Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am not alone

Posted by Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 16:01 (020092)

Yesterday, after a good work day (5 hours, not the 10 I'm used to, but . . .) in the antiques barn with many rests, in my orthoticless hikers, I was in my chair with a heating pad wrapped around my achilles, getting ready to massage, do a tiny bit of stretching, and then ice, when in hobbled my husband a few hours early. Yes folks, he was hobbling -- from a fall at work that left him with a badly sprained ankle. It's about the size of a lemon. He hobbled in here and grabbed the ice from me. We sat here with our feet wrapped and burst out laughing and couldn't stop. We decided I was the better off, so I had to wait on HIM for a change. What a morale booster! Now I feel like superwoman.
I don't know anymore how many days it's been since I left the orthotics in the closet (ok, they're all over the house), but for me at this point the hiking boots without orthotics really seem to be working. I don't overdo it, take frequent rests, and have become religious about heat, massage, gentle stretching, and icing. And I'm able to actually get some work done -- a bigger thrill than I ever dreamed.
It was a year ago about now that one night I stuck my foot in my husband's face and said, 'Something is in there, I can't find it, but please find it and get it out of there! It's killing me!' Nothing. So I went to the PCP, and heard about this weird thing plantar fasciitis for the first time. Little did I know the agony that lay ahead -- or the incredible sweetness of life when recovery seems within reach, as it does now.
--Nancy

Re: I am not alone

Susan S on 5/09/00 at 16:34 (020094)

Not so fragile now, are you Girl?! Good For You!

Now I'm thinking I should arrange a little 'accident' for my sweet hubby:)

Re: I am not aloneRE Nancy

Laurie R on 5/09/00 at 16:43 (020095)

Hi Nancy,
You are so right !!!!!Even if your husband didn't hurt his foot you are still not alone,you have all of us we are just a post away,I am really glad you are doing so much better,remenber don't do to much for him.Have a wonderful day ,thanks for the nice post.....

Laurie R

john h on 5/09/00 at 17:10 (020099)

nancy: i am trying to visualize a girl/woman/Ms in hiking boots. Somehow i just cannot do it. Do you wear hiking shorts or what with hiking boots?

Re: I am not alone/party

ChrisO on 5/09/00 at 17:19 (020100)

So Nancy, does this mean that the first annual PF Bash is gonna be held soon - in your barn (which makes me green with envy)?

Or is that pool in yet?

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:34 (020104)

Susan, that's right, not so fragile now. I have to admit, although my husband has been mostly terrific through this, a little accident for him does increase the perspective in the household! I'm sorry you had a rough night last night. I've had those too, and actually a good cry is a release that shouldn't be underrated. Hope tonight is better for you --Nancy

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:40 (020107)

Thank you, Laurie, and yes I always remember that. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for this board and the people here . . . I just can't imagine, and don't want to.
--N.

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:52 (020111)

Well John, there's an honest question! I will try to help you visualize. No, I don't wear hiking shorts (I'm actually not a hiker, and I don't like shorts because I don't like bugs biting my magnificent legs). The truth is, I wear anything I please! Sometimes I wear pants with the boots (and a shirt of course). Sometimes I wear a short dress. Sometimes, being an antiquer, I wear longer housedresses out of nifty material from the 1940s. I'm not an outfit-maker -- my taste is pretty eclectic, so hiking boots to my mind can go with anything. Sometimes I wear them with my nightgown, before going to bed! I guess I'm not very fashionable or trendy, but it's just my own style that seems to work for me. (People don't seem to run away screaming, anyway, and every now and then I even get a compliment, hiking boots and all.) So does this help, John? I hope you aren't TOO shocked. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:55 (020113)

Chris, I am sorry to report that I've received not one donation toward the PF pool (to go in my backyard, of course). But we can still have a PF bash in my barn, I promise it's not dull in there, and all we need now is for John H to provide all the extras he described a few weeks ago in his most excellent fantasy. I think I can safely add that Laurie will bring the balloons. --Nancy

Re: I am not alone/partyRe Nancy

Laurie R on 5/09/00 at 19:25 (020128)

Hi Nancy,
Yes not only do I want to bring the ballons but ,I also want to be the bartender I need to make you my special Martini,I have been off work for almost 8 months now and I have been a bartender for 16 years so I do miss it but I have not forgot how to bartend so watch out everybody this is going to be a wild party.Maybe it will help us forget about our feet for a few hours,you think??????
Laurie R

Bob G. on 5/10/00 at 01:03 (020138)

I will be there (if I get an invite) and promise not to joke around (too much). I'll bring Gorman's Better Than Bloody Mary Mix for those who like it spicy! BG

john h on 5/10/00 at 10:11 (020148)

nancy: you sound like a refugee from the 60's! do you drive a volkswagen bus? you go girl!

john h on 5/10/00 at 10:15 (020149)

laurie: having a bartender in our group is great. i like my martini made with beefeaters, stirred not shaken, one large olive, and very dry please. i can gaze at nancy in her hiking boots, long dress, in her barn and go crazy. we could all watch the antique road show on the tele.

ChrisO on 5/10/00 at 11:31 (020150)

60's - YES! The absolute best rock 'n roll EVER produced - except for bill haley, chuck, so on and so on!

Martini's are great - but I'm thinkin' tequila sunrise......

Are the bulldozers there yet, Nancy?

Actually, I'd settle for a day in that barn full of cool stuff!

Cheryl on 5/10/00 at 13:45 (020156)

How inspiring your post is Nancy! i hope you can laugh that hard every day!! it really helps....god bless......

Nancy S. on 5/10/00 at 16:41 (020169)

You're right, Cheryl, hard laughter helps A LOT.
You're right, John, I confess, I am at least half refugee from the late sixties. No VW bus . . . I've graduated to a Ford van -- automatic, thanks to The Foot. See, you visualize just fine!
You're right, Chris, that sixties music -- how about That Band? 'The Last Waltz' is one of my all-time favorite movies. And 'Annie Hall.'
Well, I didn't have enough laughs today (but it's only today). Went looking for a mother's day present in those big stores, which I hardly ever visit, and think I'll avoid them for another few years. Big stores don't go well with PF. I'm eager to heat, massage, stretch, and ice tonight! It's better in the barn, which isn't as big, and how I wish I really could throw a PF party for you all. If I were in the middle of the country, it might actually work! But I'm stuck up here in a corner. Too bad . . . but maybe if I build it, 'they' will come . . . Have a good night, all. --Nancy

Trish on 5/10/00 at 22:27 (020194)

How about a barn dance?!?!?!?

Susan S on 5/09/00 at 16:34 (020094)

Not so fragile now, are you Girl?! Good For You!

Now I'm thinking I should arrange a little 'accident' for my sweet hubby:)

Laurie R on 5/09/00 at 16:43 (020095)

Hi Nancy,
You are so right !!!!!Even if your husband didn't hurt his foot you are still not alone,you have all of us we are just a post away,I am really glad you are doing so much better,remenber don't do to much for him.Have a wonderful day ,thanks for the nice post.....

Laurie R

john h on 5/09/00 at 17:10 (020099)

nancy: i am trying to visualize a girl/woman/Ms in hiking boots. Somehow i just cannot do it. Do you wear hiking shorts or what with hiking boots?

ChrisO on 5/09/00 at 17:19 (020100)

So Nancy, does this mean that the first annual PF Bash is gonna be held soon - in your barn (which makes me green with envy)?

Or is that pool in yet?

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:34 (020104)

Susan, that's right, not so fragile now. I have to admit, although my husband has been mostly terrific through this, a little accident for him does increase the perspective in the household! I'm sorry you had a rough night last night. I've had those too, and actually a good cry is a release that shouldn't be underrated. Hope tonight is better for you --Nancy

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:40 (020107)

Thank you, Laurie, and yes I always remember that. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for this board and the people here . . . I just can't imagine, and don't want to.
--N.

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:52 (020111)

Well John, there's an honest question! I will try to help you visualize. No, I don't wear hiking shorts (I'm actually not a hiker, and I don't like shorts because I don't like bugs biting my magnificent legs). The truth is, I wear anything I please! Sometimes I wear pants with the boots (and a shirt of course). Sometimes I wear a short dress. Sometimes, being an antiquer, I wear longer housedresses out of nifty material from the 1940s. I'm not an outfit-maker -- my taste is pretty eclectic, so hiking boots to my mind can go with anything. Sometimes I wear them with my nightgown, before going to bed! I guess I'm not very fashionable or trendy, but it's just my own style that seems to work for me. (People don't seem to run away screaming, anyway, and every now and then I even get a compliment, hiking boots and all.) So does this help, John? I hope you aren't TOO shocked. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 5/09/00 at 17:55 (020113)

Chris, I am sorry to report that I've received not one donation toward the PF pool (to go in my backyard, of course). But we can still have a PF bash in my barn, I promise it's not dull in there, and all we need now is for John H to provide all the extras he described a few weeks ago in his most excellent fantasy. I think I can safely add that Laurie will bring the balloons. --Nancy

Laurie R on 5/09/00 at 19:25 (020128)

Hi Nancy,
Yes not only do I want to bring the ballons but ,I also want to be the bartender I need to make you my special Martini,I have been off work for almost 8 months now and I have been a bartender for 16 years so I do miss it but I have not forgot how to bartend so watch out everybody this is going to be a wild party.Maybe it will help us forget about our feet for a few hours,you think??????
Laurie R

Bob G. on 5/10/00 at 01:03 (020138)

I will be there (if I get an invite) and promise not to joke around (too much). I'll bring Gorman's Better Than Bloody Mary Mix for those who like it spicy! BG

john h on 5/10/00 at 10:11 (020148)

nancy: you sound like a refugee from the 60's! do you drive a volkswagen bus? you go girl!

john h on 5/10/00 at 10:15 (020149)

laurie: having a bartender in our group is great. i like my martini made with beefeaters, stirred not shaken, one large olive, and very dry please. i can gaze at nancy in her hiking boots, long dress, in her barn and go crazy. we could all watch the antique road show on the tele.

ChrisO on 5/10/00 at 11:31 (020150)

60's - YES! The absolute best rock 'n roll EVER produced - except for bill haley, chuck, so on and so on!

Martini's are great - but I'm thinkin' tequila sunrise......

Are the bulldozers there yet, Nancy?

Actually, I'd settle for a day in that barn full of cool stuff!

Cheryl on 5/10/00 at 13:45 (020156)

How inspiring your post is Nancy! i hope you can laugh that hard every day!! it really helps....god bless......

Nancy S. on 5/10/00 at 16:41 (020169)

You're right, Cheryl, hard laughter helps A LOT.
You're right, John, I confess, I am at least half refugee from the late sixties. No VW bus . . . I've graduated to a Ford van -- automatic, thanks to The Foot. See, you visualize just fine!
You're right, Chris, that sixties music -- how about That Band? 'The Last Waltz' is one of my all-time favorite movies. And 'Annie Hall.'
Well, I didn't have enough laughs today (but it's only today). Went looking for a mother's day present in those big stores, which I hardly ever visit, and think I'll avoid them for another few years. Big stores don't go well with PF. I'm eager to heat, massage, stretch, and ice tonight! It's better in the barn, which isn't as big, and how I wish I really could throw a PF party for you all. If I were in the middle of the country, it might actually work! But I'm stuck up here in a corner. Too bad . . . but maybe if I build it, 'they' will come . . . Have a good night, all. --Nancy

Trish on 5/10/00 at 22:27 (020194)

How about a barn dance?!?!?!?