Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The "shots" rut

Posted by Susan S on 5/11/00 at 09:31 (020208)

I went back yesterday hoping for some relief. Talked with the ortho regarding surgery which he says is useless and really hasn't proved effective in the long run. Talked with him regarding casting which he says is definately an option. However, since now BOTH feet are involved, which do you cast and which do you ruin? So we decided to try the shots in my right foot hoping to get it well enough to cast my left. So I took a shot in my foot, made an appointment Monday to get a shot in the left, and went to the house to the ice bag. When hubby comes home and we are talking he asked me an interesting question. What exactly are the shots suppose to do? Hmm, don't know. I know that it is to combat the inflammation and the dr said that he felt that puncturing the fascia seemed to stimulate blood flow which benefits as much as the medication.

So, my question still is : What exactly are the shots suppose to do?

Re: The "shots" rut

Cheryl/Boston on 5/11/00 at 12:12 (020219)

are you talking cortizone shots? I had three.. did not do a thing for me but numb it for a few hours....and that was from the novicain b/4 the shot...

Susan S on 5/11/00 at 12:19 (020220)

Yup, that the ones. I had two in my left this winter from a pod that did nothing. The shots and the $300 custom orthodic that I was never able to wear were all he did and he didn't have any other options for treatment so I changed to an orthopaedic. He started out in a more comforting direction offering nightsplints and Vioxx. Now here we are back at the shots again.....

Barbara on 5/11/00 at 13:22 (020225)

Please be careful about getting too many shots. THEY ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. If 1 or 2 didn't work, I don't see why a 3rd or 4th or more would. They are dangerous and can cause real damage if given to many times to an area.

I had wrist tendonitis many years ago and received shots in the wrist/thumb area. (Talk about turture) They did nothing. I have severe tennis elbow now and took 2 shots there. They did nothing. I also have bi-lateral PF and will never take a shot there.

Pat M on 5/11/00 at 16:28 (020234)

All I can say is that I had THE shot on Tuesday (9th) and guess what? I started hurting today again. I thought there would be more relief. Guess not. Very dissapointing.
Pat M

Cheryl/Boston on 5/11/00 at 12:12 (020219)

are you talking cortizone shots? I had three.. did not do a thing for me but numb it for a few hours....and that was from the novicain b/4 the shot...

Susan S on 5/11/00 at 12:19 (020220)

Yup, that the ones. I had two in my left this winter from a pod that did nothing. The shots and the $300 custom orthodic that I was never able to wear were all he did and he didn't have any other options for treatment so I changed to an orthopaedic. He started out in a more comforting direction offering nightsplints and Vioxx. Now here we are back at the shots again.....

Barbara on 5/11/00 at 13:22 (020225)

Please be careful about getting too many shots. THEY ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. If 1 or 2 didn't work, I don't see why a 3rd or 4th or more would. They are dangerous and can cause real damage if given to many times to an area.

I had wrist tendonitis many years ago and received shots in the wrist/thumb area. (Talk about turture) They did nothing. I have severe tennis elbow now and took 2 shots there. They did nothing. I also have bi-lateral PF and will never take a shot there.

Pat M on 5/11/00 at 16:28 (020234)

All I can say is that I had THE shot on Tuesday (9th) and guess what? I started hurting today again. I thought there would be more relief. Guess not. Very dissapointing.
Pat M