Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

depressed/trying to cope

Posted by Beverly on 5/08/00 at 22:15 (020053)

I'm sure many of you have suffered from depression. PF is enough to depress anyone. I'm not normally given to depression. But getting well is so slow! And now, with tennis elbow and bursitis in my right elbow, I am having to limit my computer time. That has me even more depressed. My computer and I have a real love affair going. (I'm a writer at heart... even did my undergraduate degree in journalism.)

I have not yet given into anti-depressants. I want to be at the gym, but now with my upper body messed up too there is not much I can do but swim. It's okay, but not my favorite form of exercise.

On the bright side, I think my feet are marginally better. Little by little, I am on my feet more for normal activities like going to the grocery store. Even two weeks ago, I had to do the electric cart. I'm trying to see that as a good sign. But I still can't even stand in line for more than a few minutes without agony, and foot doc still says no stretching or weight against resistance which limits exercise down to the pool or biking in low gear - kind of boring.

I wonder if I should change doctors. When I saw my internist about my elbow, I inquired about his take on stretching for PF. He says the older doctors tend to be conservative and fall into the 'don't stretch' camp. The younger doctors advocate for stretching. I still don't know what to do. I've stayed with no stretching. My foot is slowly getting better, but I wonder if it is time to stretch.

I'm taking a leave of absence from work this summer to give myself both a 'mental health break' and continue physical healing. I know I am lucky I can afford to do that. I'm actually thinking about retiring early. I just turned 40.

I was raised with a mother who didn't work... did the traditional housewife thing and was a lady who lunched and did volunteer work. Babyboomer that I am, I went just the opposite, rejecting Mom's traditional life. But the more I think about it, Mom's life looks pretty good to me.
Beverly

Re: depressed/trying to cope

wendyn on 5/08/00 at 22:20 (020054)

I can relate to the depression Beverley. I have had some pretty dark days myself.

Many of us cannot stand in line - I still have major problems with this. One very creative person suggested flipping the basket over (the little shopping one not the cart!) and sitting on that in line. You look ridiculous but it works.

Or, you can do the 'pee' dance. That's where you walk back and forth, shuffle a bit - move from side to side - all in an effort to avoid standing still. Looks like you have to pee - but it does help.

Rent some really funny movies this weekend, put your feet up and try to laugh a lot. It really does help. Your family will think you're cracking up - but most of the time that scares them enough that they just stay away for a while. Sometimes the peace and quiet help.

Keep in touch.

Lauren E. on 5/08/00 at 22:57 (020055)

Beverely,
Wanted to let you know that my podiatrist(older, in a small town near me) said absolutely no stretching of my torn plantar fascia. 3 months later I had a few good days, but I still couldn't function normally. Then my good foot started having the sharp pains through my heel and arch-could barely take care of my 2 little boys! I immediately went to the head of orthopedic surgeons (who happens to specialize in feet) at a very respectable hospital near me. He said stretch, stretch, stretch!! I stretch 2 minutes 5 times a day-I know it has helped me a lot! My injured foot is in a cast for 2 more weeks, but when it comes off I will slowly start stretching it-hang in there!

Re: don't be depressed. Get well

Bob G. on 5/08/00 at 23:42 (020058)

Beverly, my experience has been mixed. My first go-around I did stretching and I was cured - age 42.

Second go-around, I could not stretch until healed - age 50.

Go figure. If you are in good shape, you may get away with stretching now. If you are older (like me), then rest it first, then stretch.

Susan S on 5/09/00 at 08:53 (020063)

Just wanted to tell you that you are surely not alone here. I'm having the longest running pity party of my life too. Last night I finally got out of bed, unleashed my splints, went into the living room and cried like someone had died. It is really frustrating to be told to rest. I asked the idiot nurse who told me that who was going to go to work and keep my job for me? Who is going to feed and clothe my family? Who is going to clean my house? It is my feet that hurt. My head still works fine, thank you.

john h on 5/09/00 at 09:27 (020066)

beverly: there are some wonderful drugs to treat depression and you should not suffer needlessly. I think i read that one out of every 3 of us will suffer from depression at some time in our lives. depression can come from chemical imbalances in the brain. these imbalances can be managed with newer drugs such as zoloft,etc. with few if any side effects. talk to your family doctor because it can worse before it gets better if you try to tough it out. i like many people always worked off my anxiety and stress through running, hard work, basketball, etc. PF took away from me my coping mechanisim and i did not deal with it very well at all for a couple of years.

john h on 5/09/00 at 09:30 (020067)

you can get different advice on stretching from different doctors. some say do some say do not while you are hurting. I have decided i do not know what is best and the moment am doing very very gentle stretching and foot massage.

Cheryl/Boston on 5/09/00 at 09:45 (020071)

Dear Beverly.......being depressed is not good I know I have been in and out of it for awhile now....do what ever you can to make yourself smile!!read every joke that comes your way go out with your girlfriends that always works for me not only because I'm with them but because i can leave my house....i want to do so much and i can't! some days it is easy some days it is not.....I'm 43 not overweight but am very active I have been resting, resting, resting....I use the crutches and I have a wheel chair(old one) that I rummaged up.. today I spray painted my crutches white I think I might paint flowers or something on them..anything for amusement!!when I think of people I love very much that have had cancer or whatever and even some that have died I realize that it could be alot worse .that sometimes helps my feeling sorry for myself..this whole foot thing gets crazy..well Beverly try to keep your chin up last eek my sister said this to me and I have been laughing ever since...if she ever knew I'm telling the world her story she would be modified... but I'm sure you won't tell...she said 'you wanna feel pain try shi#$%^ through a hemroid...!!she just cracks me up and I'm happy to say I have never felt that pain!!!!LUCKY ME,e-mail me on AOL whenever you want...SMILE

ChrisO on 5/09/00 at 09:50 (020072)

Beverly Beverly Beverly - I hear you, girl! And, you were on the board late last nite - I get that too!

This board has done two great things for me - One, GREATLY relieved my depression (It's what BobG's calling the family thing) and two, given me a sense of control over this affliction.

I understand completely now that this healing will take a long time, I understand completely that I never REALLY helped myself by consistently following the prescribed methods of treatment (I kept thinking, subconsciously, that it would just go away), and I understand that I can replace beloved activities with those that can still be rewarding and can even assume that I'll get back to those beloved activities, and I can, now, even to the smallest extent, do more almost on a weekly basis. A year ago I couldn't shop at the grocery, do the laundry or cut my husband's hair. Now I can do all that but I can't run my historical 5 miles.

Now, here's the immediate prescription, get a trashy novel and read it while drinking wine sitting in a bubble bath - top it all off with a Hershey Bar and remember that you're in charge of the PF - not the other way around.

Re: Thanks for your support

Beverly on 5/09/00 at 12:55 (020086)

Thank you for all your notes you guys have written. I'll say amen to the bubble bath! My bathtub has become a sanctuary. I light a candle every night and put on soothing music. I wish I could eat the candy bar, but I don't do sugar.

Yes, going out with friends is a tonic. And this board is great. I've visited prayer lines that aren't this active or supportive! This is really a great support group.

And thinking about other people in worse shape does make me count my blessings. For instance, I caught this before I got to the crutches stage, and when I think about how my mother coped with MS all her life, I feel like I have little to complain about.

Pain does do weird things to the mind. I am learning that pain in the hands/arms or feet is very different from pain elsewhere. I've dealt with endometrosis for a couple of years, and that pain can be terrible, but it is easier to block out. Pain in the foot is worse because we're on our feet so much, even when trying not to be. But still I'll count my blessings, because now that I have a taste of what pain in the arm can be like from my current case of Tennis Elbow/Bursistis, I have a feeling that the folks who suffer from carpal tunnel have it even worse than we do. If need be, one can stay off the foot, but it's next to impossible to avoid using the hand. So yes, thinking about the plight of others does make me count my blessings.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 15:29 (020091)

Hi, Beverly. It's true, pain does do weird things to the mind. I fell into some dark mental pits at times during the past year that I hope never to see again. Even as I was starting to improve, if I had a setback, even a short one, there was the pit just waiting for me and I'd fall right in, as if there were no improvement happening overall. Pain can really warp one's perspective, make you cranky, make your world feel small.
So it's a real learning experience in itself, isnt it? Trying to keep perspective in the middle of the pain and the fear that you'll never get your life back. I've tried really hard lately to not look back, not look forward, just keep doing what I'm doing in the present (which is going amazingly well right now) to get healed, and remembering to smell the flowers.
If you find that the depression gets fairly deep and lingers on, though, I agree with John -- do consider an antidepressant to help get you through this tough time. I have found that even a low dose can make a big difference, and keeping that black cloud from squashing your spirit can only help you physically as well. Easing the mental stress in any variety of ways can make you fit for learning to relax everything -- especially the painful parts, which really need not to be tense. I think I'm just learning to mentally relax my tight achilles tendon. It's taken me about two weeks but I'm finally getting there!
I had carpal tunnel ten years ago. It wasn't fun, but I think I'd choose that over PF any day. Could still use the hands with splints on.
Take care! --Nancy

john h on 5/09/00 at 17:45 (020108)

reading beverly's post and the responses makes me realize an important part of scotts's board is mental support. using all of the physiclal support suggestions such as orthosis, iceing,etc is extremely important but so is the emotional support we all need and which comes mostly from strangers thousands of miles away that undertand and feel your pain.

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 18:17 (020115)

So true, John. I can hardly believe it when I remember how DOWN on this internet idea I was when my husband came home one night with webtv last November. In early December, I found heelspurs.com, and I learned (am still learning) a lot about how to take care of my feet, and even more about how much the kindness and humor of strangers who KNOW can mean. 'Real' life has its place in dealing with PF, but I think the message board is a sort of miracle. Ok, if I say any more, I'll have to eat more crow after all the badmouthing about technology I've done most of my life. --Nancy

Re: Nancy, well said

Beverly on 5/09/00 at 19:10 (020125)

Nancy, well said. I've tried several 'chat lines' for different things (No, not the romantic ones...That is just too weird.) I never got into any of the other groups, but this group is really terrific.

Beverly

Steve P on 5/09/00 at 19:20 (020126)

Beverly --- From your past messages, I gather that you & I are at about the same point with PF (2.5 months in my case) & I certainly feel all the same emotions you do.
It so happens that today I went to my GP & asked for an anti-depressant. She prescribed Zoloft, which I will start taking tomorrow.
I told her that I have NEVER taken any such drug (I am 50) but that I think that the upset & tension within my body is actually contributing to the pain. She said that she has seen this effect with other patients & that she believes the antidepressant may well help alleviate the pain & even promote healing. Just wanted to pass this along.

Nicole V.R. on 5/09/00 at 21:39 (020136)

Beverly, I, too, had suffered from depression because of PF and some other factors going on in my life. Late last year I decided to seek help and started seeing a counselor, who suggested I try anti-depressants. I want to share with you that it had made a world of a difference, my PF was much easier to cope with without the feelings of depression. I stopped taking the drugs in February when I found out I was pregnant, but continued counseling and have been doing remarkably well. If you continue to feel overwhelmed with depression, I believe trying counseling may be a great start towards feeling better.
Take Care, Nicole

Cheryl/Boston on 5/10/00 at 13:04 (020152)

WOW.......Beverly you sure got alot of us talking(writing)...just remember that you are not the only one bumming out...keep smiling ....Cheryl

john h on 5/10/00 at 14:32 (020159)

steve: understand it takes about 10 days for the zoloft to provide benefits.

VickiJ on 5/10/00 at 15:06 (020164)

Hi Beverly,
As others here have posted,the depression you are experiencing is absolutely a normal reaction to what has happened to your body...and I too find the 'bubble bath' therapy a great tonic. If you can afford it, or have a birthday or anniversary coming up and someone asks you what you want consider getting a massage from a certified massage therapist....my sister did that for my birthday last year and it felt so good I practically cried on the table!

I would add one cautionary tale to the suggestions that antidepressants can help...yes, they can, but some people experience bad side effects to even small doses....when I finally gave in and took my dr's prescription to be filled I had real problems with all of the ones recommended for me prozac, zoloft, etc etc etc and it took more than a year to find out that none of them would work for me. I now use a 'natural' one which is definitly helping. If you find yourself considering an antidepressant and want to hear more of my experiences with them we can email...sorry, I'm just not interested (and think it may not be appropriate) to go into details here on the board.

Good Luck and keep hanging in there!

Re: antidepressant choices

Beverly on 5/10/00 at 16:55 (020173)

Wow! I think we did find a topic of interest here. Those of you who have written about the 'natural' route, are you talking about St. John's Wort? I've thought about that or Kava Kava.
I have not yet gotten to the point to ask the doctor for anti-depressants. It would probably be good for me, but the river of denial runs deep, and only last week did I finally admitt outloud that I am depressed. I have thought about therapy. My insurance will pay for therapy. I tend to lean towards that over anti-depressants. But it wears me out to have to tell some new therapist my life story. (I moved to the coast a year ago. My old therapist is 400 miles away.)
Finding a good therapist in a strange city is a task, or it just may be my excuse.
You all have certainly given me much to think about, and most of all, I appreciate your feedback.
I can wax poetry over massage. I get one everytime I can afford it.
I like deep tissue/sports massage except for my foot. We go gentle there. I tried reflexology. It was TORTURE. I would never do it again. But regular massage I will vote for. Actually, I am a massage junkie. For my birthday, I tried a 'stone massage.' It's a new technique. If you live in a large community or a trendy new age community and have a special occassion, I highly recommend a stone massage. If you are in the sticks, it may be hard to find. It does not go deep, but I was so relaxed I almost needed someone to drive me home. I was like jello.

Beverly

john h on 5/10/00 at 20:01 (020186)

st johns wort, prozac,zoloft all perform the same function and that is to increase the seratonin level in your brain which it is 'thought' helps control your sense of well being. talk thearpy works for some people but others rrespond very quickly to the newer drugs such a prozac or zoloft. my uncle who i grew up with is a psycharist and i lived with him on the grounds of a mental hospital in Brooklyn during my youth. these drugs did not exist in those days but they have helped millions of people out of depression. there is a lot of thearpy that takes place right here on the board as many of 'us' post things that we probably do not discuss with our friends or spouses. it is an important outlet to say the least. if scott could figure out how to get a commission for the service he provides in this area he could retire.

wendyn on 5/08/00 at 22:20 (020054)

I can relate to the depression Beverley. I have had some pretty dark days myself.

Many of us cannot stand in line - I still have major problems with this. One very creative person suggested flipping the basket over (the little shopping one not the cart!) and sitting on that in line. You look ridiculous but it works.

Or, you can do the 'pee' dance. That's where you walk back and forth, shuffle a bit - move from side to side - all in an effort to avoid standing still. Looks like you have to pee - but it does help.

Rent some really funny movies this weekend, put your feet up and try to laugh a lot. It really does help. Your family will think you're cracking up - but most of the time that scares them enough that they just stay away for a while. Sometimes the peace and quiet help.

Keep in touch.

Lauren E. on 5/08/00 at 22:57 (020055)

Beverely,
Wanted to let you know that my podiatrist(older, in a small town near me) said absolutely no stretching of my torn plantar fascia. 3 months later I had a few good days, but I still couldn't function normally. Then my good foot started having the sharp pains through my heel and arch-could barely take care of my 2 little boys! I immediately went to the head of orthopedic surgeons (who happens to specialize in feet) at a very respectable hospital near me. He said stretch, stretch, stretch!! I stretch 2 minutes 5 times a day-I know it has helped me a lot! My injured foot is in a cast for 2 more weeks, but when it comes off I will slowly start stretching it-hang in there!

Re: don't be depressed. Get well

Bob G. on 5/08/00 at 23:42 (020058)

Beverly, my experience has been mixed. My first go-around I did stretching and I was cured - age 42.

Second go-around, I could not stretch until healed - age 50.

Go figure. If you are in good shape, you may get away with stretching now. If you are older (like me), then rest it first, then stretch.

Susan S on 5/09/00 at 08:53 (020063)

Just wanted to tell you that you are surely not alone here. I'm having the longest running pity party of my life too. Last night I finally got out of bed, unleashed my splints, went into the living room and cried like someone had died. It is really frustrating to be told to rest. I asked the idiot nurse who told me that who was going to go to work and keep my job for me? Who is going to feed and clothe my family? Who is going to clean my house? It is my feet that hurt. My head still works fine, thank you.

john h on 5/09/00 at 09:27 (020066)

beverly: there are some wonderful drugs to treat depression and you should not suffer needlessly. I think i read that one out of every 3 of us will suffer from depression at some time in our lives. depression can come from chemical imbalances in the brain. these imbalances can be managed with newer drugs such as zoloft,etc. with few if any side effects. talk to your family doctor because it can worse before it gets better if you try to tough it out. i like many people always worked off my anxiety and stress through running, hard work, basketball, etc. PF took away from me my coping mechanisim and i did not deal with it very well at all for a couple of years.

john h on 5/09/00 at 09:30 (020067)

you can get different advice on stretching from different doctors. some say do some say do not while you are hurting. I have decided i do not know what is best and the moment am doing very very gentle stretching and foot massage.

Cheryl/Boston on 5/09/00 at 09:45 (020071)

Dear Beverly.......being depressed is not good I know I have been in and out of it for awhile now....do what ever you can to make yourself smile!!read every joke that comes your way go out with your girlfriends that always works for me not only because I'm with them but because i can leave my house....i want to do so much and i can't! some days it is easy some days it is not.....I'm 43 not overweight but am very active I have been resting, resting, resting....I use the crutches and I have a wheel chair(old one) that I rummaged up.. today I spray painted my crutches white I think I might paint flowers or something on them..anything for amusement!!when I think of people I love very much that have had cancer or whatever and even some that have died I realize that it could be alot worse .that sometimes helps my feeling sorry for myself..this whole foot thing gets crazy..well Beverly try to keep your chin up last eek my sister said this to me and I have been laughing ever since...if she ever knew I'm telling the world her story she would be modified... but I'm sure you won't tell...she said 'you wanna feel pain try shi#$%^ through a hemroid...!!she just cracks me up and I'm happy to say I have never felt that pain!!!!LUCKY ME,e-mail me on AOL whenever you want...SMILE

ChrisO on 5/09/00 at 09:50 (020072)

Beverly Beverly Beverly - I hear you, girl! And, you were on the board late last nite - I get that too!

This board has done two great things for me - One, GREATLY relieved my depression (It's what BobG's calling the family thing) and two, given me a sense of control over this affliction.

I understand completely now that this healing will take a long time, I understand completely that I never REALLY helped myself by consistently following the prescribed methods of treatment (I kept thinking, subconsciously, that it would just go away), and I understand that I can replace beloved activities with those that can still be rewarding and can even assume that I'll get back to those beloved activities, and I can, now, even to the smallest extent, do more almost on a weekly basis. A year ago I couldn't shop at the grocery, do the laundry or cut my husband's hair. Now I can do all that but I can't run my historical 5 miles.

Now, here's the immediate prescription, get a trashy novel and read it while drinking wine sitting in a bubble bath - top it all off with a Hershey Bar and remember that you're in charge of the PF - not the other way around.

Beverly on 5/09/00 at 12:55 (020086)

Thank you for all your notes you guys have written. I'll say amen to the bubble bath! My bathtub has become a sanctuary. I light a candle every night and put on soothing music. I wish I could eat the candy bar, but I don't do sugar.

Yes, going out with friends is a tonic. And this board is great. I've visited prayer lines that aren't this active or supportive! This is really a great support group.

And thinking about other people in worse shape does make me count my blessings. For instance, I caught this before I got to the crutches stage, and when I think about how my mother coped with MS all her life, I feel like I have little to complain about.

Pain does do weird things to the mind. I am learning that pain in the hands/arms or feet is very different from pain elsewhere. I've dealt with endometrosis for a couple of years, and that pain can be terrible, but it is easier to block out. Pain in the foot is worse because we're on our feet so much, even when trying not to be. But still I'll count my blessings, because now that I have a taste of what pain in the arm can be like from my current case of Tennis Elbow/Bursistis, I have a feeling that the folks who suffer from carpal tunnel have it even worse than we do. If need be, one can stay off the foot, but it's next to impossible to avoid using the hand. So yes, thinking about the plight of others does make me count my blessings.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 15:29 (020091)

Hi, Beverly. It's true, pain does do weird things to the mind. I fell into some dark mental pits at times during the past year that I hope never to see again. Even as I was starting to improve, if I had a setback, even a short one, there was the pit just waiting for me and I'd fall right in, as if there were no improvement happening overall. Pain can really warp one's perspective, make you cranky, make your world feel small.
So it's a real learning experience in itself, isnt it? Trying to keep perspective in the middle of the pain and the fear that you'll never get your life back. I've tried really hard lately to not look back, not look forward, just keep doing what I'm doing in the present (which is going amazingly well right now) to get healed, and remembering to smell the flowers.
If you find that the depression gets fairly deep and lingers on, though, I agree with John -- do consider an antidepressant to help get you through this tough time. I have found that even a low dose can make a big difference, and keeping that black cloud from squashing your spirit can only help you physically as well. Easing the mental stress in any variety of ways can make you fit for learning to relax everything -- especially the painful parts, which really need not to be tense. I think I'm just learning to mentally relax my tight achilles tendon. It's taken me about two weeks but I'm finally getting there!
I had carpal tunnel ten years ago. It wasn't fun, but I think I'd choose that over PF any day. Could still use the hands with splints on.
Take care! --Nancy

john h on 5/09/00 at 17:45 (020108)

reading beverly's post and the responses makes me realize an important part of scotts's board is mental support. using all of the physiclal support suggestions such as orthosis, iceing,etc is extremely important but so is the emotional support we all need and which comes mostly from strangers thousands of miles away that undertand and feel your pain.

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 18:17 (020115)

So true, John. I can hardly believe it when I remember how DOWN on this internet idea I was when my husband came home one night with webtv last November. In early December, I found heelspurs.com, and I learned (am still learning) a lot about how to take care of my feet, and even more about how much the kindness and humor of strangers who KNOW can mean. 'Real' life has its place in dealing with PF, but I think the message board is a sort of miracle. Ok, if I say any more, I'll have to eat more crow after all the badmouthing about technology I've done most of my life. --Nancy

Re: Nancy, well said

Beverly on 5/09/00 at 19:10 (020125)

Nancy, well said. I've tried several 'chat lines' for different things (No, not the romantic ones...That is just too weird.) I never got into any of the other groups, but this group is really terrific.

Beverly

Steve P on 5/09/00 at 19:20 (020126)

Beverly --- From your past messages, I gather that you & I are at about the same point with PF (2.5 months in my case) & I certainly feel all the same emotions you do.
It so happens that today I went to my GP & asked for an anti-depressant. She prescribed Zoloft, which I will start taking tomorrow.
I told her that I have NEVER taken any such drug (I am 50) but that I think that the upset & tension within my body is actually contributing to the pain. She said that she has seen this effect with other patients & that she believes the antidepressant may well help alleviate the pain & even promote healing. Just wanted to pass this along.

Nicole V.R. on 5/09/00 at 21:39 (020136)

Beverly, I, too, had suffered from depression because of PF and some other factors going on in my life. Late last year I decided to seek help and started seeing a counselor, who suggested I try anti-depressants. I want to share with you that it had made a world of a difference, my PF was much easier to cope with without the feelings of depression. I stopped taking the drugs in February when I found out I was pregnant, but continued counseling and have been doing remarkably well. If you continue to feel overwhelmed with depression, I believe trying counseling may be a great start towards feeling better.
Take Care, Nicole

Cheryl/Boston on 5/10/00 at 13:04 (020152)

WOW.......Beverly you sure got alot of us talking(writing)...just remember that you are not the only one bumming out...keep smiling ....Cheryl

john h on 5/10/00 at 14:32 (020159)

steve: understand it takes about 10 days for the zoloft to provide benefits.

VickiJ on 5/10/00 at 15:06 (020164)

Hi Beverly,
As others here have posted,the depression you are experiencing is absolutely a normal reaction to what has happened to your body...and I too find the 'bubble bath' therapy a great tonic. If you can afford it, or have a birthday or anniversary coming up and someone asks you what you want consider getting a massage from a certified massage therapist....my sister did that for my birthday last year and it felt so good I practically cried on the table!

I would add one cautionary tale to the suggestions that antidepressants can help...yes, they can, but some people experience bad side effects to even small doses....when I finally gave in and took my dr's prescription to be filled I had real problems with all of the ones recommended for me prozac, zoloft, etc etc etc and it took more than a year to find out that none of them would work for me. I now use a 'natural' one which is definitly helping. If you find yourself considering an antidepressant and want to hear more of my experiences with them we can email...sorry, I'm just not interested (and think it may not be appropriate) to go into details here on the board.

Good Luck and keep hanging in there!

Beverly on 5/10/00 at 16:55 (020173)

Wow! I think we did find a topic of interest here. Those of you who have written about the 'natural' route, are you talking about St. John's Wort? I've thought about that or Kava Kava.
I have not yet gotten to the point to ask the doctor for anti-depressants. It would probably be good for me, but the river of denial runs deep, and only last week did I finally admitt outloud that I am depressed. I have thought about therapy. My insurance will pay for therapy. I tend to lean towards that over anti-depressants. But it wears me out to have to tell some new therapist my life story. (I moved to the coast a year ago. My old therapist is 400 miles away.)
Finding a good therapist in a strange city is a task, or it just may be my excuse.
You all have certainly given me much to think about, and most of all, I appreciate your feedback.
I can wax poetry over massage. I get one everytime I can afford it.
I like deep tissue/sports massage except for my foot. We go gentle there. I tried reflexology. It was TORTURE. I would never do it again. But regular massage I will vote for. Actually, I am a massage junkie. For my birthday, I tried a 'stone massage.' It's a new technique. If you live in a large community or a trendy new age community and have a special occassion, I highly recommend a stone massage. If you are in the sticks, it may be hard to find. It does not go deep, but I was so relaxed I almost needed someone to drive me home. I was like jello.

Beverly

john h on 5/10/00 at 20:01 (020186)

st johns wort, prozac,zoloft all perform the same function and that is to increase the seratonin level in your brain which it is 'thought' helps control your sense of well being. talk thearpy works for some people but others rrespond very quickly to the newer drugs such a prozac or zoloft. my uncle who i grew up with is a psycharist and i lived with him on the grounds of a mental hospital in Brooklyn during my youth. these drugs did not exist in those days but they have helped millions of people out of depression. there is a lot of thearpy that takes place right here on the board as many of 'us' post things that we probably do not discuss with our friends or spouses. it is an important outlet to say the least. if scott could figure out how to get a commission for the service he provides in this area he could retire.