Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Oxycise"?

Posted by VickiJ on 5/10/00 at 15:09 (020165)

Has anyone tried this exercise? I heard the woman who wrote the book about these 'aggressive' breathing exercises that are supposed to help burn calories/lose weight (read: aerobic exercise equals burning oxygen, not necessarily moving). I'm very interested in hearing if anyone has tried this. Alan and other yoga folks...have you heard about this? or have your own theories?

Re: "Oxycise"?

Bob G. on 5/10/00 at 22:50 (020197)

Hi, Vickie! Just did a search for 'oxycise' and found many web sites BUT none with any definitive information about what it is or what it does. They all want your money.

When I jog, I breath hard. If I were to breath that hard without the exercise I would pass out from hyperventilating.

Do you know of a way to breath hard without the exercise? I'd be interested. Thanks!

Re: oxycise

Vicki J on 5/11/00 at 07:52 (020201)

I can't even begin to attempt to describe how the author was able to describe her 'vigorous breathing' exercises over the radio so that I was able to understand what she meant, but they are nothing like the breathing one does while doing aerobic activities...and yes, the sites are not helpful...which is why I was looking for someone who has tried them...I may order the book simply because I'm interested in breathing exercises in general and I found her list of research supporting the concept of using oxygen efficiently, etc to increase metabolic rate, etc etc etc very compelling.

Susan S on 5/11/00 at 09:21 (020207)

I have a friend that swears by it. She lent me the video but I couldn't master the techniques . They were unusual. But, lie I said, she swears by it.

Beth D. on 5/11/00 at 14:09 (020230)

This sounds too good to be true.

alan k on 5/11/00 at 20:02 (020236)

Hi Vicky,

Although I don't know anything about 'oxycise' other than what you say, it is true that you can invigorate yourself with deep breathing and diaphragmatic rapid and forceful breathing exercises. This fad is almost 99% sure to have been copied from yoga breathing. In moderation, the oxycise is probably not dangerous and will probably raise metabolism and body temperature briefly, and may also interrupt stress and have a good effect on your health. I say, go for it (or take out a book in the library or browse in the bookstroe for cheaper and possibly more reliable instructions on yoga breathing).

But do remember these are not to be played with too much, and are in yoga generally thought to be advanced practices. Practicing this a little bit a day may be okay, but real dedication to it could be bad for your nervous system. If practiced correctly and according to thousand year traditions and part of a total yoga practice, serious use if fine. But in the oxycise 'tradition,' who can say.

alan k

Bob G. on 5/10/00 at 22:50 (020197)

Hi, Vickie! Just did a search for 'oxycise' and found many web sites BUT none with any definitive information about what it is or what it does. They all want your money.

When I jog, I breath hard. If I were to breath that hard without the exercise I would pass out from hyperventilating.

Do you know of a way to breath hard without the exercise? I'd be interested. Thanks!

Vicki J on 5/11/00 at 07:52 (020201)

I can't even begin to attempt to describe how the author was able to describe her 'vigorous breathing' exercises over the radio so that I was able to understand what she meant, but they are nothing like the breathing one does while doing aerobic activities...and yes, the sites are not helpful...which is why I was looking for someone who has tried them...I may order the book simply because I'm interested in breathing exercises in general and I found her list of research supporting the concept of using oxygen efficiently, etc to increase metabolic rate, etc etc etc very compelling.

Susan S on 5/11/00 at 09:21 (020207)

I have a friend that swears by it. She lent me the video but I couldn't master the techniques . They were unusual. But, lie I said, she swears by it.

Beth D. on 5/11/00 at 14:09 (020230)

This sounds too good to be true.

alan k on 5/11/00 at 20:02 (020236)

Hi Vicky,

Although I don't know anything about 'oxycise' other than what you say, it is true that you can invigorate yourself with deep breathing and diaphragmatic rapid and forceful breathing exercises. This fad is almost 99% sure to have been copied from yoga breathing. In moderation, the oxycise is probably not dangerous and will probably raise metabolism and body temperature briefly, and may also interrupt stress and have a good effect on your health. I say, go for it (or take out a book in the library or browse in the bookstroe for cheaper and possibly more reliable instructions on yoga breathing).

But do remember these are not to be played with too much, and are in yoga generally thought to be advanced practices. Practicing this a little bit a day may be okay, but real dedication to it could be bad for your nervous system. If practiced correctly and according to thousand year traditions and part of a total yoga practice, serious use if fine. But in the oxycise 'tradition,' who can say.

alan k