets good results after 6 weeks in casts but what about
the ankle and other muscles after 6 weeks in cast?

I'm sick about him wanting me to cancel my part of our trip. Its a lot of lost air fare and disappointment.

Help Help any suggestions. He said if I went take both splints along. That's one suitcase by itself.

Re: Europe

ChrisO on 5/08/00 at 14:02 (020012)

Wow Pauline - how difficult is it to give up a trip to Europe? I know what I would do. I would go. BUT.........I would work really hard at treating my feet like they belonged at Kensington Palace! Plan out sightseeing to minimize walking,ice regularly, anti-inflammatory's regularly, a long breakfast in bed every day....., a long bubble-bath every nite........, lingerie to match my night splint, well, you get the picture!

Melody on 5/08/00 at 15:15 (020015)

Pauline,

Hire a wheel chair when you get here!!!! The Uk is almost wheel chair friendly - so are other European countries I am sure. You could sight see round lots if not most of London without putting a foot to the ground.

Having been to Disney world with a disbled friend - I do have to say we are not quite a good at it as you are!!!

One other thing - if you do decide to come...... I was a bit shocked to hear my friend referred to as 'handicapped'...we would use the term 'disabled'. Just worth remembering if you need special services while over here.

I am of course assuming you were planning a trip to the UK - which may be you are not!!*S*

Mel

caryne on 5/08/00 at 17:10 (020024)

I had two rounds of the medrol paks....they really worked good but when I came off had a terrible terrible migraine and had to go get a shot for that...at least for a couple of days my feet didn't hurt but as usual the pain came back after about 5 days off the paks.

john h on 5/08/00 at 18:41 (020030)

i had one course of medrol and it is the only medication i have ever taken for pf that worked. unfortunately it is a steriod and not suitable for long term use. i had no side effects.

as a young bachelor pilot i traveled all over europe. wow!!!

Re: Michigan Ossaron Studies

GinaC on 5/08/00 at 18:51 (020032)

I'm in MI also and was wondering who the 'Ossatron studies Dr.' is and where he is located. Very sorry to hear about his advice about Europe, but having done Disneyworld in a wheelchair, I would recommend that option if you still plan on going.

Pauline on 5/08/00 at 18:52 (020033)

Is the Medrol dosepac only a temporary fix? Does the pain return
when the pac is finished? Can you only count on 7 good days. Does
it cure the problem?

Barbara on 5/08/00 at 19:53 (020041)

Hi. I just finished my 6th and final day on Medrol today. I decided to go this root because I'm suffering from bi-lateral PF, tennis elbow, and other tendonitis conditions.

The first 2-3 days, the pain was gone everywhere. Relief, at last. Today (as the dosage is lower) the pain started to return very slightly in my heals, arches (and elbow). I'm babying my feet, hoping not to stir things up again. I had no side effects from the Medrol.

I fully expected the pain to return after I finished the pac. Just the way the pain returned in my elbow after shots. All I was hoping for is some reduction in the inflamation in my arches and then letting my body take care of the rest.

Re: Cancel your trip?

wendyn on 5/08/00 at 22:12 (020051)

Hi Pauline. I'm really surprised that your doctor would advise against your trip. How can a trip make your PF worse?(PIPE)?????

My advice?

You have tickets to Europe...'You Go Girl!' You can suffer here, or you can suffer there. Amen to the other suggestions of wheel chairs. Rent one when you get there and buy yourself a cane. I'm 31 and my ego can take it- so can yours. Don't over do it, ice lots and do lots of _sitting_ and watching the sights, and riding the bus, and watching the rivers, and the people, and the birds, and the flowers. Sit in restaurants with your feet up and drink wine and enjoy life.

I really have never heard of a vacation making anyone worse (short of a major athletic vacation) - if anything many of us seem to do better because we're not cooking, cleaning etc.

If you're still confused- call your doctor and ask him how your trip will make your PF worse. Maybe he will have a good answer that I haven't thought of.

With the medrol pack - do a search here on that and steroids/cortisone. We had some interesting discussion (both pro and con) on this a few months ago, with even our good Dr Zuckerman participating. Steroids are effective - but not without risk. A lot of people have had some temporary relief from them, but the side effects can be major. Vioxx seems to help a lot of folks with minimal side effects - maybe give that a good try first.

If you went to the doctor tomorrow and he told you that you had six months to live...would your painful feet keep you home?

Or, what happens if you stay home for the next 3 years and your feet never get better? I say pack your bags and have a wonderful time....

Re: Doc has a point

Kim B. on 5/09/00 at 20:21 (020132)

Pauline,

Your doc has a point, travel can be tough on the body, especially a 'connective tissue' area like the plantar faciitis. I have Fibromyalia, (FM) I know plenty about connective tissue pain. However! a trip to Europe is a trip to Europe! There just has to be a way to manage it. We PF'ers are a tough breed, where there is a will, there is a way!

So, plan your trip like you are pratically an invalid. Take all precautions. I wonder... if a 'walking cast' would force you (and hubby) to slow down, and accomodate your PF(?). Maybe it would get you more disabled access, cut down on the amount of time you have to stand in lines, etc... Get my drift? Outsiders would be more sympathic if they can see that something is physically wrong. It would definately put a damper on the trip, but anything short of canceling is worth considering. Ask your doc if he agrees that this as a way to force you to take care of your PF while you are in Europe. If you have PF in both feet, you could swap out the foot you wear it on, I think. Someone, correct me if I am wrong.

Proceed with caution! Without special consideration and planning, this trip could be the difference between a case of PF that will eventually go away (if you don't 'add insult to injury',) and one that turns out to be a life long affliction. (Perish the very thought!!)

Your doc wouldn't have been doing his job if he didn't strongly impress upon you that travel, site seeing, etc. would stress your feet, I feel certian that's a fact. Tell him you respect his opinion, but you have to find a way to manage the trip without causing further damage. (Docs... they just don't have the same budget concerns as the rest of us, do they? Cancel the trip... pleeeze! Tell him you'll be at his house later to help him flush some money down his toilet!)

One last note. Tell your hubby that if he will be understanding and help you manage your PF while you're in Europe, you will not get jealous or get upset if he has to leave you in the hotel room at times for extra rest. Let him run around a little without 'the gimp'. So, insist on nice rooms, you'll probably be stuck in them more often than he is! But knowing that on the front end will make it easier to accept when you're there.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 5/10/00 at 20:07 (020187)

wendy: i will let you know a week from saturday if a vacation can make you worse. my bride and i will be forced to be together for 7 straight days. i will have no computer or cat. we will have to communicate! i cannot wait!

ChrisO on 5/08/00 at 14:02 (020012)

Wow Pauline - how difficult is it to give up a trip to Europe? I know what I would do. I would go. BUT.........I would work really hard at treating my feet like they belonged at Kensington Palace! Plan out sightseeing to minimize walking,ice regularly, anti-inflammatory's regularly, a long breakfast in bed every day....., a long bubble-bath every nite........, lingerie to match my night splint, well, you get the picture!

Melody on 5/08/00 at 15:15 (020015)

Pauline,

Hire a wheel chair when you get here!!!! The Uk is almost wheel chair friendly - so are other European countries I am sure. You could sight see round lots if not most of London without putting a foot to the ground.

Having been to Disney world with a disbled friend - I do have to say we are not quite a good at it as you are!!!

One other thing - if you do decide to come...... I was a bit shocked to hear my friend referred to as 'handicapped'...we would use the term 'disabled'. Just worth remembering if you need special services while over here.

I am of course assuming you were planning a trip to the UK - which may be you are not!!*S*

Mel

caryne on 5/08/00 at 17:10 (020024)

I had two rounds of the medrol paks....they really worked good but when I came off had a terrible terrible migraine and had to go get a shot for that...at least for a couple of days my feet didn't hurt but as usual the pain came back after about 5 days off the paks.

john h on 5/08/00 at 18:41 (020030)

i had one course of medrol and it is the only medication i have ever taken for pf that worked. unfortunately it is a steriod and not suitable for long term use. i had no side effects.

as a young bachelor pilot i traveled all over europe. wow!!!

Re: Michigan Ossaron Studies

GinaC on 5/08/00 at 18:51 (020032)

I'm in MI also and was wondering who the 'Ossatron studies Dr.' is and where he is located. Very sorry to hear about his advice about Europe, but having done Disneyworld in a wheelchair, I would recommend that option if you still plan on going.

Pauline on 5/08/00 at 18:52 (020033)

Is the Medrol dosepac only a temporary fix? Does the pain return
when the pac is finished? Can you only count on 7 good days. Does
it cure the problem?

Barbara on 5/08/00 at 19:53 (020041)

Hi. I just finished my 6th and final day on Medrol today. I decided to go this root because I'm suffering from bi-lateral PF, tennis elbow, and other tendonitis conditions.

The first 2-3 days, the pain was gone everywhere. Relief, at last. Today (as the dosage is lower) the pain started to return very slightly in my heals, arches (and elbow). I'm babying my feet, hoping not to stir things up again. I had no side effects from the Medrol.

I fully expected the pain to return after I finished the pac. Just the way the pain returned in my elbow after shots. All I was hoping for is some reduction in the inflamation in my arches and then letting my body take care of the rest.

wendyn on 5/08/00 at 22:12 (020051)

Hi Pauline. I'm really surprised that your doctor would advise against your trip. How can a trip make your PF worse?(PIPE)?????

My advice?

You have tickets to Europe...'You Go Girl!' You can suffer here, or you can suffer there. Amen to the other suggestions of wheel chairs. Rent one when you get there and buy yourself a cane. I'm 31 and my ego can take it- so can yours. Don't over do it, ice lots and do lots of _sitting_ and watching the sights, and riding the bus, and watching the rivers, and the people, and the birds, and the flowers. Sit in restaurants with your feet up and drink wine and enjoy life.

I really have never heard of a vacation making anyone worse (short of a major athletic vacation) - if anything many of us seem to do better because we're not cooking, cleaning etc.

If you're still confused- call your doctor and ask him how your trip will make your PF worse. Maybe he will have a good answer that I haven't thought of.

With the medrol pack - do a search here on that and steroids/cortisone. We had some interesting discussion (both pro and con) on this a few months ago, with even our good Dr Zuckerman participating. Steroids are effective - but not without risk. A lot of people have had some temporary relief from them, but the side effects can be major. Vioxx seems to help a lot of folks with minimal side effects - maybe give that a good try first.

If you went to the doctor tomorrow and he told you that you had six months to live...would your painful feet keep you home?

Or, what happens if you stay home for the next 3 years and your feet never get better? I say pack your bags and have a wonderful time....

Re: Doc has a point

Kim B. on 5/09/00 at 20:21 (020132)

Pauline,

Your doc has a point, travel can be tough on the body, especially a 'connective tissue' area like the plantar faciitis. I have Fibromyalia, (FM) I know plenty about connective tissue pain. However! a trip to Europe is a trip to Europe! There just has to be a way to manage it. We PF'ers are a tough breed, where there is a will, there is a way!

So, plan your trip like you are pratically an invalid. Take all precautions. I wonder... if a 'walking cast' would force you (and hubby) to slow down, and accomodate your PF(?). Maybe it would get you more disabled access, cut down on the amount of time you have to stand in lines, etc... Get my drift? Outsiders would be more sympathic if they can see that something is physically wrong. It would definately put a damper on the trip, but anything short of canceling is worth considering. Ask your doc if he agrees that this as a way to force you to take care of your PF while you are in Europe. If you have PF in both feet, you could swap out the foot you wear it on, I think. Someone, correct me if I am wrong.

Proceed with caution! Without special consideration and planning, this trip could be the difference between a case of PF that will eventually go away (if you don't 'add insult to injury',) and one that turns out to be a life long affliction. (Perish the very thought!!)

Your doc wouldn't have been doing his job if he didn't strongly impress upon you that travel, site seeing, etc. would stress your feet, I feel certian that's a fact. Tell him you respect his opinion, but you have to find a way to manage the trip without causing further damage. (Docs... they just don't have the same budget concerns as the rest of us, do they? Cancel the trip... pleeeze! Tell him you'll be at his house later to help him flush some money down his toilet!)

One last note. Tell your hubby that if he will be understanding and help you manage your PF while you're in Europe, you will not get jealous or get upset if he has to leave you in the hotel room at times for extra rest. Let him run around a little without 'the gimp'. So, insist on nice rooms, you'll probably be stuck in them more often than he is! But knowing that on the front end will make it easier to accept when you're there.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 5/10/00 at 20:07 (020187)

wendy: i will let you know a week from saturday if a vacation can make you worse. my bride and i will be forced to be together for 7 straight days. i will have no computer or cat. we will have to communicate! i cannot wait!